Home Metal Detecting
Options

What is this?

A friend of mine found this in the dirt in Wisconson a couple weeks ago. Do any of you know what kind of token this is? It weighs 7.1g and is 24.5mm in diameter.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Mark
Mark

Comments

• Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Its a coin or token!!! image Sorry couldn't resist!
    Todd
  • Options
    you might want to post it in the world coin forum. You'd probably get a quicker response
  • Options
    How did he get through all the snow?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, usually I am really good at the "guess this mystery coin" game. Even with tokens, sometimes.

Gotta say, you have me stumped on this one, though.

I can't even tell if the "lettering" to the left of the bust is real foreign lettering (in Arabic or some other alphabet), of if it's pure gibberish.

The "date" to the right almost looks like it says "1961", but again, it could be blobby numerals in another numeric system, or it could, like I said before, just be gibberish.

The ship on the reverse resembles that on some pre-confederation Canadian tokens of the early 1800s, like the "Ships, Colonies, and Commerce" issues, but it's not the same. I also get the feeling this is much more modern than that, and I doubt it would date before the 20th century.

It has a soft, cast-rather-than-struck look to it.

<< <i>Its a coin or token!!! >>

OK, I can narrow it down a tiny bit further. It is not a coin. It is a token or medal or charm of some sort.

There. That's all I can say, I'm afraid.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the input. The characters do no look like any language. It has a "modern" feel to it.

Mark
    Mark
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strange one indeed... I have no clue on this one... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    What part of Wisconsin? Are we talking Lake Michigan area, Lake Superior area, Mississippi River area or smack dab in the middle of a corn field?

Is that the bust of a King with a crown and one of those flat frilly things they wore around their necks?
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    looks like a carnival token
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    I know this sounds silly, but have you tried reading the charactors either upside down of from the side? Maybe even hold it to a mirror. The charactors on the right, when viewed upside down, look like 1761. Just a thought! Mary
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    It looks like it might be a commemorative token of Christopher Columbus and the Mayflower.
  • Options
    MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    I think it was found in the middle of Wisconson. I do not believe it was anywhere near the lake.

Mark
    Mark