Home Metal Detecting

FINALLY!!! SILVER!!!!

Well I guess you guys have been waiting sometime now for me to find my first silver coin... TODAY WAS THE DAY!!!!! Here is the story:
In a land far far away.... there was a young man who dreamed of glory and finding his first silver coin. He had toiled long and hard in the fields of the Kiwans/FOP lodge. He spent evening after evening, day after day, searching for the elusive silver coin. To make matters worse he even had a evil villian attempt to steal his glory by finding a silver ring. Eventhough times were hard the young lad never gave up hope and continued his search although he was told to look elsewhere.
The date: January 27, 2008. The place: Kiwanis/FOP lodge Salisbury, NC. Our young hero steps onto the soccer field to find his riches. As he began to sweep the coil of his mighty DFX (Wow this story would suck if I had said Garrets there....image ) when he got his first beep. He dug down and found a hole full of dimes and quarters as if a young child had buried them. After finding several other holes like this one our hero thought that this would be like every other day in the field. After about an hour of searching he heard a strong tone coming from about 4 inches down. The tone appeared to be a normal dime, as usual. Our hero pinpoints his target, slips his spade into the ground, and pries the ground up to see his awaiting coin. However, this would be no normal dime, this would be a SILVER DIME..... Our hero gasps as he sees and unusual silver glow coming from within the red clay and brown dirt. COULD IT BE?!?! COULD OUR HERO HAVE FOUND HIS FIRST SILVER COIN?!?!?!?!? HE HAD!!! He frantically fumbled for his camera to take pictures of the momentus occasion. After snaping his first picture he plucked the dime from its dirt tomb and began to gently brush away some of the dirt. A 1964 D ROOSEVELT DIME!!! WOOHOOOOOOO. Our hero sat breathless for a moment and then realized that he must call his wife to tell her that he his now MASTER of his domain!!

Well if that wasn't the cheesiest story you ever heard I don't know what was. Regardless, I did find a 1964 D Roosevelt Dime today. In looking through the post on the ASUTODD FIRST SILVER COIN GIVEAWAY, it would appear that LordM will be keeping his goodluck charm. BentFork did guess 1964 Dime but he said no mint mark. I'll leave that part up to LordM to decide. Well after all that fanfare I supposse you guys want to see some pics, I shall waste no more time then!
Todd

Comments

• COOL TODD! ! !
    G man gets it

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Todd. I remember the feeling well. My first silver coin score was also a '64 dime. It was a BENT silver roosie but I was elated none-the-less. Now that you've popped your detecting cherry, they will probably just start rolling in for you! image
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • I suppose my guess of a 1796 quarter was not fulfilled. image
  • davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Congrats on your first silver. Now get back out there and find more!
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is this GREEN grass and unfrozen ground???????? Congrats on the silver. More will come and maybe some gold rings. You never know until you dig it.
  • ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Well to be honest it is a miracle that we have any grass period. We are in the midst of one of the worst droughts ever here in NC. Luckily the past couple of weeks we have had some good rain and snow so it is getting better. The winter, until about 3 weeks ago, was really mild and the grass started growing like crazy. However, the temps have recently been in the low teens for the lows and highs have been in the 30s. Today was a WONDERFUL day. Started out a bit chilly but got up to the high 50s so I had a good day. Now when I first got out to the Lodge the lake still had a covering of ice so it was a bit chilly. Either way, wonderful day to hunt and can't wait to get back out there again!
    Todd
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations... may you find many more... Cheers, RickO
  • Congrats!

I still have not found any silver coins but I've found silver jewelry.
  • Congrats!!..........Too bad you had to wait so long...the Garrett may have gotten it a week quicker...(LOL JK)...Looks like you have a great place to hunt...cover it well!
  • Congrats Todd. Here soon, you'll get tired of finding silver Rosies and want something different. image

Keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing more of your silver finds.

Congrats again! image
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Congratulations Todd - I've been watching the hunt for silver thread for a while now. Hope it's the first of a lot of silver for you - don't you just love how clean they come out of the hole?
    -Joe

-Weinman Fan
  • Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    Coingrats Todd! Way to go buddy and may it be the first of many and many older silver coins to come your way! It warmed up today and tomorrow is supposed to be in the mid 40s so I might get out for a couple of hours myself provided I don't get that dreaded call from work...

