Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Sharing some photos of my Texas Rangers collection with the forum. Added 2010 AL Championship ring

thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
I’ve been an avid Texas Rangers fan my whole life. Yes, I am a glutton for punishment. I’slacked off some during the early to mid 2000's as I got really disenchanted when they started getting rid of Ivan Rodriguez, Juan Gonzalez, Rafael Palmeiro, etc., and mortgaged their future when they signed the huge deal with AROD. Hicks to me is not that astute at running a major league team. Anyways, here’s some of my stuff to share:

1972 team signed ball with the great Ted Williams on the sweetspot
1973 team signed ball
1974 team signed ball with the great Billy Martin on the sweetspot, wish he could have done with Texas what he did with the Yankees
1982 team signed ball
1984 team signed ball
1988 team signed ball
1992 team signed ball
1998 large basketball sized signed custom wooden baseball hand burned and team signed with every signature personally obtained by me. I also have the 1996 division winning team in this format, but its on display in my office and not here at home with me.
1999 large custom wooden baseball bat handburned with every signature personally obtained by me. Shown next to my daughter for size comparison. I also have these bats for 1997 and 2000.
2000 handburned wooden cutout of the outline of Texas with all sigs obtained by me
No Ranger collection would be complete with out an autograph of former minority owner and current US President George W. Bush signed minibat personalized to me and obtained by me.

That’s not close to being my whole Rangers collection, just some highlights as I have signed team pictures, more baseballs, wooden individual hand burned signed player baseballs, signed team regular size bats, signed jerseys, signed cards, large baseball mitt chair with the team signatures from AROD’s first year, etc, etc, etc,.

Maybe one day, I’ll get to rejoice in a World Series winning celebration!!! My wife keeps kidding me that I will die first.
imageimage
Buying US Presidential autographs

Comments

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    +1 for lifelong fans.

Thanks for sharing image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Love the Bush bat.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    That's a great collection from from one devout fan---- Tony Fredericksonimage
    Rangerman / ARMEDPILOT

B)
  • Options
    I love seeing form members collections. Were the custom basketball size baseball and bat made somewhere local to you? That would be cool to have one made for the Dodgers and take it around spring training for autos.
  • Options
    Thanks for the compliments guys.

NEENISH wrote: I love seeing form members collections. Were the custom basketball size baseball and bat made somewhere local to you? That would be cool to have one made for the Dodgers and take it around spring training for autos.

I had them made by a guy named J. Williams that had a company called "Hot Iron Originals". I used to talk to him all the time and have a lot of neat stuff from him. However, I'm not even sure if he is still alive. I had ordered and prepaid for it to the tune of $1050.00, a large leather saddle with leather burned images of the players I considered to be the 50 greatest Texas Rangers, and it was going to be my last great Ranger autograph project chasing those guys down to sign, BUT I never got the saddle, and have not been able to contact Mr. Williams since then. I really feel something happened to him as we had done business for over 5 years and he was always straight up, quick, and loved to communicate. I know he was going through a divorce and then I never heard from him again. Hopefuly, he is still alive, but I guess I'll never know unless I hear from him. I've kinda gotten over the $1050 loss, but he WAS a goody guy and interesting person to talk baseball with.

Mike
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike

Thanx for taking the time to share your passion with us!

One of my personal favorites is anything from the Brooklyn Dodger era - stuff can get expensive tho.

My favorite on your scans - was the framed mini-bat signed by Bush - very nice frame job!

It's nice to see people sharing memorabilia - it's actually very rare.

I enjoyed this immensely!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Great stuff !

I love team signed memorabilia .

• Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    great collection

thanks for sharing

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    Impressive; I'd love to see your team sets of baseball cards. At least with the Rangers you only have to back to what, 1972 or 1973? image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

<< <i>Impressive; I'd love to see your team sets of baseball cards. At least with the Rangers you only have to back to what, 1972 or 1973? image >>

Estil,

While I have a lot of cards, I never did put together the Rangers team sets. I was always chasing autographs instead of chasing cards. The good thing about the Rangers is that the cards are cheap enough that I should be able to go back and pick them all up relatively cheap. I'll probably just get the basic set Topps versions. I'm not to into the modern variety of all the different brands and game used swatches, etc, , I'm pretty much an old school guy that loves the classics.

