Home Sports Talk

Is Chris Webber a future HOFer?

gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
Two parts to the question:

Do you follow the NBA closely enough to know who should be a HOFer?

Is Chris Webber a HOFer?
I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !

Comments

• halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes

No
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    No

I doubt it, but when he played for the Kings he was awesome.
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    maybe? why not? he was a top 5 forward for 5-8 years.
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

• << <i>maybe? why not? he was a top 5 forward for 5-8 years. >>

How many years was Spencer Haywood one of the top forwards?
    Tom
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    No rings, "time-out" cost his team the NCAA title, well short of 20K points, reputation for being "difficult", need I say more?
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How many years was Spencer Haywood one of the top forwards? >>

I was born 4 years after Haywood played his last game in the NBA, so to be honest I'm not really sure.

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • doesnt the NBA let everyone in the HOF? you play a game, score a point your in the hall? maybe its just my perception.
    he doesnt belong, he' had several very good years, but his name doesnt inspire greatness.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    LOL!

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>No rings, "time-out" cost his team the NCAA title, well short of 20K points, reputation for being "difficult", need I say more? >>

Rings shouldn't be the determination as it is a team sport. Further, his team wouldn't have been to the NCAA finals two years in a row without him, so his timeout didn't cost them anything but "an opportunity" to win the title. Proof is probably in the following year when Webber left and his team only made it to the final 8. They were losing when the timeout was called if I remember correctly, so the point is pure speculation anyways.

HOF'er... Borderline. He was a great player for a while. A double-double machine. Truly a dominant force. One of the NBA's all-time best? I guess the voters wioll have to decide. Too tough to call IMO.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I never thought of him as the best at his position during his prime, much less a HOFer.

Without even thinking about it, would rather have Malone, Barkley, or Duncan on my team over C-Web in a heartbeat.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    IMO, no way is he a HOF'er...

To the poster that mentioned that everyone gets in...well, they got it wrong on Dennis Johnson then, because he's not in the Hall and deserves to be.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I never thought of him as the best at his position during his prime, much less a HOFer.

Without even thinking about it, would rather have Malone, Barkley, or Duncan on my team over C-Web in a heartbeat. >>

Agreed, and I dont even follow basketball other than the scoring in the paper...
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to clarify his college years. He only played one year of college, the 1992-93 season. He was a member of the Fab 5 at Michigan. 5 freshmen players started all year and went to the NCAA Championship game, where Webber called time out with no time outs left. Before calling the time out, he also travelled after rebounding the ball and hesitating before deciding to dribble up court. The ref chose not to call him for travelling, but he pulled his pivot foot and definitely travelled. If the ref called travelling, Webber would not have had the chance to call time out.

After finishing his freshman year of basketball, he turned pro. I doubt he even finished second semester classes his freshman year.

He was drafted #1 and was traded to the Warriors. The Warriors made the playoffs that year, mainly due to Webber. He had a great rookie year in the NBA but clashed with Don Nelson. He was traded at the beginning of his second year in the NBA to Washington. The Warriors did not make the playoffs again until last spring. Many players went through Golden State during the years after Webber left. Many stayed for a short period of time and then went on to other teams where they had long careers, some even becoming All Stars [i.e. Gilbert Arenas].

Funny how things work out. Webber signed up with the Warriors two days ago. The current Warriors coach is Don Nelson. I wonder how things will work this time. I suspect that Webber, with his injuries and worn out body, will be a role player at best, getting some rebounds and passing in the post. The Warriors live and die by the 3 point shot and the run and gun tempo. they have a dire need for an inside presence to allow them to play effective in a half court game. I have no idea if Webber will be a fit. Stay tuned.
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Webber played two years of college ball. In his freshman year, the Wolverines lost to Duke in the finals, and in his sophomore year, they lost to North Carolina in the finals.
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Just a note: Malone, Barkley, and Duncan are all first ballot hall of famers.

That is sort of like saying "I would rather have MJ than Clyde Drexler any day" when asked if Clyde should be in the HOF...

I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !