Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Who is your Ebay rival?

Some of you may not be aware of this, but I'm a Dale Murphy collector. On the other hand, some of you already knew that. Just wanted to say that. Not really sure why, but there, I said it. Being a DM collector, I find myself bidding on many Ebay auctions of his. For about three years now, there has been a very disturbing trend. I lose and lose often. I really don't even sniff winning. I'm like the Washington Generals of Ebay. The main cause of this frustration is two seperate culprits, Gungho1 and Timepage. Anyone else out there have an Ebay nemisis also? If so, were naming names.
Collector of Dale Murphy
Collector of OPC 1980-1985

Comments

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    mattntonya image

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>mattntonya image >>

You better be not trying to move in on my Emmitt action Barry!

• Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭
    i have had one lately myself on some raider cards and a
    few big ticket items,name=chipboy.
    i gotta give it up to him,he sees something he wants its his no problem.
    i always wonder if hes a member on the boards,buys alot of big$ items
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    I be not, Matt image

• Options
    their fees
  • Options
    samspopsamspop Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭
    mrwally3, mcguiremuseum, onionring9
  • Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    Mine would be shoeheart mostly for errors/proofs. On the flipside, I am a nemesis for josefina1747. I bid on purpose to cost him extra money but only on stuff I wouldn't mind buying if I win. Long story..........google josefina1747 for details.
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    mintmoondog seems to bid on a lot of the same things that I do!!
  • Options
    everyone
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    A few I remember getting crushed by not long ago are, fellow board member JrFan, hustledouble, majoryankeefan, sufferjet,,,,,, the list goes on but those are the one's that are on the top of my head.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Sorry Davidpuddy
  • Options
    cincyfan01 used to seem like my arch enemy, although i haven't seen him on there in forever.
    WTB:
    CINCINNATI REDS
    1976 - 1991 - Topps PSA 10
    1983 & 1985 Fleer PSA 10
    1985 Donruss PSA 10
    Blue Ink Signed Topps Cards
    Game-Used Bats/Jerseys
    OPC PSA 10
    MC & OC Cards

OTHER:
    Eric Davis Anything
    Votto, Willingham, Cantu, Doumit, Gomes
    Baron Davis Game Used Jersey
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Someone I won't name, because he posts here,
    ends up costing me an extra 500 bucks or so on many cards.

That's okay, there's someone I bid against that I end up costing him hundreds of bucks
    or more on most auctions that he wins that I bid on even though I know he will win anyway.

All part of the game, and all part of the fun. image
    Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    TZAHLTZAHL Posts: 649 ✭✭
    Whoever reports my 'take your choice' heritage auctions.
    Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP
    2003 Topps Heritage chrome and seat relics
    2006 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2007 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2008 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2006 Topps Heritage and Topps Chrome football
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>mintmoondog seems to bid on a lot of the same things that I do!! >>

Yeah, me too. I checked out his latest buys and discovered that he buys pretty much everything in a PSA slab.
  • Options
    Oprah.
  • Options
    majoryankeefan... same for me, Mr. Puddy!

Sorry if anyone here is him. MYF has got a bigger bankroll than I and seems to LOVE O-Pee-Chee. It sometimes miffs me.
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Yep,
    MajorYankeeFan
    There's only a few consistent OPC bidders and he's gotten me one too many times.
    He's a board member, but I can't remember who.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Major eBay rival action tonight. I can't believe I lost these. Heck, I was sniping! Are any of these you guys?

1979 Carlton Fisk PSA 10 (pop 9)
    My bid: $111.00
    Winning Bid: $113.50
    RIVAL: anoldcard

1961-62 Fleer BGS 7.5 (Old Label)
    My Bid: $207.00
    Winning Bid: 209.39
    RIVAL: layehays

1983 Topps Carl Yastrzemski PSA 10
    My bid: $29.00
    Winning Bid: $30.00
    RIVAL: etlipar
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    everyone who has ever bid against me.
  • Options
    I guess mine is some guy named "wilson49ers" or real close to that. All the guy bids on is Steve Young items. Interestingly, the guy bought one of my Steve Young lots a couple months ago and he also lives in Kansas.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    For the Pete Rose collectors, I would assume they all know that korthjc is the one that seems to have unlimited pockets. It's all but over if he gets involved.
    kev

keeping my ears open for oddball cards of Rose from the 60's and 70's.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    pittflash and mazman.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lmayer. But no hard feelings, I just bought from him.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    mattntonya
    -Rome is Burning

• Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Pauljas was in my crosshairs a few years ago, but no longer. The guy's actually nice, kind of a nut though.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭
    Back in the late 90's when I was on the Bledseo Bandwadon there were 2 who would outbid me all the time

bledsoenut was one of them. Can't think of the other.

