Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anybody seen the 50 Greatest Basketball cards of All-Time list? This is a February 2008 list that ju

Hi everybody, did you read the list for the 50 Greatest Basketball cards of All-Time? It just came out in the new February issue of Beckett mag. I haven't read a Beckett mag in a while, but while I was at the local Barns and Nobles, or the only one in Staten Island, LOL, and picked up a Beckett mag to check it out, and it was a very good issue, it shows the 50 greatest Basketball cards of all-time.

Anyway, did anybody get to see this yet? If so, what do you think about? There are some cards that I wouldn't want for free, or that is even worth more than 100 bucks, so we would it be on the top 50 list? How do they pick the list? I just wanted to let everybody know about the list, and when I get a little time later on, I will list the 50 cards.

Alright all, talk to ya later image

Giovanni

Comments

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    might as well get it over with - is the mikan menko on the list?
  • Options

<< <i>might as well get it over with - is the mikan menko on the list? >>

image I wish it was, but then again, I wouldn't want it to be on that list, because I no longer own it image

Talking about the Menko, I got that check for a whopping $650!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a card I thought was gona do 5K imageimage

Oh well, but I did make the list with one of my cards image, and yes, its a Mikan image

Let me list a few cards while i'm at it.

Giovanni
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    It didn't matter what it sold for, you had it and you can always say you had the rarest mikan card ever made!

IIRC ya made a couple bucks on it too!

I figured you heard so much about it then that you might as well hear some more image
  • Options
    Straight out of the mag:

50 GREATEST BASKETBALL CARDS OF ALL TIME

With so many recent anniversaries celebrating in the Basketball hobby over the last year, such as the 10th anniversary of the 1986-98 Fleer set and the 50th anniversary of Topps, we thought that now would be the perfect time to compile a list of the top 50 greatest basketball cards of all time.

There was no set formula for determining the rankings. It's not so easy to define greatness. Factors we considered for each card were hobby significance and impact, value throughout its existence, all-time popularity and overall coolness.

We're sure you're going to agree with us on most cards and think we've lost our minds on others. We'd love to hear your opinions, so be sure to shoot us an email at blah-blah-blah.
  • Options

<< <i>It didn't matter what it sold for, you had it and you can always say you had the rarest mikan card ever made!

IIRC ya made a couple bucks on it too!

I figured you heard so much about it then that you might as well hear some more image >>

Oh, no problem man, its always good getting back a good memory imageimage

What am I gona? I sold it, and thats that. Maybe someday i'll find another one image

Giovanni
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Could you post the list, please?

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    They said no order, but here is number 50 anyway.

Ok, card number 50 in the all time greatest Basketball card goes to:

2000-01 SP Authntic #93 Darius Miles AU/500 RC ($20)

I will write what Beckett says about each card if that helps, or if I get time, lol.

This is what they said about this one:

Now a mere $20, this Darius Miles autograph RC was the hottest card in the hobby in early 2001. This set took RCs to another level with on-card autographs. Too bad the player on it is now a permanent resident in Spareville.
  • Options

<< <i>Could you post the list, please?

image >>

No problem man, wana give some suspense, otherwise it won't be fun, lol. This was, you gotta build up some suspense to see if one of your cards is on the list. Don't worry, i'll get to your card! image

Giovanni
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    You could scan the pages and post them.

That would be a tad more efficient than typing all those words and stuff..

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

2006-07 Press Pass Legends Center Court Cuts #1 Pete Maravich/5 ($N/A)

It terms of sheer coolness, this is one of the top 10 cards of all time. There are only five out there, but this is the first Pistol Pete Maravich autograph ever inserted into packs. What makes it even more relevant is that it highlights The Pistol's career at LSU, and he's still the most prolific scorer the college game has ever seen.
  • Options

<< <i>You could scan the pages and post them.

That would be a tad more efficient than typing all those words and stuff..

image >>

I feel like getting a good typping lesson, LOL. I think its more fun this way for everybody. Its like busting thru a box of cards in two seconds, why do that? lol, one pack at a time image

Giovanni
  • Options

2003-04 Exquisite Collection #76 Carmelo Anthony JYS AU RC ($3,000)

As Melo continues to raise his game, this card will become more significant. In fact, it could surpass the Dwayane Wade in value in the near future. It's a cornerstone card in the most valuable RC set of all time.
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    <<<Ok, card number 50 in the all time greatest Basketball card goes to:>>>

<<<2000-01 SP Authntic #93 Darius Miles AU/500 RC ($20)>>>

WTF... are they on crack!!!
  • Options
    You know what man, your right, LOL, my fingers and eyes are starting to kill me. Alright, I gotta scan it, but its gona take a little while image

Giovanni
  • Options
    Anybody out there want it one by one, or will the scan do??? image

I want to make sure everybody is happy!

