Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Ted (Williams) Shows (Epstein) How

Apparently, Ted gave Epstein a lot of help with his batting technique in '69.

1969 Topps (not my card - scan "borrowed" from eBay)

...and he put up his best numbers that year:

YEAR G AB R H 2B 3B HR BA
1969 131 403 73 112 18 1 30 0.278
"Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Teddy Ballgame! The greatest hitter ever!!!! image
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Teddy Ballgame! The greatest hitter ever!!!! image >>

Teddy was great, but he was no Cobb. image

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    Ted had unauthorized condoms, Pete had cigs, what did Cobb have?
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ted had unauthorized condoms, Pete had cigs, what did Cobb have? >>

fists
  • Ty Cobb's two best seasons in his entire career came at same age when Williams was not allowed to play professional baseball

Overall Cobb was better at hitting singles. With a bat in his hands Williams was better at every thing else, even when accounting fo the way the game changed

The case for Williams being the best hitter ever is so obvious it needs no mention. The case for him being the best player ever isn't so obvious, but it definitely deserves strong consideration

Couldn't teach the skill, though. Even Yastrzemski has made comments that trying to learn hitting from Williams would be like trying to learn running from Secretariat. He did it on such an inhuman level. Devoted himself to it more than anyone in history and was still talking about hitting and studying it the year he died
    Tom
  • jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭

<< <i>

fists >>

A white sheet with a point at the top?
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    u accusing cobb of being in the kkk?

am i missing something?

great background on epstein & ted (my kids fought over my frozen dome) williams.

j
    RIP GURU
  • Cobb wasn't KKK, nor was it simply racism... During his youth and playing days, he was a mean mutha whom despised everyone. Yet, he was a giving philanthropist.

While growing up in post Civil War Georgia prejudice was as much a part of the diet as okra, grits and collard greens... Take a little time to read the facts as presented accurately by Mr Burgess;
    Ty Bio

• Tris Speaker is the early baseball star centerfielder that was the well known as a KKK member during those years the Klan tried to go mainstream. From the end of reconstruction to around McCarthy-era KKK was not synonomous with terrorism
    Tom
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    that cobb photo would make a gnarly t-shirt!

wow

j
    RIP GURU
  • MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yet, he was a giving philanthropist. >>

My boss, knowing I had an interest in such thing, brought in a group of letters he found in the files of his city's Little League office. 4-5 handwritten letters from Ty Cobb, all regarding his support (and getting other players involved) in the youth sports programs around Menlo Park, CA where he lived at the time. Seemed he was quite active in supporting kids programs.
  • ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    While growing up in post Civil War Georgia prejudice was as much a part of the diet as okra, grits and collard greens...
    Ty Bio

>>

Thanks for posting the link. I read several things I didn't know. While I am glad to see that Mr Cobb may have had a slight change of heart later in life, I don't think its fair in anyway to justify his behavior because it was common. Ignorance is around all of us.
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • >... Ignorance is around all of us.<

As well as intolerance... "If they ain't like me, then they're sub-human."

• << <i>

<< <i>Teddy Ballgame! The greatest hitter ever!!!! image >>

Teddy was great, but he was no Cobb. image

image >>

As Cobb was no Aaron...

Atlanta Braves, Charlotte Hornets, Shawn Kemp, Dale Murphy, and Bobby Engram.
  • Typical Ty Cobb:

By mid-1925, he had finally had enough of reporters asking him about Babe Ruth's awesome home run prowess. Cobb, who had a split-handed grip that gave him more bat control but less power, had a well-known disdain for the long ball and the boisterous Babe, and told reporters that hitting home runs didn't take any special skill. To prove his point, he slid his hands down to the knob of the bat, Ruthian style, then hit three HR in that day's game against the Browns (5/5/25). To pound the point home, he hit two more the next day.
  • fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    I like that card. Does anyone think there will be a .400 hitter for the year in baseball ever again?