Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is anyone here a member of the Chicago Coin Club?

all the numismatic books they've put up on the internet are fantastic.

for example

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Yes sir, I am.

It's an awesome assemblage of information.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me too.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    I'm not a member......but they are a listed on the club map......

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not, but looking at the link you posted, I find this quote priceless:

"When in 1879 O Mint Dollars were again coined - a year later than the Standard Dollar resumption at the San Francisco and Carson City mints - the large ornate head had replaced the seated figure of Liberty and, on the reverse, a different design is also seen. The Mint Mark changes to a small o which is close to the center of the wreath and over the space between the D and O of 'DOLLAR.' In the dates from 1879 to '93, the only variations from this description, which we have noted, are that the same small o sometimes touches the wreath, as in examples of 1886, 1888 and 1889, and sometimes is free. The date is also a little more or less removed from the star to the right. Such trifling differences would, we think, tempt no one to gather varieties of so inconvenient a piece, and we leave them undetailed. "
  • Options

<< <i>I am not, but looking at the link you posted, I find this quote priceless:

"When in 1879 O Mint Dollars were again coined - a year later than the Standard Dollar resumption at the San Francisco and Carson City mints - the large ornate head had replaced the seated figure of Liberty and, on the reverse, a different design is also seen. The Mint Mark changes to a small o which is close to the center of the wreath and over the space between the D and O of 'DOLLAR.' In the dates from 1879 to '93, the only variations from this description, which we have noted, are that the same small o sometimes touches the wreath, as in examples of 1886, 1888 and 1889, and sometimes is free. The date is also a little more or less removed from the star to the right. Such trifling differences would, we think, tempt no one to gather varieties of so inconvenient a piece, and we leave them undetailed. " >>

Yea, something tells me that Heaton got this section wrong image
  • Options
    Yes. Became a life member last month. The club is a wealth of information and knowledge about coins and currency. Their meetings are well-organized and well-structured. They will try to help anyone with a question concerning numismatics. By having members from all over the country and connected via the Internet, they are able to draw upon considerable pools of knowledge. If you are ever in Chicago during the 2nd week of the month, I encourage you to contact them to attend their monthly meeting. I think you will be impressed. If you like it, you can fill out an application for membership. They will initially vote on your membership application at the first meeting you are there. The members are very friendly and most courteous. The following month, the membership will vote a second and final time on your application. You do not have to be present at this meeting. The yearly dues are $20. You can contact them at their web page if you want to attend one of their meetings. This club has been in existence since 1919.

Hope this helps.

• Options
    I should be a member, I live in Chicago. In fact, I just sent an email to the person who takes the email inquiries (forgot his name already), and no reply from him as of yet.
  • Options
    Below is the contact information I took off their webpage. I'm sure Carl will be in touch with you, via email. He is a wonderful person to deal with. It may be a couple of days before email response is made, but rest assured, contact will be made. I think you will enjoy this club.

For additional information about the Chicago Coin Club, you call or email:

Carl F. Wolf carlwolfco@msn.com

or write:
    Chicago Coin Club
    P.O. Box 2301
    Chicago, IL 60690

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    no, but I used to own a coin they mutilated

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not a member......but they are a listed on the club map......

image >>

No. I'd like to be though. I haven't figured out where they're located or how to get in touch with them. Do we have a list of clubs posted somewhere??
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    There are no branch clubs, only the one Chicago Coin Club in Chicago. Below is the information to get in touch with them.

For additional information about the Chicago Coin Club, you can call or email:

carlwolfco@msn.com

or write:

Chicago Coin Club
    P.O. Box 2301
    Chicago, IL 60690
  • Options
    dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭
    Former and, hopefully, a returning member. image
    DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.
  • Options
    5 days ago, I emailed Carl. Still waiting for a reply.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file