Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Buy, Sell or Hold Silver and/or Gold and why?

I know its another bullion thread but it has been so heated up lately I just wondered your all opinions. Seems like some are still buying and some are selling but I don't hear many say they are just holding. I say HOLD on both, just my opinion but if you haven't bought any yet it seems to be getting a bit late, there is getting to be a lot of downside risk now compared to when gold was $300 or $400 and silver was $3 or $4.

Comments

• Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    It depends on when you got it and how much you've got there nothing wrong with taking a profit if you've been in it 3 or 4 years. In fact most investors will sell 1/3 on the rise and buy it back on a big dip. That works in normal times but I wouldn't beat on it now. If you don't have any there nothing wrong with buying it because where are you going to put it and make sure your money is safe? A house, the stock markey, or the Money maket (low interest and still could be full of sub-prime stuff). There's just not a haven right now so you better spread it around IMO.
  • Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭
    image Ask yourself 1 question.Are those in positions of, TRUST, going to keep throwing the value of the FRN's under the busimage
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Fed and Congress have stopped printing money and monetizing debt? The overhanging debt crisis is over? The overseas dollars are never coming back home?

Ok, I know what my position is. I'm still averaging in, and I feel real good about it.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Technical signs show gold hitting $1000 easily and very quickly. To sell before $1000 is to leave money on the table.
  • Options
    I say hold. The fundamentals are still in play, and those fundamentals will not go away for a while.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i just got done selling some silver. i am happy with a quick profit
    that beats any other investment i have at the moment.

i still have my gold though but even that is nearing time to sell.
    as in the 1000 mark.

but i am a small time chump. i do not have 10000s and 10000s of dollars
    of PM.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    gold more than silver, but it does depend on when you got in, what your goals are, what your finances are.

i'd get EVERYTHING else in order....like zero balance credit cards (pay off balnces each month), no second mortgage (or don't use it like an ATM machine...at least now), are you saving money already?, have other investments, life insurance...etc.....have a budget?

or....keep up with financial and political stuff about consumer spending, go over pages and pages of blogs each day, message boards on PM's, debt, oil, Iraq, Pakistan, S Africa, the Presidential race, Fed money policy, spend way too much time HERE each day and then come up with a secret formulae and make a killing in GLD.

IMHO of course....

• Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

I get the feeling gold might be time to short. I'm not convinced enough to do it, yet, but we'll see.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I get the feeling gold might be time to short. I'm not convinced enough to do it, yet, but we'll see. >>

I agree you never know and this could turn on a dime. The peak trades are the ones that never seem to quite get around to buying or selling. Once it hits peak and falls a bit they wait until it comes back only to go down. As with the stock market I always average both up and down and sell in 10 to 20 percent batches. It's worked for me of course I never get it at the bottom or the top but always make a nice profit. It worked for me in 79/80 so it's hard to teach an old dog new tricksimage
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy, cherrypick, hold what you cherrypick, then sell the rest. (That's for silver)
    Gold : (buy slabbed stuff) or earrings, watch, rings or bracelets... that is; if you're in the doghouse.
  • Options

<< <i>I get the feeling gold might be time to short. I'm not convinced enough to do it, yet, but we'll see. >>

i think once it spikes up over a thousand, that's a good short. but the correction will probably be quick.
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    holding and adding a little at each year
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hold what I have and add to it as finances permit.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    The current momentum is strong and it's going up against almost all major currencies which implies a secular uptrend, meaning it's not just going up against a weak dollar. However, one thing of concern is the hyperbolic rise of gold and platinum prices. If you look at a chart of the prices, they are way above trend lines and moving averages and although this can continue for a while, these type of advances usually end in a sharp sell off back to trend . Bottom line, NO ONE knows where the price will go but as one of my old wise clients told me, you can never go broke taking some profit.
  • Options
    A great deal depends on the action of the Fed and the value of the USA dollar. There is minimal risk of a major PM decline until the Fed raises rates. Presently the Fed does not appear inclined to raise rates anytime soon nor does the dollar appear destined to strengthen anytime soon. Certified gold bars offer the best investment trading vehicle as the spread is currently about $15 per ounce.

California Numismatic Investments appears to offer the best deal on gold bars. Minimum order is $2,000 with free shipping. Larger bars are a tad less expensive. You may be able to find a better deal if you look around.
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    There is minimal risk of a major PM decline until the Fed raises rates.

I guess it depends what an investor thinks a major decline is. For me a major decline is 10%, so I perceive the odds of a major decline to be high.

To put in perspective, though, I do not diddle around by putting 3% or 5% of my portfolio into PM's like some experts recommend. If an investment meets my criterion, I invest in it for real - whether gold or stocks or bonds - I put in enough to actually matter.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold will hit $1000/oz.... of course it will then decline - minimally - as profits are taken. It will continue on an upward trend this year... I believe a peak will be 'around' $1500/oz (that is purely speculation, based on many hours of reading and studying). The entire world financial market is way to volatile to predict with any accuracy long term gains or levels. I personally, as stated here many times, will liquidate gold at $1000/0z. My profits will be incredible - and no need to hold out for super incredible. fc has a good perspective... profit where you see opportunity. No one can predict the exact peak or bottom of a market. Many like to try - millions have been lost in the attempt. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weimar
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>A great deal depends on the action of the Fed and the value of the USA dollar. There is minimal risk of a major PM decline until the Fed raises rates. Presently the Fed does not appear inclined to raise rates anytime soon nor does the dollar appear destined to strengthen anytime soon. Certified gold bars offer the best investment trading vehicle as the spread is currently about $15 per ounce.

California Numismatic Investments appears to offer the best deal on gold bars. Minimum order is $2,000 with free shipping. Larger bars are a tad less expensive. You may be able to find a better deal if you look around. >>

This is American centric thinking. If the European Central Bank starts cutting rates, it will have a similar effect to the Fed raising rates. The dollar will strengthen and gold will likely tumble. So far the Europeans are holding firm, but if their economies start grinding to a halt, due to a high Euro and slowing economy there will be enormous political pressure for them to cut rates.

A lot of gold demand is from Asia. The huge snow storms in China, can't be good for demand from their middle classes.

Longer term, the big picture for gold and silver remain positive. As always, I suggest that average folks with significant net worth have some gold, maybe 3% of net worth. As always, I suggest averaging in, and averaging out to establish the position. Those who want more than 3%, probably aren't average folks--they will tend to do a lot more homework than the average person.

A 10% or even 20% correction would be normal in long term bull market. For average folks that have physical gold or silver, it isn't worth trading in and out for these smaller moves, because of commissions, shipping and the long odds against getting the timing right.

Bottom line is hold if you are already in, buy if you have none. My opinion remains that the time for long termers to sell isn't close, not even $1000 gold will be that time. I still think $2000 or higher will be reached before the end of the run.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

The why is to profit.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm always a seller of silver and gold because bullion is boring as hell, and there are plenty of other opportunities to make money.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭
    If I can make 50% profit, I will sell regardless of what it is.
  • Options

<< <i>Gold will hit $1000/oz.... of course it will then decline - minimally - as profits are taken. It will continue on an upward trend this year... I believe a peak will be 'around' $1500/oz (that is purely speculation, based on many hours of reading and studying). The entire world financial market is way to volatile to predict with any accuracy long term gains or levels. I personally, as stated here many times, will liquidate gold at $1000/0z. My profits will be incredible - and no need to hold out for super incredible. fc has a good perspective... profit where you see opportunity. No one can predict the exact peak or bottom of a market. Many like to try - millions have been lost in the attempt. Cheers, RickO >>

If you think gold will go to a $1500/oz. why don't you just start selling at a $1000/oz. and sell a little at a time all the way up? Just curious, Thats a lot to leave on the table. On another note does anyone think that it would be a good idea to hold some gold and silver no matter what the price gets to?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file