Home Metal Detecting
Options

Native Gold

Do any of you detect for native nugets anywhere? Are there still finds like that to be had? Just curios. I've always had the treasure hunter and gold bug side, but never cultivated either.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are there still nuggets to be found? Why, yes- absolutely.

Have I done it? No, not me, personally. I had a friend who did it when I lived in Western North Carolina.

It looked like a lot of work to me, slogging around as he did, carrying a detector through muddy streams over slippery rocks, sifting out every signal, finding lots of fishing sinkers and buckshot and tiny things like tennis shoe eyelets. But he showed me one nice little nugget he found. I would imagine one nugget like that pays for a lot of time spent chasing down tiny trash targets.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    thars gold in them thar hills !...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    I have not done it with my metal detector but I do use my gold pan quite a bit. I am a bit blessed in my location when it comes to gold. Rowan, Cabarrus, Stanly, and Mecklenburg Counties (All in a bunch in NC) are the largest producers of Gold on the East Coast. There are over 300 mines in this area, probably the most famous is Reed's Gold mine in Gold Hill, NC. It's about 10 minutes from my house. There is a big myth that you have to gold nugget hunt near water.......wrong!!! Take your detector and walk through fields, woods, anywhere.... Gold can be found in just about any locale, not just water. It takes some patience, of course, but it's just as fun as looking for coins...and a heck more profitable! If you want to see someone in action looking for gold then check out this Treasure Hunting America video Link
    Todd
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely there are still nuggets out there... I have two I found in AZ.... Cheers, RickO