Home Metal Detecting

I fish too!

My second hobby is fishing. This was a "good catch" on the 16th of June, 2006. This reservoir is at almost 10,000 feet, and there was still four feet of snow in some places. Again, it was the 16th of June and one reservoir about two miles away was still half covered with ice. It holds grayling. It is the only reservoir I know of in Colorado that has grayling in it.

Good catch....These are rainbow trout.

This is where I caught them. The side I was fishing on was in the sun with no snow.

This is the same reservoir in early Autumn. I had better luck fishing here than what I had detecting. I found a few fishing lures but, no coins or jewelry. I live 90 miles from here, so I get up here often.

This is a nice brown trout I caught in the Big Thompson River on
the way to Estes Park, Colorado. Notice the lure is still in the fish.
I released him to live another day.

Comments

• COOL ! ! !

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice... looks like a good meal...(the graylings)... Cheers, RickO
  • bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    MDH we may have to get out fishing together sometime..... Im probally not all that far from you.

Jim

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

• Hi Jim,
    I am just about always ready to go fishing. I will be 74 in a few weeks so I have slown down a bit. Are you in the Denver area. Are you familiar with the Cameron Pass area? That is generally where I head out for.
    We won't be able to talk football though.....I don't like the Donkies...opps, I mean Broncos....
    I won't be back in Colorado until around the end of April. What is the best way to contact you? I will be anxious to start collecting cattail shoots to eat in the Spring.
    Ken
  • bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    You can message me here any time, may have to break out the detectors also..... And yes im right in the Denver Metro.

Jim

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

• I have a world record for catch hand release Northeren Pike on 36 lbs test line. If you ever go to Hayward Wisconsin, my picture is in the World Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame there, as well as in their record book.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • ever float around on a U tube? me and my wife enjoy tubing during the summer. here's last summer's best find for me:
  • headsplitter2headsplitter2 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    Bet you, if you hooked a musky. He'd be trolling you.
    "Only 2 things are certain
    Death and Taxes" ~~ Ben Franklin
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/mint-sets/1945-mint-set/publishedset/21067
    Knutson's 45' Set 2009 Winner
  • I always have a hard time deciding between fishing and detecting in the spring and fall.

I didn't catch any big fish in 2007 so here are a couple of average cats.

My fishing buddy with a monster! image

Here he is with a decent one.

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    If my son and I are not detecting we are most likely fishing. Here's his 14" crappie he caught on fishin opener 2007.

Hey Ken (MDH)... tell me about the cattail shoots... have not heard of them. I know what cattails are.. just never heard of eating them. Details? Cheers, RickO
  • nice fish everybody!...since i've taken up metal detecting, i've only wet a line 2 or 3 times.....anyone want to buy some fishing rods?.....hee hee hee!....the trout were caught by my brother and my cousin on our annual june fishing trip in maine....the sailfish was released to fight another day.....the rainbow and brownie were eaten at dinner.....tight lines

"see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • davbec...Great fish your son caught. Crappies, as you know, are some great eating. It is super that you have a relationship like you have with your son. My hat is off to you.
    MDH
  • ricko...Here are two sites that will explain what part of the cattail you can eat. On the first site, scroll down until you see a picture of a man’s hand holding a cattail shoot. Mmmmmmmm, the shoots are so good . It also explains how you can eat the root feelers as they grow in Spring and Summer. (rizomes) To me, they are better than crab leg claws. In Spring, as the "cigar" part is forming, cut it off, (several of them) peal off the shucks, and boil them in water for about ten minutes. After removing them from the water, add butter and salt and pepper, and eat it like you would corn on the cob.

http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Plants.Folder/Cattails.html

Here is a good picture of the cattail shoots.

This is another great site about collecting cattail shoots. Scroll about half way down to get to the info on cattails. On this site, the story just before the cattail info, explains how to eat lambsquarter. Great salad food.

http://www.prodigalgardens.info/june weblog.htm

I eat MANY different wild plants and flowers. Put rose petals, pansies, violets etc. in your salad. Dandelion greens are great too. I make tea from them too. Day lily buds, flowers and tubors. This is a picture of the buds. Cut several of them, boil for about 6-8 minutes, then eat like green beans. Yummy!!!!!!

One more picture of a salad made from violet flowers, violet leaves, dandelion flowers and tulip petals.

White pine tree needles make an excellent tea. I have tons of information on eating wild stuff. Let me know if I can be of any more help. BON APPITITE!!!!! Ken (MDH)
    Thanks very much Ken.... very interesting. I grew up collecting wild onions and wild potato's - along with the various fruits and nuts available in the woods. Had not heard of the cattails... wow.. all I passed up... sounds like they are delicious. Thanks again, Cheers, RickO
  • Great pictures guys. It's been forever since I've been fishing, but I do love to when I can.
    Speer34

imageimageimage