I only remember bledsoenut because he recently bid on a Bledsoe I listed.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Rod Stewart.
  • Options
    jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭

<< <i>Mine would be shoeheart mostly for errors/proofs. On the flipside, I am a nemesis for josefina1747. I bid on purpose to cost him extra money but only on stuff I wouldn't mind buying if I win. Long story..........google josefina1747 for details. >>

Wow I looked at some of the josefina auctions. Thief may be an understatement.

• Options
    I wouldn't even name names, but You Know Who You Are !!!!!!imageimageimage
    Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>lmayer. But no hard feelings, I just bought from him.
    image >>

Yes, I have realized that when I see his name I better drop out of bidding!!
  • Options
    des1728 Has been paying crazy prices for graded exhibits, then I sold him one of mine and found out its Don Spence, OUCH. So much for my top registry set, I am counting the days, haha.

I know a good portion of the heavy Clementes bidders and while I lose my share I am glad when they win and not some stranger.
  • Options
    lastminutebidderssuck

Who is this clown?
    There's a hole in my head where the rain comes in.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Give us some details on why he is a clown as his name implies he either hates late action on auctions so he can't cancel them before they go cheap or he hates snipers.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    hmpb50, jmdvm, and jrmazzeo are my biggest rivals.

I don't understand bigred_cards bidding practice but that's another story...
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>lastminutebidderssuck

Who is this clown? >>

Not sure, but he is bidding on something that I want. Does he have some wierd bidding practices??
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    NESC -

Everyone says they get special treatment, but I have placed some aggressive snipes on early 70's rack packs the past few months and they win them all.

So - opening vintage packs = good grading results for them I guess.
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    I didn't have any until Mark (sidepocket) decided to go after Nam's '54 Snider. image It's all good though.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>

Who is this clown? >>

Not sure, but he is bidding on something that I want. Does he have some wierd bidding practices?? >>

I think this is the guy that sends angry, scathing e-mails to other bidders that used a snipe service to win an auction he was bidding on. He tries to blast them for sniping and tells them that it's a stupid strategy to snipe. The irony of his e-mails seems to escape his grasp.
  • Options
    I have 2 rivals that are equal in regards to competition. One lives in Germany and the other is in Australia. Go figure.

NathanSr
    Successful purchases: Lawnmowerman(2), Wabittwax, mkg809, thePlasticman

Successful sales: xphunk, vjsteele4, onefasttalon, five7teen, yankeeno7

Successful trades: mijang

Generous Souls: MBMiler25, DES1984
  • Options
    newenglandsportscards - He buys every high grade Topps set between 1974 and 1979 to support his grade and dump model. His bids are consistently well above market (he bought a 1976 set for $470 two days ago). Sure, he's always only $10 higher than the next guy but his bids are way higher than the close - I have bid intentionally high against him a few times and it is futile. If you look at the completed auctions he has bid on he wins every single one, he must bid $1,000 on 1978 Topps sets because he sells off the PSA 9 commons for $80 each. It has sort of ruined those years unless you like buying his graded singles.
  • Options

77-78yankees

He is crushing me on my Munson's.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Who is this clown? >>

Not sure, but he is bidding on something that I want. Does he have some wierd bidding practices?? >>

I think this is the guy that sends angry, scathing e-mails to other bidders that used a snipe service to win an auction he was bidding on. He tries to blast them for sniping and tells them that it's a stupid strategy to snipe. The irony of his e-mails seems to escape his grasp. >>

LMAO, I'm going to snipe stuff he bids on just out of spite.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I won't answer this question...2 of the people who outbid me on high dollar Thomas cards are members of this board...I don't need to give them a big head and promote further outbiddage on my behalf.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options

<< <i>mrwally3, mcguiremuseum, onionring9 >>

that group sounds familiar, just replace onionring9 with samspop!!
    Mark McGwire Collector: ( 4810/5533 unique cards): [86.9% complete]
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I think I spark contempt in certain bidders in the Thomas community. If I bid high and early, I tend to be outbid fairly readily. Even to the point of paying well over market average.

If I wait for my snipe, I win more than not, for a lot less.

I think people see that familiar feedback score and get competitive.

Maybe it's all in my head though.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Some guy named Czar!!image
  • Options
    bjbrall4bjbrall4 Posts: 277 ✭✭
    I used to be consistantly beaten out for 2001 Heritage chromes by Bluezee123, but I haven't run across him lately. Reds24fan and rugbymarine would probably consider me their rival.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I don't have any competition. Not many bottom feeders around here.
  • Options
    I used to be consistantly beaten out for 2001 Heritage chromes by Bluezee123, "but I haven't run over him lately