Home Metal Detecting
Options

Rock Tumbler

Just curious what types/brands of rock tumblers you guys are using to tumble your clad with. I'm looking to get one but I would like some input before I go buy an elcheapo that craps out on me. Thanks!
Todd

Comments

• Options
    I don't tumble clad or common stuff....I just wash it and spend it.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had one and tumbled ancient and roman.Worked pretty good till the time I left it running for a week in
    the garage..no coins leftimage and haven't used it since.

Al
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Sounds a good deal on a rock tumbler for me.... image I mean you have no need for it! image
    Todd
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... left them in for a week? What kind of coins were they? Certainly hope nothing of value. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Wow... left them in for a week? What kind of coins were they? >>

No clue there were no coins left! image

LOL, trying to think straight after that, it dawns on me that maybe others have some ideas for cleaning common stuff that others have not thought about. I use Tide laundry detergent and a couple of ounces of water for most things with a packet of copper plated BBs' (I keep reusing these) and just tumble them in a cheapo rock tumbler over night. The clad stuff comes out looking pretty good while the nickels look like they just came from the bank or mint while older "real" copper pennies have a washed out cleaned look to them (if you are a collector, you know what I mean). I only do this when I have a really good day, otherwise I just pass a couple of dimes or quarters in a vending machine and purchase a soda (or hit coin return and get a couple of shiny coins back in return) image I have been thinking about trying some "natural" cleaning methods but have not done so yet. Maybe toss a cut up lemon into a tumbler with some vinegar and the BBs, the acids should clean up the copper really well while the BBs knock off the dirt and create a shine on the clad stuff. If anyone has tried that or something similiar post and let me/us know if it works...

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did well with Romans in a tumbler, but only left them there overnight.

I started with a kiddie model but later my wife got me a real one like a rockhound would use. I don't remember the model name or number offhand, but it's out in the workshop if you want me to look. I have only used it once. I've had as much success with fine brass wire brushes, but I might still use the tumbler on some things.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I have used a rock tumbler in the past, but for the life of me I can't remember the name...It was one I got from my brother in law, and I used crushed pecan shells in it, to help clean them and to impart a pretty tone to the metal..
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    I got a cheap one from Harbor freight. I had to replace the drive belt they supplied but it has lasted me many years.