Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

MS69 MORGAN - 1896-s

ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
Seriously now...

imageimageimage
image

Comments

  • Options
    a prime example of a coin you really wouldn't want to staple scratch image
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭
    I wish there were better photos. That's got to be a killer coin, and it looks ok in the pics.

    -Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    Yes, that is a wonder coin, undoubtedly preserved immediately upon striking without ever having been thrown into a hopper. And of all things a '96-S ...
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the Jack Lee set; its been for sale off and on in recent years an me mit no munny in that rangeimage
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Upgrade candidate? image >>



    image

    I seriously doubt PCGS or NGC would grade a circualtion strike Morgan as MS70 !!!

    TC71

    image
  • Options
    That is one imageimagecoin!!!
  • Options
    That is just absolutely astounding!!

    I would truly love to see that coin in hand. Not that I would ever be in that group of bidders, but how much does that thing trade for at auction?
    Spare your best friend's life!! Adopt an adult dog at your local "kill" animal shelter. You will be changed.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,669 ✭✭✭
    That one gives me goose bumps every time.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a coin!
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    Sunshine Rare CoinsSunshine Rare Coins Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sold for 400k in 2005
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image

  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    A PCGS MS70 Morgan Dollar was reported on these boards a couple of years ago. However, it soon turned out to be a mechanical error. I think it was a common date like 1881-S, and nothing but such a rare coin in any of the higher grades as this 1896-S.

    I love it, as I do with almost all 68/69 19th century coins.

    Dennis
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 45,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That one's just nice enough to get milk spots image

    Practice makes perfect & nobody is perfect. So, practice being nobody.

  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that ex: Eliasberg?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing... truly a beautiful coin.... and NO toning... (that alone should make it a 70 image ) Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Is that ex: Eliasberg? >>



    If I remember the auction description the last time it sold, this coin is Ex: Clapp/Eliasberg/Jack Lee 1/Jack Lee 2.

    I will check it out.

    Dennis
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭✭
    Crazy classic collectors...
    Squeeked into a 9 holder...
    I'll take a high end 8 anyday...
    A fool and his money...
    Nobody can tell the difference of one grade....
    I'd bet that you crack that sucker and it'll never get back into a 9 holder...
    It is just a microscopic pinhole from a 70...
    It's a HOW MANY fold jump from 68?
    How much for under an ounce of silver?
    Silly widgets...
    image
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>Is that ex: Eliasberg? >>



    If I remember the auction description the last time it sold, this coin is Ex: Clapp/Eliasberg/Jack Lee 1/Jack Lee 2.

    I will check it out.

    Dennis >>



    It seems I'm messing up things on this sunday afternoon, but the auction descreption nor the registry set says anything about its former pedigree. Maybe some Morgan Expert can shed some light on this?
  • Options
    I saw a MS69 morgan at the ANA show last March. It was in a dealer's case (can't remember which dealer), and it was an 1880S. NGC MS69. The luster on that puppy was blinding! And nary a contact mark. Beautiful coin.
    image
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    No, the MS69 is not from the Eliasberg Collection as far as I know. I don't know where it came from. I'm not home, so I can't look up the 1896-S in Eliasberg. Can anyone else take a look and remind me what it was?
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow....just wow.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Upgrade candidate? image >>



    Even if it WERE an MS70, NGC nor PCGS would grade it as such... integrity would be on the line.
    image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't that the one that HRH wrote about along with the high grade 1884-s recently?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    And here I was expecting a link to an ebay auction for some PCANGS grading company coin.

    morris
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

    ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

    www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    That really needs a high quality photo to show it off.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    That is an absolutely fantastic coin...almost worth trading the house for it. image
    aka Dan
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139 ✭


    << <i>Is that ex: Eliasberg? >>



    Nope. The Eliasberg specimen was lightly toned over the devices but was a very attractive superb gem.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    Give that one to mgoodm3 to image for goodness' sake!
  • Options
    I've had the pleasure to view that coin in hand (along with the fabulous 1884-S) numerous times over the years. Nick Buzolich (a dealer with whom I used to partner a lot of spectacular coins in the "raw" days) showed me this coin at a Glendale Coin Show in the late 1970's and told me he had it on memo from dealer Chuck Walanka. It is among the finest mint state dollars I have ever seen. It's so nice it'll take your breath away. By the way, the monster mint state 1884-S dollar also came from Chuck Walanka.

