Home Sports Talk
Options

George J. Mitchell - Director and Part Owner of the Boston Red Sox

First of all I think Roger Clemens is guilty as hell. With that said I think that this deserved a thread of it's own.

The only reason the Yankees got hit hard is the guys selling the roids happened to work in NY clubhouses. I don't care what Mitchell says. I think he is a biased. After all Mitchell is director and part owner of the Red Sox. I don't think Mitchell looked hard enough in the bowels of Fenway Park for a Radomski like character. Certainly every team must have one.

George J. Mitchell - Director

The fact that Selig would choose Mitchell to head this investigation despite his obvious conflict of interest is further evidence of the ineptitude with which MLB has handled the entire steroid issue from day one.

It was a mistake for baseball Commissioner Bud Selig to appoint Mitchell to head this inquiry. Even if there wasn't any bias in Mitchell's investigation, there was certainly a conflict of interest - a conflict exacerbated by the longstanding Yankees-Red Sox rivalry and the prominence of Yankees players among those accused of steroids use. Surely Selig could have found some other elder statesman to take on this job, one with no affiliations with any major league team.

On a related note: Report: Ortiz not sure if he took steroids

"Ortiz told the Boston Herald that he could not say definitively if he had ever used performance-enhancing drugs in the past. The burly designated hitter also said that if he did, it happened when he was much younger."

Not sure, huh? LOL The only difference between Roger and Papi is that Roger is sure he didn't. LOL

The Yankee-Red Sox rivalry starts early this year image

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."

Comments

• Options
    But when has Bud Selig ever concerned himself with something as small as a major conflict of interest- owning the Brewers as commissioner and then selling the team to his daughter

It would be interesting to what percentage of players named had played for the Sox and if it is close at all to the percentage of Yankees named
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, he gave up Donnelly and Gag-Me!! What more do you want? image

• Options
    Mitchell may have had a conflict of interest, but that Ortiz article is nothing more that poor journalism. If he flat out denied any drug use to that reporter would you be absolutely certain he never used? If not, then failing to deny drug use has to be considered meaningless also

It is interesting that Mitchell takes the approach that baseball has a drug problem that needs to be cleaned. Naming the players, to him, is simply part of the cleaning process -- make everything as transparent as possible. Every team over the past 20 years has had its share of drug users, if one team had more than another, it was simply due to chance, not much else, even Mitchell and Selig seem to agree on that
    Tom
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guees what I am a biased Sox fan and I hate the Yankees! BUT I dont hold anything against any ballplayer for using HGH or steroids-period.

I think Ortiz, V-Tek and Manny are just as guilty as Clemens, Pettite, Giambi as well as hundreds of others. Lets get past it and make it a fair playing field for ALL of MLB!
  • Options
    <<If not, then failing to deny drug use has to be considered meaningless also>>

Yeah, right. "Ortiz told the Boston Herald that he could not say definitively if he had ever used performance-enhancing drugs in the past. The burly designated hitter also said that if he did, it happened when he was much younger." What does Big Papi think that someone might have spiked his drink at Club Santo Domingo? LOL

<<Lets get past it and make it a fair playing field for ALL of MLB!>>

I agree, give every player all the juice they need and make it legal. image 2008 MLB awaits. May the best team win!!!!

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • Options
    So if Ortiz had said unequivocally that he never used steroids, just as Clemens and Bonds and Floyd Landis and Marion Jones and so many others have you would believe him?
    Tom
  • Options
    << So if Ortiz had said unequivocally that he never used steroids, just as Clemens and Bonds and Floyd Landis and Marion Jones and so many others have you would believe him?>>

No, but what Ortiz said is akin to Bubba saying he didn't inhale.

• Options
    Notice Clemens says "I never TOOK" steroids.

I have a feeling he is gonna change to

"I was given them, but I never TOOK them"

What i syour definition of "took"
  • Options

<< <i>No >>

So if you wouldn't believe Ortiz to be drug-free if he denies it or not, the entire report means absolutely nothing

To me, what Ortiz said is like the pothead who says he never used cocaine, but there is that slim chance he smoked something that was laced
    Tom
  • Options
    I wonder if Roger's trainer came to Roger and said I want x amount of dollars to ignore Mitchell
    and keep my mouth shut. Roger said no, the guy got angry, and now Roger is going to see to it that this guy gets no
    satisfaction whatsoever. Probably didn't happen, but just a thought.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So if Ortiz had said unequivocally that he never used steroids, just as Clemens and Bonds and Floyd Landis and Marion Jones and so many others have you would believe him? >>

So does that mean A-Rod took PEDs too?

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts