Home Metal Detecting
Options

todays stuff 1-30-08

when i dug the buffalo, i thought it was gonna be in great condition. when i got home i found it has iron stuck to it. its dated 1913 and rust is on the MM. will have to soak in oil to find the MM. can anyone ID the 2 things below it?

Comments

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where are you digging at; a Victorian era dump!? Awesome finds!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    Nice finds. The very bottom piece looks similiar to the key I use to wind my grandfathers old shelf clock...
    I can't wait to see the buffalo when you get done with it, it looks to be in pretty decent shape.

HH,
    Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    The object on the bottom looks like a winding key for a clock. I haven't a clue about the others. Hope the buffalo cleans up a bit for you. Is it a type 1 or type 2? Either way let's hope it's an "s". One Funny thing I've noticed about the corroded coins I find - they always seem to be fugly right where the date and/or mintmark is.
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Jinx! You owe me a Coke Rick!!

When I was a kid, we used to always say that whenever you said the same thing at the same time as somebody else.
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    I must agree the finds do look Victorian. You may find some other good stuff there. Very nice.

Brian, is the rectangular piece maybe a hair barrette?

G.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭

<< <i>Jinx! You owe me a Coke Rick!! >>

Nahhhh.... A Pepsi maybe! It's a new generation you know! LOL, so now we are dating ourselves. Look me up if you ever get into my neck of the woods and I will purchase the first soft drink of your choice... Then we can exchange the imageimage and enjoy the image until the cows come home image

HH,
    Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    i'll go with the clock winding key....cool finds demo.....jinx!...i remember that stuff crispy.....jinx!....hee hee hee! ah, the good, not so old days!...hh

"see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice finds... that site will yield a lot more... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    This thread (and others like it for that matter), brought to mind a cartoon I saw in a Mad magazine many, many years ago...

In it, an archeologist far, far in the future was holding up a license plate and explaining how people in the 20th century used to wear them around their necks for identification. image

While I'm sure most guesses are accurate, I bet it would be amusing to someone from the Victorian era to hear what some of those other guesses are!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>can anyone ID the 2 things below it? >>

Were they bigger, I'd have said some kind of epaulette from a military uniform, but they ain't big enough, I reckon. That can't be it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.