    Mikey image
    DE FALCO NUMISMATIC CONSULTING
    Visit Our Website @ www.numisvision.com
    Specializing in DMPL Dollars, MONSTER toners and other Premium Quality U.S. Coins

    *** Visit Mike De Falco's NEW Coin Talk Blog! ***
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    At least get a TruView on it.
    image
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139 ✭


    << <i>I've had the pleasure to view that coin in hand (along with the fabulous 1884-S) numerous times over the years. Nick Buzolich (a dealer with whom I used to partner a lot of spectacular coins in the "raw" days) showed me this coin at a Glendale Coin Show in the late 1970's and told me he had it on memo from dealer Chuck Walanka. It is among the finest mint state dollars I have ever seen. It's so nice it'll take your breath away. By the way, the monster mint state 1884-S dollar also came from Chuck Walanka.

    Mikey image >>



    I believe Hall bout both of them together, but might be mistaken.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,961 ✭✭✭


    << <i>That really needs a high quality photo to show it off. >>



    image

    The reverse looks almost like the SF commem silver dollar from a couple years ago.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I have seen this coin in person before. The pictures are fairly accurate.

    I may be mistaken, but I believe this coin is possibly available on the market right now.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,672 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>I've had the pleasure to view that coin in hand (along with the fabulous 1884-S) numerous times over the years. Nick Buzolich (a dealer with whom I used to partner a lot of spectacular coins in the "raw" days) showed me this coin at a Glendale Coin Show in the late 1970's and told me he had it on memo from dealer Chuck Walanka. It is among the finest mint state dollars I have ever seen. It's so nice it'll take your breath away. By the way, the monster mint state 1884-S dollar also came from Chuck Walanka.

    Mikey image >>



    I believe Hall bout both of them together, but might be mistaken. >>



    He did and posted here about it. HRH speaketh....
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    Nick Buzolich showed me the 1884-S dollar prior to the 1896-S dollar -- I did not see them together at that time. Both coins did in fact come from Chuck Walanka and Nick presented both of them to me on separate occasions to see if I wanted to partner the coins with him. I believe the asking price was about $10,000 for each coin -- a GODZILLA price tag at the time (so much so that I passed). BTW, I was a guy known for paying ridiculously high prices for monster dollar even way back then -- heck, I paid HRH $5,000 for the Bruce Todd prooflike 1901-P dollar in the mid-seventies (it currently resides in a PCGS MS63 PL holder). I have to admit that on numerous occasions over the years I regret not having purchased both coins. For the life of me I can't believe that the price scared me off -- oh well, you can't win 'em all.

    Mikey image
    DE FALCO NUMISMATIC CONSULTING
    Visit Our Website @ www.numisvision.com
    Specializing in DMPL Dollars, MONSTER toners and other Premium Quality U.S. Coins

    *** Visit Mike De Falco's NEW Coin Talk Blog! ***
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139 ✭
    We all have those regrets for sure for passing on a coin here and there.

    I think I'll do a thread on some VAMs I blew off spectacularly in the critical 10-15 year ago window. Boy, did I blow it on some of them. Kept some disorganized notes to remind me of such monumental mistakes.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>image >>



    imageimage
  • Options
    Mikey (coingame2000) always knows the scoop on monsters !!!!!

    image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Wowsa

    Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1881 S ex Jackson Hole MS68

    a few minute contact marks....image
  • Options


    << <i>Mikey (coingame2000) always knows the scoop on monsters !!!!!

    image >>



    Doug: I certainly do know the scoop or have been directly involved in the purchase and sale of more than a few monsters. I guess that's the benefit of being a real OLD timer in this bizz...

    Mikey image
    DE FALCO NUMISMATIC CONSULTING
    Visit Our Website @ www.numisvision.com
    Specializing in DMPL Dollars, MONSTER toners and other Premium Quality U.S. Coins

    *** Visit Mike De Falco's NEW Coin Talk Blog! ***
  • Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭
    Speachless.
    I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

    You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.


Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file