Home Metal Detecting
Options

Couldn't hold out any longer

I just received permission to detect an old war camp from 1863 last night. I had the itch so bad to go hunting I could
hardly sleep. To make a long story short my son and I hit the site right after church. Had to use a chisel and hammer
to get through the frost, but it was well worth it. My son found the civil war bullet and I found the button.
The camp site is where Sibley's sioux indian expedition started from.image

Comments

• Options
    think I'd have the itch too!

Any back markings (writing on the back of the button)?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool findings.. and under the circumstances - amazing. Good luck as your search goes forward. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭

<< <i>Any back markings (writing on the back of the button)? >>

No markings on the back. The button is a reddish color, not what I expected them to be.
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Nice job getting out there and making it happen. Perseverance pays off! Very nice finds.
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    troopers for sure!...nice diggins...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Nice finds!.......I'll bet there's a ton of stuff still there.....image
  • Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭
    Nice
    How long does your permission to dig last? Should be great when the nicer weather hits.
    I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options
    I have all year to hunt it. But he'll be planting corn on the field so when the corn is too high It'll get hard to detect.
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Dave, flip that button over and take a pic of it for me. I want to see the "a$$" end of it image I want to see how it was made and put together. Thanks!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome!

I've never seen a one-ring bullet like that. Almost all of mine are 3-ring Minies (Yankee, probably). One is a no-ring Confederate Enfield bullet.

Now that's the good stuff! Bravo!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Dave, flip that button over and take a pic of it for me. I want to see the "a$$" end of it image I want to see how it was made and put together. Thanks! >>

After I dug the button I was gently rubbing the dirt off and the back came off. So here it is.
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    If you look at the button I found, it was made the same way. Mine was crushed into itself so it looks like crap. I was just curious if it matched with the way yours was made. That helps me validate the time range. If you want some info on buttons, or you are trying to attribute one, check out this site, he has a ton of buttons for sale and info on them. Thanks for the pics!
    Todd
  • Options
    Very nice finds there. I can just imagine how excited you are about being able to hunt there. Please keep us posted on your future outings there.

Speer34

imageimageimage