Home Metal Detecting
Options

Here's a wildcard find.......while going through a

bunch of scrap buffalo nickels...I found this:

1936 s/s Breen# 2648 FS# 5-020

It has a URS rating of 11, meaning there are about 500-1000 around..

Comments

• Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    I'm impressed. I don't even see that in the "Pickers's Guide", but it looks to be very clear. That's what I like about coin collecting - discovering something special in an old pile of coins that you have just laying about. Nice job sir!

"to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    I have a bunch of buffs that I need to go through with a more detailed, patient eye. Nice coin Steve, I'm surprised you didn't notice it earlier!
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice find.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    very cool!...whats a coin like that worth?....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Mary..I have a lot of Buffalo nickels...I really never cared too much for them....I just happened to stumble over it when I was taking pics of some buttons I have found when metal detecting. The white balance was off on my camera, so I picked it up out of a pile I have, and I noticed it then..If I hadn't had my camera set on the 3 meg pic, I probably wouldn't have noticed then..

It is listed in the Cherry Pickers guide, page 298 bottom left...They are selling for around $40.00 to $50.00 on eBay.....
  • Options
    Good eye, millennium... congrats!

Your pictures are outstanding. If it's not too much to ask, could you tell me how you setup your coins, camera, and lights to take such great shots?

My attempts have been less then stellar... image
  • Options
    I use a Sony H2 camera...I use it in macro mode at the factory automatic settings. The lights are halogen lights that are in my kitchen...that is the most well light room in our home and I suspect most homes..To get a real close up picture, take the pic in the maximum amount of resolution. On this particular camera it is 6 megs. I also used a 10 eye loupe held on the lens to get it even closer (that explains the back circle around the one close up in the group of three)....it will focus for you, and then you can get that extreme closeup...Hope that helps

Here is an example of the loupe, just put your camera in macro mode and hold this right up to the lens of the camera....

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve, if you have excess Buffalo nickels, you should sell some to your hometown coin dealer. imageimage

Of course your hometown coin dealer is really small potatoes and happens to be completely broke right now.

And he isn't interested in Cherrypicker's Guide varieties, in the least.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Very nice "find" out of some of your scrap, huh? image
    Speer34

imageimageimage