Mike
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Great collection, and thanks for sharing. Hang in there! If my team can finally break through so can yours!
  • Options
    That is a nice collection. I grew up and am still a huge Rangers fan (I could see the lights of old Arlington Stadium from my house when I was growing up). My collection of Rangers items includes a decent set of cards (nearly all not graded) and a large collection of newspapers, tickets, magazines, and knick-knacks from games I attended. And a few autos, but nothing comparing to what you have. One thing I still cannot find is the ticket stubs from the one of the last Ryan games I went to: the one when he gave Robin Ventura some noogies.
    I collect PSA graded 1980-81 Basketball.

Successful transactions with bouwob, lifeshouldbefun, SDSportsFan, Bkritz, tsalems1, kwtoz, johnny1976, Topps29, Calaban7, nascar20, bking, bedellsonics, Beck6, Dialj, Echocanyon, mdkuom, gosteelers, artimus.
  • Options
    A bump in honor of Josh Hamilton and the boys. I've only been to a couple games this year, but watched several on TV. They play the game with zeal. Still having trouble getting over the Hicks blunders, but hey, I still love the Rangers!!

• Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Wow, very impressive collection. I too like the Bush bat the best. Though the Ted Williams ball is a close second. Thanks for sharing! Regarding Billy Martin, I think if they would have given him more time, they would have won the division eventually.
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    Mike, amazing collection, I love the Ted Williams autograph. Very impressive!!
  • Options
    Being a Texan, I am a fan of the Rangers went to many games at the toilet bowl known as Arlington Stadium. I love this new talent the Rangers have coming up if everything goes like it should there is a possibility of a powerhouse team being built there. Kinsler, Davis and Hamilton. Davis has 30 homers between AA and the majors this year.

I think they could be a team to watch for in the second half of this season.

• Options
    Nice stuff, I love to see collections from true fans of any team (except the Yankees).image

Thanks for taking the time to post these.
    ----------------------------------------
    Currently working on:
    1955 Topps All-American
    George Brett Master Set
    2009 A&G's
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Here's a few oddball things you might not have. Hope you can find something you like.

Here's the website if there is anything good for you.
  • Options
    Jim,

Thanks, I'll give it a look.

mike
  • Options
    I had this thread ready to bump last night when the Rangers were only one strike away from overtaking the Red Sox for the current wildcard lead, and then BAM, (as Mathew Shultz put it) a quick kick to the groin.

I figured I'd go ahead and bump it anyway as today's a new day, and perhaps we can start the climb again tonight. After 35 plus years of futility, I still believe in them. (yeah, I know, I should probably have my stability checked)

GO RANGERS!!! THIS YEAR IS "NEXT YEAR"!!!!!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Very nice indeed.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    I still get a chuckle from this mp3 clip matthewbschultz83 posted. Maybe it'll bring good luck. Go Rangers, lol

Ooops forgot to add, great stuff nav.
  • Options
    matthewbschultz83matthewbschultz83 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

<< <i>GO RANGERS!!! THIS YEAR IS "NEXT YEAR"!!!!! >>

A-freaking-MEN

Working the positive Mental Mojo right now....

Speaking of Ranger themed threads, I need to get my autograph one updated, I have gone on a nice little run of some autograph happenings...

Mike do you remember those 1993 Keebler cards? The ones they gave away the last year of old Arlington Stadium. They had a card of every player who had appeared in a Texas Rangers uniform from 1972-1993. For some guys not only was it their only Rangers card, but it was their only card in an Major League Uniform. I am working on getting those signed. So far up to 30 or so....
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders
  • Options
    matthewbschultz83matthewbschultz83 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    Here's some more positive mojo....

2009 Rangers Theme Song
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options

<< <i>Mike do you remember those 1993 Keebler cards? The ones they gave away the last year of old Arlington Stadium. They had a card of every player who had appeared in a Texas Rangers uniform from 1972-1993. For some guys not only was it their only Rangers card, but it was their only card in an Major League Uniform. I am working on getting those signed. So far up to 30 or so.... >>

Yep, I had a couple of those in booklet form. I should have worked on a set of those over the years as I was always at the park, but I was too busy trying to get the current years guys on an item. My goal was always to get everyone that appeared in a game on my item for that year. Thus, I occasionally had to make the drive to Oklahoma City to scrounge up some of the minor leaguers that had made an earlier appearance but were no longer with the big league club. I kind of miss going out to the park and chasing graphs, but a couple of children (who don't enjoy that) and a lot more work responsibility have taken most of the free time I used to have.

Mike
  • Options
    My new Pete O'Brien Cooperstown Collection 1984 jersey that arrived today is my new good luck piece and my newest addition to my Rangers collection.

The Rangers are also 1-0 while I'm wearing it watching them. 1/2 game back from the wildcard now.
  • Options
    Make that 1/2 game in front my man! There sure were some dejected looks on the bandwagon fans the past two nights! Best thing was Frankie has a horrible memory, he blew threw the 9th 1-2-3, K'ing the same guy that got him Friday, V-Mart. I love me some first place!!!
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    Lebron who? The most exciting sports transaction for me the last couple days has been the pickup of Cliff Lee image

Go Rangers, this is our year!!!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Lebron who? The most exciting sports transaction for me the last couple days has been the pickup of Cliff Lee image
    Go Rangers, this is our year!!! >>

Mike ... great pick-up. Even though I am a New York fan (METS more than Yankees), I am glad that the Rangers got him instead of the Yankees ... although I would have LOVED to see the METS get him.

I bet you like this card now! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Doug,

You are teasing me with that! PM coming shortly.

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Doug,
    You are teasing me with that! PM coming shortly.
    Mike >>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Game Used Rangers cap worn by Bill Ripken while a member of the Rangers in 1993:

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>Game Used Rangers cap worn by Bill Ripken while a member of the Rangers in 1993:

image >>

Bill was a nice guy but relatively tough ballpark sig when he was here. I got him but he made me work for it.

Mike
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Great Stuff! Go Rangers Go!
  • Options
    SmuggoSmuggo Posts: 425
    Mike great stuff! I don't know if you saw this when I posted it on SCN but in case you didn't. Back in the early 90's I wrote to GW Bush (Ranger owner) and sent him the Perez-Steele card of his father and asked him if he could get it signed for me. Not only did he do that but he sent me this note back as well.
    Collecting Pre-War, Pre-War HOF Types, Pre-War Postcards
  • Options
    Smuggo,

That's a great item!

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe one day, I’ll get to rejoice in a World Series winning celebration!!! My wife keeps kidding me that I will die first. >>

This may be your year Mike!

Good luck.
    Mike
  • Options
    Hey Mike ... at least Cliff Lee pitched a complete game! LOL

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>Hey Mike ... at least Cliff Lee pitched a complete game! LOL >>

Yep, tonight was a rough night. Losing 3 in a row to Baltimore is a humbling experience, especially the way they came back the first two, but hey, the Angels have been stinking up the place too the last few days as well as tonight.

The rest of the season looks brighter then it did a couple days ago. image

Mike
  • Options
    Picked this up tonight as well to add to my Rangers collection. Vladimir Guerrero signed mini helmet. It was signed today at the season ticket holders picnic. (I wasn't there, got it from a local guy)

Mike
  • Options
    Very nice Mike!

I have a Vlad GU bat I picked up years ago - definitely one of my better pickups over the years.

Did you get anyone elses sigs at the pic nic?

Do ya have any pics?
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice Mike!

I have a Vlad GU bat I picked up years ago - definitely one of my better pickups over the years.

Did you get anyone elses sigs at the pic nic?

Do ya have any pics? >>

Stone, I bet that Vlad bat is awesome, I've seen a couple with ball marks all over it, I love how he swings (and hits!) everything, even pitches at his feet. I didn't go to the picnic myself so no pics this time. I traded a local guy for it. I'm toying with what I want to do with it:

1) keep it as is without any additional graphs on it
    2) Get it signed by the rest of the Rangers Latino stars (since it's a mini, it won't do well for a whole team signed helmet, so maybe a Latino theme?)
    3) Get it signed by the rest of the teams stars (Cruz, Feliz, Kinsler, Young, Andrus, Hamilton, Lee, etc.)
    4) Get it signed by this years Rangers All Stars (Has Vlad already, so I'd just need, Kinsler, Hamilton, Andrus, Feliz and then decide whether or not to add Lee since he's an All Star too although earned from his work with other teams)

I probably definitely won't do number 1, as I like to have projects to work on. #3 leaves a lot open to interpretation in deciding who's a team "star", since I have limited room. #2 is leading in my mind right now as it's doable, a neat theme to me as I'm Hispanic, easily definable, and they'll all fit, #4 is also a prime contender, but the Lee situation might bug me image

Mike
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I do a lot of multi pieces so I get a lot of ideas in my head when I see things like that...

but on this occassion I'd leave it as a single signed piece for this reason; Vlad is an easy HOFer but he's not a career Ranger. When he goes into the Hall it's very likely that his time in Texas will be only a small blurb on his plaque. If you were going to do multi-Rangers pieces, I'd stick to guys who had more than 5-6 seasons with the team or were so beloved there that they're though of as Rangers.

