Options

Fractional Gold Buffaloes Expected in Summer of 2008

OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
NN Link

Finally some definate answers
"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Comments

• Options
    What if we gold plate a nice Buffalo nickel?
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>NN Link

Finally some definate answers >>

Fractional Gold Buffaloes Expected in Summer of 2008
    By Numismatic News
    January 31, 2008

American Buffalo gold coins will be available in fractional sizes in 2008.

Proof and uncirculated 2008 Buffaloes will come in half-ounce, quarter-ounce and tenth-ounce sizes, the U.S. Mint announced Jan. 30.

Four-coin sets including one-ounce coins are to be sold as well.

The 2008 one-ounce uncirculated Buffalo will continue to be available singly.

Proof Buffaloes in fractional sizes are expected to go on sale this summer.

Since a 2006 debut, the American Buffalo gold coins have been the Mint's .9999 fine gold coin option, intended to compete in the marketplace with other 24-karat gold coin offerings from other world mints.

American Eagle gold coins, which come in the same fractional sizes and have been available since 1986, are made of .9167 fine gold. Gold Eagles were assigned face value denominations of $50, $25, $10 and $5. Other than size-specific information, all four sizes share the same Saint-Gaudens double eagle obverse design and "Family of Eagles" reverse design.

Intended designs and denominations for the 2008 fractional Buffaloes were not specified by press time. The one-ounce gold Buffalo is denominated $50.
  • Options
    How about a Lucky Buffalo image

Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How about a Lucky Buffalo image

image >>

I can't believe it .. I'm still waiting for the $.50 Presidential Pet series to start along with the $1 V.P. commem. series.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Count me in for a couple proof sets.

Next, I hope they change the design in 2009.

"Change the Design in 2009"

Catchy slogan. image

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Great!
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    "Intended designs and denominations for the 2008 fractional Buffaloes were not specified by press time. The one-ounce gold Buffalo is denominated $50."

I my guess is 2008 will still be the Buffalo but I am hoping that 2009 changes the design a bit similar to the Platinum coins.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The LUCKY "8" Year!!

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The LUCKY "8" Year!!

Miles >>

Cool, Miles....image
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The LUCKY "8" Year!!

Miles >>

Cool, Miles....image >>

Miles gives me the creeps! He keeps on staring at me!imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    """Miles gives me the creeps! He keeps on staring at me! """

Relax, it's just you.
    Focus on the eight.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't we hear every year they will be doing these?

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know, I think Miles is Kind of Blue.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"""Miles gives me the creeps! He keeps on staring at me! """

Relax, it's just you.
    Focus on the eight.

Miles >>

image Y-y-y-y-y-yes S-s-s-s-s-sir!
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    1/10th gold buff will make an AWESOME pendant for my goddaughter!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>NN Link

Finally some definate answers >>

Clink the link to the "other articles" story that says that as of now the Mint does not have authority to strike 2008 Sacagawea dollars for inclusion in Proof and Mint sets.
    I would assume that this means they cannot strike them for bulk sales either.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt
    I repeat....no Sackies for 2008?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>ttt
    I repeat....no Sackies for 2008? >>

I was wondering what happened to the bags and rolls that were supposed to be on sale earlier in the month... Now we know! Hope to see them soon!

Eric
    EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set
  • Options
    Are the buffalo gold coins as deep as the actual buffalo nickel, or is the design flattened?
  • Options
    What this indicates is the back dated gold eagles may well be in a world of hurt starting next year.

2009 MS gold -no mint mark
    2009 MS gold -w
    2009 MS gold buff

Well guys we may see a number of years of gold eagles with very low mintages. Maybe a long string of 8,000-12,000 mintages. Heaven help the back date keys. About the only thing that has a chance survive is the 99-ws.
  • Options
    I was thinking the very same thing. This will draw lots of money out of the gold eagle program and mintages will drop rather quickly...
    EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are the buffalo gold coins as deep as the actual buffalo nickel, or is the design flattened? >>

Yes it appears to be a pretty high relief, especially when you compare it to the non pure counterpart.
  • Options
    It's possible the Mint may consider only stricking the Buffalo's for collectors, replacing the burished AGE's since collectors prefer pure gold coins. With the rising price of gold it seems redundant to also have burnished AGE's to compete with the Buffalo collectable options. Sales of the burnished AGE's never took off very well anyway.
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options

<< <i>It's possible the Mint may consider only stricking the Buffalo's for collectors, replacing the burished AGE's since collectors prefer pure gold coins. With the rising price of gold it seems redundant to also have burnished AGE's to compete with the Buffalo collectable options. Sales of the burnished AGE's never took off very well anyway. >>

Could be but at this point I am not aware of any comments from mint employees that they are even thinking about dropping the Gold eagles (Saints) this coming year. I do agree that if numbers fall low enough they may seriously consider dumping the series in the next few years to narrow the product offerings in gold.

Ericj96

If would not shock me to see the bullion plats with the eagle over the sun get dumped from the line up over the next few years either.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We do live in interesting times. I only wish that I had a real, working crystal ball.image

There is only one way to go - buy everything, and buy alot of it?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's possible the Mint may consider only stricking the Buffalo's for collectors, replacing the burished AGE's since collectors prefer pure gold coins. With the rising price of gold it seems redundant to also have burnished AGE's to compete with the Buffalo collectable options. Sales of the burnished AGE's never took off very well anyway. >>

and it will need to be approved for IRA's and such, right?...for fractional Buff if no AGE?
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say the end of the eagle is soon approaching.....
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    UTTM07UTTM07 Posts: 313 ✭✭
    8 is lucky, huh.

Purchase price of the American Buffalo 2008 Celebration Coin is $1,018.88.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I been hoping for the ASE to end but this coin is a cash cow for the mint and will likely go on forever until collectors get tired of it like I am for the post 2000 issues. The AGE is a different story. Gold is getting way to unaffordable to collect.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I don't collect the one ouncer Buffloes but may buy a set of the fractionals or maybe just 10 of the 1/10 ouncer.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I'd rather spend my money on theses rather than the 1/2 ounce "old hags", it maybe a very low mintage series in the future but with no collector base it will be at melt.
  • Options
    Personally I think it should be a lucky Rat coin. Since it is the year of the Rat not the Buffalo.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file