Home Sports Talk
Options

Quick Poll Re: Basketball

JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
Question 1: Who here has EVER dunked a basketball on a 10 foot rim?
Question 2: Who here can dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim NOW?

I'm only 5'9'' (and Asian at that), but I used to argue back and forth with my friend (who was 6'5''and started on his state champion basketball team) that if I made it my life's goal, I could dunk a basketball.

/s/ JackWESQ

Comments

• Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Two words: Strength Shoes.

Anyone remember those?
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options

<< <i>Question 1: Who here has EVER dunked a basketball on a 10 foot rim?
    Question 2: Who here can dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim NOW?

I'm only 5'9'' (and Asian at that), but I used to argue back and forth with my friend (who was 6'5''and started on his state champion basketball team) that if I made it my life's goal, I could dunk a basketball.

/s/ JackWESQ >>

did you? Or was this a recent bet?
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Nope. The closest I came was being able to grab the rim. Although I was able to palm a basketball.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    I used to be able to dunk a basketball with ease. When I played I was about 205 pounds. I am on a diet. 3 weeks ago I was 240 pounds. I have lost 10 pounds and hope to lose another 20. I might be able to dunk again. By the way I am almost 41, not quite the 20 year old who used to dunk with ease.
  • Options

<< <i>Two words: Strength Shoes.

Anyone remember those? >>

Jimmy can dunk. Jimmy's new in town. Jimmy we'll see you later.
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    age then ---20's 6'3" 185 lbs could dunk on 10 foot rim
    age now --38 6'3" 247 lbs can dunk hot wings into ranch dressing
    Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    I'm so bad at basketball I can't hit the rim, net or even the backboard. image
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭

<< <i>age then ---20's 6'3" 185 lbs could dunk on 10 foot rim
    age now --38 6'3" 247 lbs can dunk hot wings into ranch dressing >>

never could do the dunking at an early age....but can also dunk those wings
  • Options
    Six years ago there was few months where I was doing it regularly

I could do it again even without making it my life's goal, but the odds grow longer and longer the more time passes
    Tom
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in the day when I was young, thin and active, I could dunk on an 11" rim (6"6" tall who could reach, while standing, to 8'6" and who had a 36"- 40" vertical jump, thus I could get to 11'6" to 11'10" on a back board). Not so today when I am old, heavy and inactive.

I remember an athlete in the 1960's named Lonnie Wright. He played football for the Denver Broncos in the AFL and played basketball for the Denver Rockets of the ABA. He was 6'1" tall. Before, during and after basketball practice for the Rockets he would make some extra cash by betting others money that he could jump up and pick a quarter off of the top of the basketball backboard (which stand 13' off the floor). A person would take the bet, a ladder was used to put a quarter on the top of the backboard and Lonnie Wright would then jump up and pick the quarter off of the top of the backboard.

Lonnie's thighs were huge and he could sky better than anyone. His vertical leap had to be 50' plus to be able to do this.
  • Options
    I've been able to throw it down a few times. Most of the time I end up just finger rolling it or going with the power layup though. By the way I'm 6' 2" with our Nike Shox team shoes on and about 6'0" barefoot.
  • Options
    bifff257bifff257 Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Yes....

See my picture below.....image

PROMETHIUS88,

My story is similiar...

Then 20's 6'2" 180 LBS could dunk on a 10 foot rim
    Now 41 6'2" 225 lbs and love my chicken wings...image
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    No way-ever.
  • Options
    lol. i used to be able to touch the rim image

6'00 190lbs back in college... 220lbs now, lot more muscle, but some more flab too lol.