Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What are the greatest mysteries of 20th century U.S. coinage?

This question is partly related to my question about why they only produced a 1922-D Lincoln cent in 1922.

So, what coins out there, produced/supposedly produced in the 20th century, would you consider to be great mysteries of U.S. numismatics?

The biggest one I can think of is the 1964 Peace Dollar that was supposedly produced, but supposedly all were melted down after coins stopped being made of silver.

Comments

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭

you took mine about the '64 Peace $.

How about a Proof '21 Morgan $? somthing about a so-called proof "Zerbe Die"?

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    WHY, OH GOD WHY, did they use the Eunice Shriver image on the Commem coin we all know and look at?

• Options
    52,000 mintage of '16 SLQ's
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>WHY, OH GOD WHY, did they use the Eunice Shriver image on the Commem coin we all know and look at? >>

image >>

• Options
    What brand of spaghetti served for the model for Washington's newest hair-do?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many mules made it to the wild ?
  • Options
    The lost 1913 Liberty Nickel from George Walton, who lost his life in a car wreck with the coin in the car on the way to a coin show, as the story goes..... What happened to this coin?

Edited to add a link I just found to the story Link
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154

<< <i>

<< <i>WHY, OH GOD WHY, did they use the Eunice Shriver image on the Commem coin we all know and look at? >>

image >>

>>

Quite amazing how much she looks like Abe Vigoda.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    For the accented hair kennedy crowd....Did Jackie O really disagree with the initial AH design and thus, cause the coin to be re designed? THAT would be a neat thing.

• Options
    Where are the rest of the Cheerios Sacs...???.....With a limited number graded and spoken for....!!??!!
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do we have a definitive answer from those involved in the release of the '55 Doubled Die? Supposedly they were on the dock but the Director elected to release instead of melt. True? That is the legend I have always heard.

Drunner
  • Options
    Exactly where, when, and by whom were the counterfeit micro-O Morgan dollars made, and what is the full family tree of die marriages?
  • Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭
    The tragedy of the milk spots brought to us by the US mint.
    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    been discussed at length here and in coin journals and magazines, but what exactly happened to make the high and low leaf Wisconsin Quarters - the theory is that a mole snuck into the mint and re-arranged the dies and added the extra leafs - did this really happen?? - lots of questions about this interesting error coin that continually baffles coin folks now and will in the years ahead.
    currently putting together a EF/AU/BU 18th & 19th Century Type Set; and CC Morgan Set

just completed 3d tour to Iraq and retired after 28+ years in the US Army
  • Options
    BigE2BigE2 Posts: 1,037

That coin gives me the hives.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why didn't the 1964 pointed-tail "9" dime become the numismatic hit of the century?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    What about the 74 lincoln aluminum's.........

Dan
    Fishing is not a matter of life and death.......It's much more important than that........
  • Options
    How many 1933 St. Gaudins are still at large,
    Pecunia in arbotis non crescit.
  • Options
    baddspellarbaddspellar Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    Who made the Omega counterfeits?
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the 1964 Franklin half dollar really exist?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    1964 Franklin Half......Breen talks of it but does it really exist?

This one is right up there with the big 64 Peace Dollar in my mind.....another mystery would be whether the 59-D Wheatie is authentic or counterfeit

greg

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    once again andy, you are the faster typist

greg

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    A big mystery in my mind is the actual happening behind the RDV-006 which came out of Denver?

I know that the recent Numismatist article indicates that these were probably intended as Copper Nickel clad proof coins yet this is simply an educated hypothesis as no real documentation actually substantiates the theory (which BTW is a damn good one!) All the indicators are there, different reverse, proof planchet's in the production lines and the fact that the San Francisco mint did ship their rejects to the Denver facility (as in the 1974-D Silver coins) but still, its a big mystery?

Along the same lines, why didn't the Mint produce Copper Nickel Clad IKE proofs for 1971 and 1972?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>1964 Franklin Half......Breen talks of it but does it really exist?

greg >>

I haven't heard of a 1964 Franklin before. I didn't know they were even suspected of being minted.

Is Breen the only known person to discuss such a coin?
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Maybe I should head to the archives to look for this letter:

“November 25, 1963.

