Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does Anyone Have A "Hammered" 1921 Peace??

2»

Comments

• Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    Woody's and Brandon's coins appear to be winners in the 'hammered' category. I'll offer this one. I really like the 'look'.

• Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yep. It is volume No. 13 in the "Guide Book" series (aka "Bowers Series") published by Whitman. When you get your copy, turn to page 184 to see the range of striking for 1921 Peace dollars.

This one was written by Barry Lovvorn and yours truly.

[Added: I won't show the one I located a few years ago - it's been posted enough. Check near the bottom of this page if you’re interested: http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=743285&STARTPAGE=3] >>

That link took my browser to only a subject heading with no posts in the thread.

Here another link to the thread: Direct

It was worth the hunt to see the pix!
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Odd...when I copy the URL into my browser, it goes right to the 3rd page of the posting....

Lots of nice 1921s there.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that this recent purchase may be the most well struck 1921 Peace Dollar in my collection. Perhaps it was one of those struck using the 150 ton pressure during the intial phase of minting...

1921 Peace Dollar - Strong Strike, Full Mint Luster & Attractive Toning

Photo Credit - Jeremy Katz (aka AirplaneNut)

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    1921 (VAM-1H) Peace Dollar - Well Struck - (Ex Stack's Bowers March 2012 Baltimore Auction - Lot 8540)

imageimage

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

• Options
    1921 Peace Dollar (VAM-1O) Clashed Reverse - Very Strong Strike
    imageimage

Stuart

• Options
    I've added photos of 3 well struck 1921 Peace Dollars that I've acquired since my 2009 posted coin, to maintain an active reference thread on elusive well-struck 1921 Peace Dollars.

1921 Peace Dollar (VAM-1H) - Well Struck - (Ex Goldberg Sale 44 - Lot 3179)

imageimage

Stuart

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now yer just showin' off......

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My same old '21 I keep posting in every single thread about peace dollars, frost, fatties, and anything else even remotely related. Don't be surprised if you see her pop in threads about hard times tokens or Chinese cash coins...

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    I thought I'd update this great thread to include the following recent purchase.

1921 Peace Dollar (VAM-1K) - PCGS MS-63 - Very Strong (Hammered) Strike - (Oblong Die Gouge at back of Miss Liberty's Neck)
    imageimage
    (Photo Credit - S. Katz)

Stuart

• Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've been picking up some very nice 21's lately Stuart. Let's keep it going - my only one image

TV max resized on white back ground.
    Normal TV
  • Options
    Here's a recent purchase, which is one of my most eye-appealing 1921 Peace Dollars.

1921 Peace Dollar - NGC MS-64 - Glossy Luster & Strong Strike

imageimage

Stuart

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    a hammered 1921 peace dollar...check image
    of course lightly dipping this cost me 4 points from ms62..."lesson learned" image
    she's still "struck like the best of them" though with "no swamp residue" now
    before
    after
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Very nice 21.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    any 1921...now and forever
    will always make me reflect upon on something i did and am not proud of
    i'll always regret the dipping of this with shame image

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had this one but sold it I think it was a MS65...image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

Digging up an old one: Just curious why nobody likes the 1921 peace dollar "eBay find" in this thread. It looks to have every pickup point in Roger's excellent guide to strong strike. It also has strongly dished fields which in my mind would be very hard to tool.
    How do you tool the apple cheek and swell in the neck?

To me it seems like a proof. Does anyone see anything specifically wrong with it, other than "it doesn't look right"? Maybe it's a fake coin, but it seems pretty unlikely to be an altered genuine coin. Comments welcome!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file