Home Sports Talk

A Quick Observation About This Board...

JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
A quick observation about this board. This is designated the "Sports Talk" Forum. But in reality, it might as well be designated the Baseball and Football Forum because, well, those appear to be the only sports discussed here. Really, there's nary a thread about the NBA, NHL, NCAA Basketball, Golf, etc. And that's neither good nor bad because, for me, I don't care about those sports (well, except Tiger Woods). But I guess the deeper question is, does no one here care about those sports? Or rather, does no one care to TALK about those sports? I mean, if we are not going to talk about those sports when they are IN SEASON, we're certainly not going to talk about them during the off-season. But like I said, that's neither good nor bad because I don't care about those sports either.

/s/ JackWESQ

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've tried to have serious discussions on women's professional topless mud wrestling, but nobody here seems to care.
  • The NHL All-Star game is this weekend! That includes the NHL All-Star Trading Card and Memorabilia Show at the CNN Center Saturday and Sunday.....presented by Upper Deck. The Stanley Cup is also on display.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, I'm trying . . . . there is a Celtics and a Bruins thread buried down there somewhere.

And UConn beat Marquette -- Whoo Hoo!!!
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The NHL All-Star game is this weekend! That includes the NHL All-Star Trading Card and Memorabilia Show at the CNN Center Saturday and Sunday.....presented by Upper Deck. The Stanley Cup is also on display. >>

And Sid the Kid is hurt. image
  • Too many sports, not enough time or interest to follow everything.

NHL. I don't think I could name more than 3 players off the top of my head.

NCAA basketball - so many teams, so many players. About all I can keep up with is how Michigan State is doing.

NBA. Unless there is a controversy who can get interested in the regular season and playoffs? It goes on for just so long.

Golf - begins and ends with Tiger. Everybody else is secondary.
  • Jack

I think what you see is a representation of the Sports World in the US - we love our football and baseball (both ratings are still climbing) while basketball is falling and hockey well is that still on TV?

Golf is Tiger, and any one player sport (like tennis) were one guy dominates gets old.
    Nascar - seems like a lot of people watch it and follow it just not here
    Boxing - dead! replaced by MMA (just not mainstream yet)
    Soccer - outside US huge - here not so much
    Wrestling - refer to Boxing

"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind". - Gandhi
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    This forum is for the people, by the people.

If more enjoyed discussing the NBA, golf, or even darts, there would be more threads about these topics.

But alas, no one really gives a darn about them, therefore they are rarely discussed here.

PS Spring Training is right around the corner!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the spirit of this thread...

So, did anyone catch the Pro Bowlers Tour Finals on Sunday? Mike Scroggins, the only lefty on the show, won all four matches to move from the number 5 seed and win the tournament!

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Well, I think there's a reason. The NBA jumped the shark a long time ago, and the NHL committed suicide a few years ago. Nobody cares about NCAA hoops until March Madness, and the audience for golf and tennis is pretty limited. I like to talk about tennis but I realize 98% of people don't.

Just thank yourself no one is coming on here and talking NASCAR.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Here are the problems and why nobody talks about these mentioned sports

NBA - Slow, boring, talentless and nobody watches the regular season enough to talk about it. You also wonder if the players are going to pull out guns and cap each other on the flagrant fouls.

NHL - It's never on, so you can't talk about stuff you don't see. Post game interviews don't work well either when you're trying to figure out their broken English.

NCAA - March Madness tournament is everything for this sport. You'll see talk of it when the tournament starts.

NASCAR - I'll give you an example........"hey, did you see Little E's pit on lap 37. He came in too fast and was given a 15 second penalty. Then he fell behind Gordon by a half lap, but by lap 683 he was back on top. I sat down to watch the prerace at 11am and didn't get back out of my seat until the race ended at 6:45pm. The guy in 23rd place blew out a tire and they finished under caution. The excitement was too great that I almost P'd myself. Man, I'm tellin' ya, that's why it's the most watched sport in these United States!!"

Tennis - It's like throwing a tennis ball, having your dog fetch it and bring it back to you. After about ten throws it gets old. I only turn the female tennis on to get a closeup shot of the newest female Russians between shots.

Golf - Fun to play, boring to watch. The media only concentrates on Tiger, so our interest in anyone else is not there. The PGA tour is shooing itself in the foot when they only concentrate on one player......example......Lebron James and the NBA.

Boxing - It's out there, you just have to find it. Not a mainstream sport anyway. The only fun stuff is the heavyweights and you can't get interested when they fight once a year. The little guys have skills, but you just can't take it seriously when you know they are 5' 3" and weigh 110lbs.

MMA - Almost too brutal......more than boxing. When they kick it's fun to watch, but once they hump each other on the ground, it loses interest for me. Can the fans in attendance even see the fight while they are on the ground? It's getting huge in popularity, but I think it will fade when the first guy doesn't wake up after the rear naked choke!

Bowling - aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

World's Strongest Man - I still don't believe it to be real. Sure they are strong, but when you strap a car frame over your shoulder and walk 50 feet, it looks a bit odd.

Olympic Sports - Bob Costas has turned all of us off to anything Olympic. Thanks Bob! I used to enjoy Speed Skating.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NCAA basketball- I think Kansas has a great shot this year to win it all. They've had some injuries but are still undefeated, and just beat Missouri on the road, which is tough to do in the Big Twelve.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    + 1 for curling, the greatest sport ever invented on ice.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • If you take in to account that sports cards are what made us post here to begin with, and baseball and football are the two most popularly collected sports, it makes sense, though i would think NBA woould get a little more love here.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey

• << <i>If you take in to account that sports cards are what made us post here to begin with, and baseball and football are the two most popularly collected sports, it makes sense, though i would think NBA woould get a little more love here. >>

When Michael Jordan retired the sport began to slip in popularity and it hasen't stopped. There are a lot of good players but they
    all seem kind of interchangeable. There is no really big superstar anymore in the NBA.
  • JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    I love golf,tennis, and basketball. None of those are rarely ever discussed here. I collect alot of all three too. There are other boards I go to and discuss these sports and collecting. I enjoy to come here for baseball and football. edit to add: If anyone cares Sharapova is looking good in her match agaisnt Justine Henna. Leading thus far 1-0 in the match.

<< <i>I've tried to have serious discussions on women's professional topless mud wrestling, but nobody here seems to care. >>

See what I mean? Not a single responce. Then I guess there's no use discussing women's professional nude mud wrestling either.
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Okay here's a hockey post:
    Did anyone see that hit Malkin made on Ovechkin (sp) last night? WOW!
  • The problem with NCAA sports on these boards are there too many teams / not enough people here. What fuels most threads are fans of competing teams and with only 30-something pro teams it happens a lot more often.

You want to start a non-football non-baseball thread? I'll help you get started, I bumped the last time golf was brought up image

<< <i>

<< <i>I've tried to have serious discussions on women's professional topless mud wrestling, but nobody here seems to care. >>

See what I mean? Not a single responce. Then I guess there's no use discussing women's professional nude mud wrestling either. >>

<< <i>The problem with NCAA sports on these boards are there too many teams / not enough people here. What fuels most threads are fans of competing teams and with only 30-something pro teams it happens a lot more often.

You want to start a non-football non-baseball thread? I'll help you get started, I bumped the last time golf was brought up image

<< <i>

See what I mean? Not a single responce. Then I guess there's no use discussing women's professional nude mud wrestling either. >>

image >>

No wonder there's no discussion, I keep forgetting to post the pics. LOL

• Baseball: by far my favorite sport. I'll have a game on every night on tv in the backgroun (espn, NESN or TBS) from may till september. Love going to games, love playing softball. Nothing comes close. I cant wait for spring! ill have 6-7 fantasy teams going and ill crunch stats and look at box scores endlessly.

Football: I rarely watch during the regular season, but the Playoffs are exciting. When i played fantasy football i paid closer attention

NBA. boring. i much prefer the run and gun, high scoring days....low scoring/defense = snoozefest. The Celtics are the ONLY local sports team i really cheer for (thanks to Bird, Parris and the

Tennis: I enjoy playing and watching, very intense sport, skill and endurance and confidence are very appealing aspects. Unfortunately I lack "skill" lol i have good endurance and plenty of misplaced confidence :0)

Hockey and Soccer: zzzz sorry, did i fall asleep? lol.

Bowling, Duckpins: Love it, and i'll watch Candlepins for cash on TV image Infinitely more challenging than "Tenpin" (large ball) bowling, never been a 300 game, i like the challenge, plus I bowled once on TV when I was a jr. bowler image (no, its not up on YouTube, not yet at least)

• I happen to be a big fan of European Pro Cycling. It's out of season now, but I watch all the big races on Vs.
  • How many sports does a devoted sports fan follow? Typically maybe three or four

How many sports are in existence? Hundreds

Makes it pretty tough to find fans with overlapping interests in a general sports discussion forum
    Tom
  • Im not gonna lie, i got in to the last World Cup.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I happen to be a big fan of European Pro Cycling. It's out of season now, but I watch all the big races on Vs. >>

Pro cycling is great to follow. Everytime I bring it up it gets shut down rapidly because of all the doping scandals. But still some entertaining events.

Lot's of the other minor sports just don't get the air time here that they once did.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I LOVE watching Womens Tennis..........................

Payers that is. image No need to discuss, just looking is good enough for me!
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    There's a good tennis thread on this board about Ana Ivanovic.

At least I think it's about tennis.
    Capecards
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    There are lots of good boards to talk hockey, soccer and cycling. Figuring out how to watch these events can be a hobby of it's own.
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    Boxing - dead! replaced by MMA (just not mainstream yet)
    truedat,boxing sucks now compared to what it used to be, i like wathing guys get their teeth kicked out and arms broken in a real sport, definatly not for the meek,
    walking, now there a sport, even got its own magazineimage
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    There have been world cup soccer threads when that's in season.

There are people interested in tennis on here, but just not that many where a serious thread can thrive. It seems that most of us just like to watch female tennis players--probably one of the few times when men side over to the female division of a sport as opposed to the male counterpart.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee