Home Metal Detecting
Options

Any White's users here?

I'm contemplating adding another detector to my arsenal here soon and I'm thinking about a White's model. When my tax refund comes in (I'm hoping it's a healthy refund this year since I had 5 months tax-free time in the sands of Iraq this past summer) I'm going to seriously look at either a DFX, XLT or MXT. Can some of you White's users give some honest feedback? I know that all detector reviews NEVER EVER bad mouth a detector and I'm wanting honest info from the people who own them. I know a few White's users and they stand by their machines. They LOVE them.

Are they a good detector on the beach? (I don't currently live within driving distance of a beach, but hopefully next year when I retire from the military, I'll be near a beach.

How does the machine manage with relics?

I've heard they have a fairly steep learning curve. I can completely understand that as far as top end machines go, BUT how hard is it to "learn" the machine?

I guess I'm looking for some versatility to my arsenal and I think the White's machines provide me the best bang for my buck as far as non Garrett machines go.

One last question--What is normally the best deal on these different models from Kellyco? DFX, XLT and the MXT?

Thanks all,

Speer34

imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    After many useful years my White's 5900 Di developed some technical issues. The machine is around 20 years old. I decided to send it off to get fixed at the Electronics repair shop up Illinois way.

For what it's worth...... I'd say White's has a really good track record. I've never owned anything else, so I can't elaborate.

WTB: Barber Quarters XF

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the White's DFX.... fantastic machine... yes, a learning curve, but get 'Digging Deeper with the DFX' by Jeff Foster... a great book and will help anyone flatten the learning curve. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Although I'm new to metal detecting, I have a White's DFX. I can say that it is atruly a remarkable machine. This is the FIRST detector that I have owned and eventhough there is a HUGE learning curve for me I have found that I have been able to use the machine with no problems.
    Todd
  • Options
    I use White's.
    In 1990 I got a top of the line White's Eagle II SL90--Still working fine!

I just had to have a White's DFX around 3 years ago! Works just fine!

Now, my wife and I go out and hunt side by side and find stuff. Both detectors are close in abilities.

We go to the salt beach and to the hill tops. They both work fine.

The DFX goes a little deeper and is lighter in weight. I have a BigFOOT coil on each unit.

If I get into an old area with trash...I put on a small coil.

I use the same program for all my huntings.

Good Luck
    Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    I've used several White's machines over the years. From an original Coinmaster to currently an MXT.

G Man
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first "real" detector was a White's, but that was an old TR-discriminator unit back in 1981 or '82. We've come a long way since then. image

(It was a pretty good machine for the era, though.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    White's Coinmaster Classic II - I've had this detector for about 15 years and it still works great. I don't go out very often with it, but it never let me down yet. I've used it around my home here in Georgia and on the beaches of the Florida Panhandle. I hear the beep and start diggin'!
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a lot of fun with my older brother's MXT last summer-- it seemed like a great detector!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I think my XLT is about as "turn-on-and-go" as a machine can get. *If* you want to tweak the machine to find it's discrimination limits, it can do amazing things.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    I bought an Eagle Spectrum new ,,and its still the machine I use ,,when it dies if it ever does ,,I will replace it with another whites .
    Touch Not The Cat Bot A Glove !!

Always Looking for Raw Proof Lincoln Cents !!
  • Options
    I own a White's Prism IV. Since I have never tried anything else I can't really compare it to anything but I have had no complaints.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input guys. I'm still contemplating adding the DFX to my list of detectors. I should know within the next week or so if I'm going to go ahead and get it. If I do, I'm looking at possibly getting a couple of extra coils with it. A 5" Excelerator and the 18" Excelerator. I'm still up in the air on those as well. Everything depends on what my wife saysimage
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    I have a brand new Whites MXT....had it out once at schoolyard across street, 76 cents and a button 1st time out. I hope to start using it more in Feb when personal time restraints allow
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08