If you were a Rams fan, you wouldn't do a multi piece with Joe Namath included. It just wouldn't fit. Same principle.

Great sig though!!!
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with VitoCo

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    For me - I would keep it SS.
    Mike
  • Options
    My six year old daughter wanted to get her first athletic autograph today and wanted to meet a "real Rangers baseball player", so I took her today. I was very excited as this was her first venture into the athlete autograph world image and she was VERY excited once I told her earlier in the week that we could go. She has a "Rangers Princess" hat, and decided that she wanted Nelson Cruz on it as she says he's "cute" and hits the ball a "long way" and has a "nice smile". We went up to a local mall and got to meet Nelson, Elvis Andrus, and Neftali Feliz. She had a blast and got to tell Elvis that she was going to throw a shaving cream pie in dad's face if they win the World Series and he told her and me that I better get ready to have it in my face then because this was the year. She told Neftali, "nice saves", I was kinda shocked that she knew that he was the guy that did that for the Rangers. She was ecstatic that Nellie said she was "cute". All 3 of the guys were really nice to her and she hugged each one and I've cell phone video of that, and she was telling me after it was over that they must have went to "Bath and Body Works" before the signing, because they smelled "very good" (yes, she's a handful) image She got Nelson's autograph on her hat and she's so proud of it.

Here's her Rangers princess hat signed by Nelson Cruz:

I also got to add the 3 to my mini-helmet that was already signed by Vlad before:

Elvis Andrus

Neftali Feliz

Nelson Cruz

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you have a sharp kiddo on your hands Mike. I'm glad the experience was so great for her, and a nod to those gentlemen for being so welcoming.

Nice mini helmet too!
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    GREAT collection, Thanks for sharing & updating!

Being a lifer Tigers fan, I can relate to your lifelong team fan plight, we have some great vets, and stud prospects/rc's.
    with longer periods of rebuilding, than maintaining or gaining team chemistry & actually being competitive.

That said, what a great time to be a Rangers fan, the team is stacked in all area's... Enjoy!!
    Sig: Looking for a recent smr magazine, Please pm if you have one to recycle. Thank You
  • Options
    Maven (my 6 year old daughter) wanted to go to "Autograph Wednesday" which is a promotion that the Rangers run on Wednesday home games where 3 players and a coach sign about 125 autographs each on the concourse about an hour before the game. It's the first one we've ever been to together, and I, myself, haven't been in probably 10 years. Board members Jlzinck (Jon), HeritageAddict (Doran), and Drewsef (Drew) had sent her some Rangers cards and stickers and she took them all in a little ziploc bag hoping to get them signed. I picked her up from school and we went home and got ready for the game and timed it where we'd arrive at about 4:50 as the gates open at 5:00 PM. We got there and waited outside in the heat, but were told by one of the ticket takers that Ian Kinsler was going to be one of the players signing and they told us which station Kinsler would be at. When the gates opened, Maven and I made a quick trip to get in line for Kinsler as autographs are limited. By the time her little short legs could carry her (we had to go completely to the other side of the park and as soon as the gates opened fans were running and jockeying for positions at each one of the stations) we were already about 100 back in the Kinsler line. I was afraid we weren't going to get it. She went through her ziploc bag, putting great thought into what Kinsler card or sticker she wanted signed. She finally settled on a Kinsler bat card and we waited in hopes of getting a graph. Sure enough, Kinsler started signing and Maven told me her lungs were about to burst as she was so excited. That was awesome to hear and I told her it looked like we were going to make it as they passed out a limited number of autograph tickets through the line and we were fortunate enough to get one each. We got up to him and he was really cool to her and talked to her a bit and signed her card and made her nite. Ian also signed my Rangers mini-helmet I've been working on (now has Vlad, Andrus, Nelson Cruz, Neftali Feliz and Kinsler).

Here's a pic of the mini with team stars in progress:

Cliff Lee is doing a signing here on Saturday, but I don't know if I can go yet or not. If I end up being able to go, I'll be able to get him and that will only leave Young and Hamilton that I still want for sure. Ohters that I might try to get later on include CJ Wilson as well (he already has 13 wins) and Tommy Hunter. Since space is so limited, I'm trying to be careful with who I have sign it. I might get Ron Washington as manager on it as well, and if the opportunity arises to get Nolan Ryan (one of the new ownership group) I might do that one too. Not 100% sure about wanting Nolan on it yet, but I'm kind of leaning that way.

Mike

Mike