Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is this allowable on Ebay?

I found this in an item description on EBay:

We Charge a $3.75 Handling Charge to cover the cost of Packing Materials, as well as Delivery Confirmation, which is required by PayPal on ALL Items shipped by the Seller. If this is Unacceptable, DO NOT BID! We DO NOT combine Shipping. However, we will waive 50% of the Handling fee on Multiple Items Shipped.

The seller has a 288 feedback and a 100% rating.
#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.

Comments

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "The seller has a 288 feedback and a 100% rating."

///////////////////////////////////

Not for long.

The seller's nonsense violates both EBAY and PayPal TOS.
    The listings will be removed, if they are reported.

EBAY.......... NEG Victoriously ! image
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, they are also charging shipping of $12 for a hobby box of 2003 Topps Heritage. (hint)
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Why would this not be allowed? He isn't charging for PayPal fees, just the cost for covering packing material and delivery confirmation. Is this against the rules?

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    "Why would this not be allowed? He isn't charging for PayPal fees, just the cost for
    covering packing material and delivery confirmation. Is this against the rules?'

///////////////////////////////////////////////

The $3.75 would be determined "unreasonable" by EBAY.

The seller's comment about Delivery Confirmation misstates
    PayPal's policy, in an effort to justify an unreasonable fee.

EBAY...... NEG Victoriously ! image
  • Options
    I sent him a question, asking if the $3.75 is included in the $12 Shipping and Handling fee, or if it is separate, and if they are 2 different fees, why isn't that mentioned in that part of the auction. We'll see if he answers.
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭

I would like to know where the "unreasonable" line is drawn

$3.50 isnt terribly outrageous...

This is classic ----------- EBAY...... NEG Victoriously ! image >>

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    I received an answer back:

<< <i>
    No,
    The total fee is 12.00. That is for Shipping via USPS priority mail, and includes the charge for packing materials and handling, and delivery confirmation. Sorry for the confusion.
    Thanks

- uszussh2 >>

So the total fee for shipping is $12, and that includes everything else. That's not too bad to ship a box of cards.
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options

<< <i>"Why would this not be allowed? He isn't charging for PayPal fees, just the cost for
    covering packing material and delivery confirmation. Is this against the rules?'

///////////////////////////////////////////////

The seller's comment about Delivery Confirmation misstates
    PayPal's policy, in an effort to justify an unreasonable fee.

EBAY...... NEG Victoriously ! image >>

If shipping through paypal delivery confirmation is required you have no choice.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    (hint)

Why hint? If you want to call the guy out post a link and then if you really still give a crap about some idiot on Ebay then YOU should report him. Don't hint about this trivial thing just DO IT!
  • Options
    Anything under 4.00 is not unreasonable for a card.. I don't think Ebay would see that as unreasonable. There was a card seller a year or so ago who was selling everything at 1 cent BIN and what he wanted for the card as shipping. I remmeber reporting one that was .01 Plus a 99.99 S/H Ebay said it was not unreasonable. I gave up reporting sellers for high shipping.

If the shipping is listed in the auction figure it into your max bid otherwise do not bid. How hard is that?
  • Options
    "We Charge a $3.75 Handling Charge to cover the cost of Packing Materials, as well as Delivery Confirmation..."

//////////////////////////////////////

The "handling charge" appears to be in ADDITION to the "shipping charge." Total Charge $12.00.

The PayPal DC fee is about 25-cents.

I never report S&H overcharges. EBAY takes little/no action on the subject.
  • Options
    For you guys that get your panties wadded up over this, do you report this because

a. you don't want to pay that much for s/h
    b. ebay isn't getting final value fees for the "excessive" s/h

If it's the former, simply adjust your bid to compensate (you may need to count on fingers and toes). If it's the latter, your life must be really dull.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Cornholio said it better than me but I agree with him. Thanks corn.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Anyone been to the post office lately? To ship one graded card in a bubble mailer with delivery confirmation, it's $2.20. That doesnt count the cost of the mailer. Jesus guys, if you dont want to pay that much...DONT FREAKIN BID. Amazing how many crybabies will pay $200 for apiece of cardboard then B---- about the cost to ship it. Unreal
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    "To ship one graded card in a bubble mailer with delivery confirmation, it's $2.20."

/////////////////////////////

AND, that is with NO insurance.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Random Hump Bump

Ah, the good ole days, back when $3.75 was outrageous to ship a card.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was like, $2.20 to ship.. What!! Then I saw 2008...

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:
    I was like, $2.20 to ship.. What!! Then I saw 2008...

I was thinking the same thing and didn't thick to check the date! I think retail, you can't get under $4 now for a card in a padded mailer. If you ship thru ebay, it's cheaper, but still $3+ just for postage.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

I'd take the $2.20 shipping again

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatever happened to storm888?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

don't forget it costs money to drive to the post office also. if it's free shipping or 12 dollars, it's all a wash anyway, people consider shipping costs in their max bid as well as state tax

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    Whatever happened to storm888?

That is what I was wondering. He was an asset to the Forum, and a good human being.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee