Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWP Darkside coin help

Ok, normally I dont do this, buy foreign coins for one, and buy anything gold related without knowing the AGW secondly. But my wife desperately wanted a gold coin from her homeland of the Philippines, so I won a 2 peso 1868 on ebay for her. Can anyone please tell me the AGW on this piece? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭
    Specs on Philippine 2 Pesos (1868):
    3.3830g, 0.8750 fineness, .0952 agw

Hope that's good news for you. Check to see if you have the 1868/6 overdate variety, with a slightly higher catalog value.

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    I dont have the coin in hand yet. Its in an ANACS 45 details slab with a mention of cleaned. I dont buy problem coins for my own collection, but since its for wifey, and she just cares that it gold and from the Phil, I figured why not. Paid $122 for it, but it sounds like it melts for just under $90. I can handle a $32 overlay on a 140 year old gold coin that will mean alot to my wife. Thanks for the help, and if I can remember, i'll photo it for you when it comes in.
  • Options
    Here are the pics, just got it today. Thanks again for the help. My wife loves the coin!

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Neat coin and neat story!
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin and great story!!!
    For that nice price and since it is already "a problem coin"; you may consider mounting it and making her a nice necklace.
    It would be beautiful !!!!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice!

I agree with SE92- it has great necklace-and-bezel potential. Normally I wouldn't recommend that but with a coin that's already cleaned, it's no big deal. That way she can enjoy it more and even mounted, it'll still hold its bullion value.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    Well silvereagle82, and lordmarcovan.....I took your guys advice and my wife LOVES her new pendant!

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    I have the 1868 - 4 Peso version of that coin that I got from my Dad (who in turn got it from my grandmother). The only other gold coin I have from my country of birth is a 2 troy ounce gold coin featuring Ferdinand and Imelda Marcos.

imageimage
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    I just bought a cheapie 3 piece set of the 1868 silvers, all F-VF condition, and plan on buying the 1 peso, and the 4 peso to complete a nice 6 coin date set.
  • Options

<< <i>I just bought a cheapie 3 piece set of the 1868 silvers, all F-VF condition, and plan on buying the 1 peso, and the 4 peso to complete a nice 6 coin date set. >>

trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have the 1868 - 4 Peso version of that coin that I got from my Dad (who in turn got it from my grandmother). The only other gold coin I have from my country of birth is a 2 troy ounce gold coin featuring Ferdinand and Imelda Marcos.

imageimage >>

Finally sold mine (for melt) at the FUN show a few months ago. Picked it up in Manila for $800 back in '05.

• Options

<< <i>imageimage

Finally sold mine (for melt) at the FUN show a few months ago. Picked it up in Manila for $800 back in '05. >>

Always nice to cash in on profits. I'll probably hold on to mine for sentimental reasons. image

edited to add: I wonder if your Macoy coin had a Marcos family pedigree since you got it in Manila.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)