Home Metal Detecting
Options

What probe should I keep? (I just got my detector!) :)

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
I got my detector! image

I ordered from KellyCo and ended up getting a free probe-- an Automax Precision v4. pinpointer. I also have a very embarrassingly named VibraProbe 460. I don't need two probes--- can anyone recommend which one to keep?
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunno which to tell you to keep, but having a backup can be nice, if your luck runs like mine. I have now had three different probes go bad on me.

Besides, if you hunt with a probless partner, having a "loaner" will save you the hassle of having your friend bum your probe from you every five minutes.

If you decide to part with one and make up your mind which one, consider me in the market for an extra. My inline Sun-Ray for my GTI-2500 is off being fixed, but I still want a second probe, so I would trade you some old coins for your extra probe if you don't want to keep two.

(PS- the list I linked to is by no means a complete rundown of my swapstock- in fact, it's less than one percent of my hoard of thousands upon thousands of little round pieces of metal...)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    I agree with Lordm, keep them both. You will eventually need the other for some reason or another. If nothing else keep it around with you just incase your hunting partner forgets his!! image
    Todd
  • Options
    The "Automax Precision v4" is NOT a strong unit. It is prone to breaking in my view.

On the other hand..The "VibraProbe 460" is strong! It is water proof to atleast 30 foot.

I have 4 hand held units and one inline probe. They all get used. The old White's Bullseye 1 gets the most use by my wife.

Backup!!!

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    LordM, are these coins you found detecting!? *gasps!*
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

<< <i>The "Automax Precision v4" is NOT a strong unit. It is prone to breaking in my view.

On the other hand..The "VibraProbe 460" is strong! It is water proof to atleast 30 foot.

>>

Thanks for the advice! (Though if I ever find myself in water 30ft deep I have more things to worry about than my probe!)
  • Options

<< <i> LordM, are these coins you found detecting!? *gasps!* >>

Huh.

I wish I could find stuff like that detecting. I would never sell it. I never sell my dug coins. These are bought.

I did sell a 1789-A French Guiana (Colony of Cayenne) 2-sous piece off that list, which was a nondug counterpart to one I did find here. The one I dug was the same date and everything, but nowhere near as nice as the nondug one I sold. I still have my dug one, naturally.

Lemme know if you wanna part with a spare probe for some coins. I'm cash-broke but coin-heavy at the moment. Going off to a show in Macon tomorrow- I have $101 in my pocket but only half a tank of gas in my big van, and a four-hour round trip to my carpool buddy's house. This means that by the time gas and food is figured in, I will be at a coin show with a budget of barely over twenty bucks, if I'm lucky. That'll be a first. I'm going for the social networking and some junkbox diving, though. If I think of it as a treasure hunt, it should still be fun, even on a pitiful budget.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I would definetly keep it as a backup. The only pinpointer I had broke (V4) and I sure do need another one. I'm just waiting on my income taxes and I plan on getting another one(not sure which one yet)

Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I bought the Cayenne coin.. just because I like hot peppers,... It is a neat coin to add to the "HOT" memorabilia... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Hard for me to say...I never used a probe until just last year....I have a Tinytec and it seems ok...Wish I could tell you about the others...
  • Options

Guys, I gotta ask... what are you doing to these probes to make them not work anymore?

Is the metal detecting that hard on them, or are they just not built very well?

I'm getting a free Automax Precision v4 with my Kellyco detector as well, and you already have me thinking about picking up another pin pointer for backup... lol.
  • Options
    If you use them like they are supposed to be used...they'll probably last a long time...but most of us, at some point, will try to pry something up, and break it..
  • Options
    Lets see...
    The "Automax Precision V 4" has a switch AND a knob that are able to collect dirt and water!!!

The Bullseye 1 has a push button with rubber boot cover--rubber gives way and dirt and water can AND WILL get in.

The Bullseye 2 has a knob and a switch that are able to collect dirt and water!!!

At times we tend to try and drag or push the probe in the dirt.. NOT GOOD.

Once you use the probe, you will not want to be without one!

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    I like the DX-1... fantastic probe. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>I like the DX-1... fantastic probe. Cheers, RickO >>

And it will always be with the detector!!!

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    Speeking of probes, what is a good probe I can pick up for a good price, I really cant go expensive.

Jim

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

• Options
    Define expensive... the term is relative to the wallet. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    http://www.kellycodetectors.com/vibra/vibra_570.htm

$129.00

Communicates with vibration - The Vibra-Probe 570 signals with pulses of vibration when a target is located. It replaces the need for buzzers that can be difficult to hear, especially when wearing headphones from a primary detector.

Pulse Induction (PI) - This technology allows hunting at the beach in salt water or in any type of soil, including black sand.

Detection depth stability - New advanced circuitry maintains the unit’s detection distance throughout the life of the battery.

True target direction - The Vibra-Probe 570 detects at the tip only, not along the shaft, enabling precision target pinpointing.

Target distancing - The pulses of vibration will continue to increase in quantity as the probe tip gets closer to the target.

Automatic tuning - The state of the art microprocessor controlled design requires no adjustments of any kind.

Automatic On/Off - No push button switches. The Vibra-Probe 570 automatically turns on when pointed upward and automatically turns off one minute after last pulse.

Waterproof - Unique sealed design allows the Vibra-Probe to be used in the rain, mud, or under water to a depth of 30 feet.

Low battery indicator - Built in low battery sensor alerts you when the battery is low and needs replacing.

Easy battery installation - The standard nine-volt battery is quickly changed without tools. Simply rotate the rear knob and pull out the compression seal to access the battery compartment.

Solid construction - The Vibra-Tector’s rugged sealed construction and stainless steel hardware are built to last.

Holster - Includes belt mountable holster for easy carrying.

Warranty - 1 Year.

Made in the USA
    **********************************************************************************
    http://www.sunraydetector.com/

Check for your make of detector.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Guys, I gotta ask... what are you doing to these probes to make them not work anymore?

Is the metal detecting that hard on them, or are they just not built very well? >>

Well, in the case of the Tinytecs I've had go bad on me, the answer is multiple. First of all, the probes DO take some abuse, but they can usually handle it, if one does not use them for prying stuff up, as previously mentioned. I try not to do that. Secondly, I have a nasty habit of leaving my equipment in the car (hey, I wanna have it ready wherever I go, right?), but in south Georgia in summertime, where the temps inside a closed vehicle can go to 130 degrees or so, it is not a good idea and probably not good on the electronics. I don't know if that contributed to their early demise or not. I suspect not in two of my three dead probes, but it might have had something to do with the death of one of them. Furthermore, the Tinytecs are NOT built that well, component-wise; I have had troubles with the buzzers on them getting inaudible over time and sand getting into the unit at times. But they are fine for an inexpensive probe, and some of the problems I had with my first one were resolved in later models. I think they offer a pretty good warranty now and they've definitely improved. For a less-expensive probe, they're worth the money, and I got a few years out of one of mine before it quit. Definitely got my money's worth out of them.