Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why did they only produce "D" mint Lincolns in 1922?

This question came to mind last night before I went to sleep, and I decided to hold off until the morning to post it due to the greater crowds here in the morning that at night.

So, what was the reason that the three great mints (P, D, S) only produced a Denver minted Cent in 1922? I mean, they produced plenty of "S" and "P" coins minted coins the years before and the years after. This also makes for the very convenient result of the 1922 no mintmark (heavily worn die) cent. I just think this is one great coincedence in 20th century numismatics, although I don't dispute that they only minted Denver cents that year.

So, small cent enthusiasts or numismatic scholars, please give your insight on this issue.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Excellent question Winston! I have thought about this "great coincidence" as well.
  • Options
    1922 was a year of nationwide economic recession, and few additional coins were needed. The Denver Mint, however, received a sudden order for several million cents early in the year. Since it was not anticipated that more would be coined anytime soon, the number of dies employed was very small, causing these dies to become very eroded from overuse. The result was that both the date and mintmark began to fade away as the dies wore and were repeatedly refinished. The mintmark disappeared altogether on at least one obverse die, and for decades afterward, collectors were puzzled by and drawn to the mysterious 1922 cents apparently made at Philadelphia. Had that mint actually struck one-cent pieces in 1922, the “plain” cents would have gone without special notice. Instead, they became popular and costly collectibles.

This is from ATS from a google search.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    During WWI lots of people were working wartime jobs, and coin production went up to meet demand. After the war there was a slight recession, and coin demand dropped. The fed had plenty of coins on hand, and when silver dollar production resumed in 1921 the Mint just cut back on other denominations. Look how low most of the 1921 silver denominations are.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    In 1921 and 1922 much of the capacity of all three mints was devoted to producing standard silver dollars. These were needed so that the 4% bonds issued in place of the Pittman silver could be redeemed and silver certificates issues for circulation. There was little need for small change due to very large production during the war years, and the recession.

1922-D cent dies were sent out in January.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

was there any connection with ww1?
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>was there any connection with ww1? >>

not directly, only in that economic recessions often follow booming wartime economies.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file