Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What are the most misgraded or controversially graded coins to grade?

This is not another "What's the toughest coins series to grade", but rather what coins do you see most often coming back from the TPG's
and you are asking yourself if they got the grade right.

I've already got a few in mind, but I'll let others give their 2 cents and I'll add mine in a little bit.

Comments

• Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    This is sort of a small niche one, but I collected XF-AU Indian Cents for a long time...there are MANY XF+ Indian Cents in AU50-53 holders IMHO. Also, there are many Indian Cents, late 60s and all of the 70s usually, that are VF and end up in XF40 holders.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    I don't see any coins comming back.......Ya have to send them in & I leave that up to the experts.....
  • Options
    AU/MS slider FE cents comes to mind immediately. I also question some of the higher grade (66+) Jeffersons with, IMHO, strikes that are far too weak to merit anything over 64.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I think almost every EAC member will agree with me when I say that Large Cents are the most mis-graded coins around.
    I for one partly agree with them, but sometimes their standards for grading coins is alien to most other numismatists.

I also have seen a lot of controversially graded Draped Bust Halves in grades F-12 through AU; these seem to show a wide variance for a number of grades.

Also, a coin that rarely gets any recognition, the Silver Trime, seems to be misgraded every now and then; this might just be me image
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    My Lincoln cents with the state outlines keep coming back... Same for the ones with a pipe - must be a conspiracy to suppress these original artworks.
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    Incused designed Indian Head half and quarter eagles comes to mind.
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

to me, I have no doubt it is problem coin "key dates" and rarities: the 'Big Two' TPGs love to net grade these to get them into their population reports (and thus bragging rights), but doing a dis-service to the collecting community by slabbing and not body bagging these things. I find it funny that whenever a thread starts stating "should PCGS slab problem coins with a special label, people get all upset saying it will cheapen the brand. At least a properly identified problem coin cheapens the brand less than silently net grading problem coins and pretending like the coins are A-okay.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1804 dollars. image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Incused designed Indian Head half and quarter eagles comes to mind. >>

Agree. A lot of sliders graded MS61, 62 in all the top tier slabs.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1804 dollars. image >>

Only "snobs" are concerned about those. image

Otherwise, I would say incuse Indian gold as well.
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peace dollars in grades from AU/MS...
    Classic Indian gold from AU/MS...
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    20 centers are tricky and get graded inconsistently as a result

greg

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>to me, I have no doubt it is problem coin "key dates" and rarities: the 'Big Two' TPGs love to net grade these to get them into their population reports (and thus bragging rights), but doing a dis-service to the collecting community by slabbing and not body bagging these things. I find it funny that whenever a thread starts stating "should PCGS slab problem coins with a special label, people get all upset saying it will cheapen the brand. At least a properly identified problem coin cheapens the brand less than silently net grading problem coins and pretending like the coins are A-okay. >>

It's funny, I seen plenty of those in NGC & PCGS get'n slabbed... But the one's in ANACS, or other TPG'ers are slabbed as net details grade with the problem listed on the holder. UNBELIEVABLE !!!
  • Options
    USAFRETWIUSAFRETWI Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    +1 on Peace Dollars
  • Options
    Misgraded? Incuse Indian gold.

Controversial? Early AU/MS silver and gold.
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Mintmarked buffalo nickels from the 1920s where collectors expect a full sharp horn on a VF20 when it never had one when it was new!
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of mine .... They were 70's at SGS image
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    -1870-S Half Dime
    -AU gold graded by NGC
    -Seated coinage in AU+++ All TPG companies grade seated coins with a little, almost unnoticable rub/handling marks MS, although technically they are AU and grade the good grade when more common in MS/more popular.

Dennis
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cleaned / problem early rare coins that are in top tier slabs without noting the problem on the label.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file