Keep it up and HH!

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Way to go Todd......I may have been off on the location of my prediction yesterday, but I had a very strong feeling you were going to find a silver Roosevelt. I did pray to the metal detecting God last night. image
    I hope this is just the beginning of a long streak......Even though it was cold where you are, I'm glad for you that you didn't get to make any of these guys. MDH image
  • hey hey hey!....wtg!....what not a barber?....go clean your room!....hee hee hee!...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Congrats Todd, Now go get some more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    imageimage
  • Congrats Todd! image

BTW- I loved your "cheesy" story! image

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CONGRATULATIONS!

See? I told you it would happen!!!

I am a little surprised it wasn't a Merc, but not terribly surprised it was a Roosie.

I do not keep my good luck charm, as you mentioned, 'cause it goes to whoever guessed closest. If Gary (Bentfork) guessed 1964 dime with no mintmark, he is still dang close and the winner of the contest.

Oh, yeah... *ahem* Why would your story suck if you had used the name "Garrett" in it, hmm? We Garrett Mafia members wanna know! image

Speaking of the Garrett Mafia, I too got MY first silver yesterday. (Of 2008, that is.)

Multiple silver, I might add.

Story to follow shortly. image

Congrats again, dude- I knew it wouldn't be long for you.

Keep it beepin! image

PS- the sight of that North Carolina red clay brings back heady memories of my first outings with a modern detector, in the early 1990s in Asheville. We had a bunch of rocks in the soil there which sometimes made diggin' tough, though. Nothing like the easy dirt down here in Coastal GA.

Boy, there's nothin' like the sight of bright silver shining in the dirt, is there? A '64-D Roosie is one of the humblest silvers you could get, but it's the sign of greater things to come, believe me. You will experience that adrenaline rush again. Be sure to mark this day and keep records of your finds- you'll be glad you did, later.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Congrats Todd! image Nice looking dime. I knew you'd eventually hit. Now get out there and find the rest of them at that spot!

<< <i>I do not keep my good luck charm, as you mentioned, 'cause it goes to whoever guessed closest. If Gary (Bentfork) guessed 1964 dime with no mintmark, he is still dang close and the winner of the contest. >>

Thank you Todd. And thank you again Rob for the opportunity. This will be my new "Good luck Charm". My rabbit's foot is worn out anyway image
    imageimageimage
  • DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    You use a spade?

Oh, yeah....Congrats on the silver.
    Why not.......... I can dig a hole just as nice and neat as you can with a smaller digging tool. Alos when I'm in the middle of a field that no one cares what it looks like its a WHOLE lot easier to use and I don't have to bend down as much. There is an old saying, "To each his own".
    Todd
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've actually started using a small contractor's shovel (which qualifies as a spade, I guess). It took me years to figure out what our newbie detectorist just did: namely, you can actually cut a much tidier plug with a small shovel/spade, and it doesn't have to be any bigger around than a plug cut with a hand-digging tool like a knife, either. Furthermore, you can cut a deeper plug, which gives the grassroots a better chance of holding together and surviving.

Not to mention it saves on the back considerably. I still carry my old hori-hori knife for in-the-hole work, as you've seen from my action pictures, but I actually cut the plug with the shovel now.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Right on...I'll get my new MXT out soon......
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • >>Why not.......... I can dig a hole just as nice and neat as you can with a smaller digging tool.<<

Another way to make a "nice and neat" hole: Local school yard

For this type of lawn, the plugger is the right tool! People don't see you walking around with a shovel or large item that looks like a KNIFE.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
    I have been looking for one of those for a long time but can never find one. Cna you give me the exact name or manufacturing company of that one? Maybe even point me to where you got that one!! If I can't find one I may need you to get me one and I'll pay you for it! Let me know. Thanks!
    Todd
  • Hi Todd,
    Look at this site: http://www.jimmysierra.com/toolsdetail.htm#popper

It is about the same as mine. I won mine from a person in Calif. wow makes these.

Good Luck

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
    Any ideas on what WOW stands for? In searching through Google I can't seem to find their company. Thanks
    Todd