“Hey Frankie –
    Remember all those Franklin half dollar dies you finished making last week? Well President Johnson says to scrap ‘em. You and I gotta make a half with JFK on it. You do reductions from the presidential medal and I’ll take some galvanos to DC for the OK.
    Oh, yeah, I’m short about 50-cents for lunch. Can you strike off a 1964 Franklin half for me so’s I can buy lunch today? I’ll pay you back Tuesday.

“Your buddy,
    “Gilroy Roberts

“PS: See what you can do about JFK’s hair. It needs more detail or maybe some accents or… it’s gotta be better than ‘ol Ben’s bald pate.”
  • Options
    I Agree with the Wisconsin Quarter Mystery. Ray In Florida..
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

greg >>

I haven't heard of a 1964 Franklin before. I didn't know they were even suspected of being minted.

Is Breen the only known person to discuss such a coin? >>

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one is right up there with the big 64 Peace Dollar in my mind.....another mystery would be whether the 59-D Wheatie is authentic or counterfeit

greg >>

I have seen both alleged 1959-D wheaties, and I do not think they are genuine.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, what happened to these?

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    CaptHenway,

I agree that the 1959-D with the big gash does not look real. Something about it just doesn't seem right.

I haven't seen the other one, so I cannot comment on them.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    "Proving" non-existence is impossible.
    Thus, no amount of research will ever disprove 1931 SL quarters, 1933 Washingtons, 1964 dollars and 1964 Franklins, etc. The most that can be done is to present findings from available sources and let reasonable people make up their own minds. Just because Walter Breen wrote it doesn't mean it happened.

Now, where did I put those 1916 SL quarters with the dolphins on the obverse, and that roll of 1942 silver half-dimes???
  • Options
    Exactly HOW did the 1933 saints leave the mint?

BTW.. has anybody else noticed that the portrait of Eunice Shriver on the commem is nothing more than the indian from the Buffalo nickel, flipped around and with a wig?

Bob
  • Options
    Why do people slab bullion?
  • Options
    pb2ypb2y Posts: 1,461
    The 1964 D Peace Dollar of which over 316 thousand
    were minted and then melted. But rumors have it that
    a number were sold to a few mint employees and never
    returned as ordered. Ownership is illegal so all transactions
    from that time would have been "under the table"

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    The '99-W MS $5 & $10 AGEs! image
  • Options
    <<How about a Proof '21 Morgan $? somthing about a so-called proof "Zerbe Die">>

I saw one for sale recently in coin world. i forget who had it, ill look and see if i can find it.

<<A big mystery in my mind is the actual happening behind the RDV-006 which came out of Denver?

I know that the recent Numismatist article indicates that these were probably intended as Copper Nickel clad proof coins yet this is simply an educated hypothesis as no real documentation actually substantiates the theory (which BTW is a damn good one!) All the indicators are there, different reverse, proof planchet's in the production lines and the fact that the San Francisco mint did ship their rejects to the Denver facility (as in the 1974-D Silver coins) but still, its a big mystery?>>

My dad has two of them slabbbed unattributed right now. They are both 65's in pcgs holders.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1974 aluminum cents, I read 14 were struck. Anyone seen one?

Not sure if it's a mystery, but how about 70x face for 83P quarters obw rolls.

At the time I was in 7th grade, could of cared less about an unc 83P Washie.

If only I had started thenimage
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why do people slab bullion? >>

That is a great mystery. Probably Top Ten !
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What happened to the 1975 quarters??
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of these questions have well known answers. Others are interesting.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    jpo1965jpo1965 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    I got this image from a post a few month's ago
    Old coins
  • Options
    Why is it the US Mint will never release accurate accounting of anything they produce?
  • Options
    pb2ypb2y Posts: 1,461

<< <i>Why is it the US Mint will never release accurate accounting of anything they produce? >>

They once did this in the annual mint reports.
    That ended with the 1965 Coinage Act which over-wrote
    the 1792 Coinage Act and allowed for the mintage of
    plated slugs (fiat coins).
    Ask the US Mint, how many copper plated zink
    Lincolns were minted in 1982? -- stone wall reception.

• Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Who made the Omega counterfeits? >>

Also, the 1964 Peace Dollar really baffles me. If a 1974 aluminum cent can show up out of the blue, then I'm sure it can happen with the 1964 Peace Dollar...hopefully.
  • Options

<< <i>Who made the Omega counterfeits? >>

The omegaman of course!image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file