Giovanni
  • Options
    Alright, got the first page done. Don't think its gona show good, but better than nothing I guess.

Oh no, wait a minute, it shows just fine! image

Giovanni
  • Options
    Next cards:

• Options
    Any thought? Comments? What do you think about this list? image

Giovanni
  • Options
    This one is one of my favorites! I collect Basketball HOF autographs, and this one has Chamberlain, which I don't yet have image Nice card! image

• Options
    Alright guys, gotta go watch American Idol with my wife, before I miss the whole thing image

I'll be back later with the rest, if somebody else dosen't list it before I come image

Giovanni
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I got this as my first issue of my subscription. It looks like they let the 12 year olds on the Beckett boards vote on the list. I mean some are good picks and some are horrible. Yeah put the Shaq UD RC but not his TSC rookie too. In the real list you should have about 10 cards from the 86-87 Fleer set that goes down every other month haha.
  • Options
    fujfuj Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Giovanni,
    Thanks for posting this. I must say though, my first reaction after seeing card #50 was that the author is an idiot. Of course, I still want to see the rest of the list!

Other thoughts:

How can Chamberlain and Russell RCs be #15 and #17?!!
    You would think they could have gotten a better sample of the David Robinson RC (OC both directions!)
  • Options
    The list is the top 50 cards that have had an impact on the hobby. The d Miles card had a huge impact on teh hobby when it was released...
    www.sportsnutcards.com
    Specializing in Certified Autograph Cards, Rookies, Rare Inserts and other quality modern cards! Over 8000 Cards in stock now! Come visit our physical store located at 1210 Main St. Belmar ,NJ
  • Options
    -Garnett should not have had 3 cards on the list (SP RC, Finest RC, 96 Autographics which should have been Grant Hill if they are gonna use a card from that set.)

-Kidd should have been Finest rather than SP rookie.

-Kobe Lucky 13 should not have been anywhere on the list.

-Shaq TSC should be cut but I guess the Beam Team can stay, UD belongs on the list and I am even ok with the Shaq Classic being on there because it was a huge card at one point.

-The Miles card is just dumb, it really wasn't a massive buzz card when it was hot.

Some of the others could be replaced by better cards, but these are the ones that I have the most problem with.

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Considering that the David Robinson Hoops RC (#138) was NOT a SP and that Dr. J's last name is Erving, not Ervin, I can't say I'm impressed with Beckett's writers.

The crushes they have on '90s inserts and rookie cards is almost funny. Were they all born between 1981 and 1985?

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    that list is pretty lame... a proliferation of junk from the 90's.
    over-produced insert garbage.

thumbs up for your efforts though posting and scanning it for us.
  • Options
    Hey guys, sorry for the delay, i'm back and will post the rest, please give me some time to scan image

Giovanni
  • Options
    Heres the next:

• Options
    Anybody got any of the cards listed so far? I was lucky enough to get one of my cards on that list! image I got the Mikan auto, that one is on the last page.

Giovanni
  • Options
    Heres the second last page:

• Options
    And the last of the cards:

• Options
    Alright guys and gals, hope you enjoyed! image

So, what do you think about the list? What cards would you add or take away? And who made this list anyway? LOL

Giovanni
  • Options

<< <i>The list is the top 50 cards that have had an impact on the hobby. >>

No, it is not. Some factors they considered were hobby signifigance and impact, value throughout the card's existance, all-time popularity and overall coolness.

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Some very pricey cards in there....the fleer Jordan redemption, and the Lebron Exquisite rc.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options

<< <i>Some very pricey cards in there....the fleer Jordan redemption, and the Lebron Exquisite rc. >>

Yeah I know, and some very cheap ones too! LOL

Giovanni
  • Options
    Overall this is a half decent list, and for the most part hits all of the cards which were popular or had a buzz of some kind over the last 20 years.

I would have liked to see some more 70's basketball, but in all honesty there are not too many high dollar cards from that era outside of the Erving, Maravich, and Alcindor rookies.

The later 80s and early 90s cards in retrospect were mass produced and quite plentiful, but in reality helped drive the hobby during the boom days.

J
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I didn't really read the list or this thread, but if you're telling me that a Grant Hill RC is "greater" than a 1969-70 Topps Lew Alcindor, then we can't even have a conversation about anything at any time for any reason. Ever.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Also, I have no problem with the David Robinson card being anywhere in the top 10 because that was THE card that put basketball card collecting on the map. It would be like omitting the 89 UD Griffey from a greatest baseball cards list.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I didn't really read the list or this thread, but if you're telling me that a Grant Hill RC is "greater" than a 1969-70 Topps Lew Alcindor, then we can't even have a conversation about anything at any time for any reason. Ever. >>

Or how about a Tracy McGrady card listed higher than a Jerry West card?
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Has there been any recorded sales on that Jordan /23 card?
  • Options

<< <i>I didn't really read the list or this thread, but if you're telling me that a Grant Hill RC is "greater" than a 1969-70 Topps Lew Alcindor, then we can't even have a conversation about anything at any time for any reason. Ever. >>

I agree, but I will say that the Grant Hill Rookie at the time was more popular than the Alcindor rookie has ever been. When the Alcindor rookie came out, basketball cards were nothing more than a novelty. When the hobby took off in the 80s/90s his playing days were over so the card never had a buzz in the hobby.

J
  • Options

They didn't list the cards in any particular order, just the top 50 in no order.

Giovanni
  • Options
    I think it is a tops 50 list kind of like the NBA's 50 Greatest Players List. Not so much about the order as long as everyone is represented.
  • Options
    Theres pleanty of cards that should have made the list, I think.

I think the list is missing that Michael Jordan Skybox Metal(I think thats what its called) were the green color, there were only 10 made. At one point I think it booked for like 15K???

Then they didnt include the autograph of Knicks Legend, Dave DeBusschere.

They didn't include the best card IMO, which is the Michael Jordan 1997-98 UD Game Jersey Autograph numbered to 23. Now that should be Jordan's best card period, being a piece of all-star jersey, his first jersey card, his first autograph card, and I think is first serial numbered card???

And when they list Grant Hill finest rookie, why not make it his Refractor version, instead of the regular? Its like making Kobe's Chrome regular rookie a top card, instead of the Refractor version. It just makes no sense to me!

Why they listed that Shaq beam team is beyond me, LOL. I can see if it were like numbered to 50 or something, or an autograph on it, or jersey, or something.

I can see the Lebron Exquisite Rookie, but I still don't see it worth over 10K. Why that much? LOL Why isen't cards serial numbered to lower from that same set of him worth more??? It would only make sense to me if a card from the same set numbered to 25 with jersey and auto would be worth more than his rookie, which is numbered to 99. I think i've seen cards of him numbered to 25 from that same set with auto and jersey for only 3K or something like that. WHY? Why not make that card be worth 20K since its numbered to 25, and its from the same set! LOL

Anywa, I can go on forever, but theres no time right now image

Giovanni
  • Options
    Parallels are not rookies and they are not as mainstream as the Kobe Chrome Rookie etc. Also the Shaq Beam Team put inserts on the map and was a killer card at the time, I agree it shouldn't be on the list. I like the Jordan Planet Metal Gems Green too, but I think they are trying to name 50 Greatest cards not the 50 most elite and rarest cards.
  • Options

<< <i>I think it is a tops 50 list kind of like the NBA's 50 Greatest Players List. Not so much about the order as long as everyone is represented. >>

LOL, the NBA 50 Greatest players were picked by people from the NBA and so on, but that 50 greatest Basketball card thing was made up probably by 12 and 13 year olds, like somebody mentioned earlier, LOL, or those guys from Beckett alone?

Giovanni
  • Options

<< <i>Has there been any recorded sales on that Jordan /23 card? >>

the last 2 I have seen have gone for around 6000
    Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has there been any recorded sales on that Jordan /23 card? >>

I have seen a few on ebay for a Buy it now for around 10k. I dont think any of them actually sold though.

Ankur
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    GOODLIEUGOODLIEU Posts: 629 ✭✭
    I take this list for what it is. Their opinion of cards that impacted the hobby in the last 25 years or so. CDsNuts comment "Also, I have no problem with the David Robinson card being anywhere in the top 10 because that was THE card that put basketball card collecting on the map. It would be like omitting the 89 UD Griffey from a greatest baseball cards list" is right on target.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Dominique Wilkins and Scottie Pippen rookies made the top 50, but Karl Malone and John Stockton rookies didn't?

Pippen may have been the second-best player of the 1990s?

Sorry Beckett. Get a writer who's not consumed by mancrushes.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.