Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Card show pickups this weekend. *Back from PSA and scans added*

I was at a card show today in the NYC area, and picked up 5 of the 1975 Hostess full panels #20 with Nolan Ryan (none cut yet), and a complete box #20 with with Ryan (fully intact). I have scanned 1 of the 5 identical uncut panels for you all to see, and I was under the impression that cutting it with all 3 players still attached to each other was the way to go, but after checking VCP, the 3 card panel (cut properly) averages only $35.00 in PSA 10, but the Nolan Ryan cut all alone in PSA 10 averages $150.00 Let me know some of your thoughts on all that. Here is a scan of 1 of the panels.

Comments

• Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    That surprises me, actually. Getting a nice panel seems much more difficult than the single hand-cut cards.

BTW, those are nice looking panels. I'd be tempted to keep a couple of them uncut like that just for the heck of it.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Nick

Nice p/u. I assume you went to the Westchester show? I have no idea why a full panle is worth less then the single card? Perhaps it is harder to get the Ryan into a 10 holder?

You do know that PSA wants to see the dotted line so if you do cut it make sure you leave plenty of that. back in the 80's when I would do cut outs I always tried to cut on the line. Little did I know that years later the standard would be adopted and the dotted lines had to be there.

Again, great Pick up!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Hi Nick

nice cards
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve

Great points, and I had heard that about the dotted lines already, so I practiced with the worst panel that isnt grade-able because of light creasing on all 3 cards, and here is what I achieved. Let me know if I did ok with the dotted area.

• Options
  • Options
    Nick,

What show was this? On Staten Island or what?

Giovanni
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    looks good - very nice "eye appeal" - what did you use to cut them?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>Nick,

Giovanni >>

No Gio, it was in Westchester county at the county center.
  • Options
    Nick

looks good to me. nice centering, and the line is well established. Now all you have to do is hope you get a 10 and not a 9? What do 9's go for? I also see that you got panels w/o scratches on them. Those types of cards are notorious for that.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ohhh I think i may know why the ryan alone goes for more then the whole panel, Ryan collectors want the single.

That is what I think anyway.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Nick,

Giovanni >>

No Gio, it was in Westchester county at the county center. >>

To far for me right now, can't drive to long image

Don't they have any on Staten Island anymore?

Giovanni
  • Options

<< <i>looks good - very nice "eye appeal" - what did you use to cut them? >>

Just scissors on those 3 since this panel was creased anyway, but I will have to look into where I can bring the others to be cut more professionally because I intend on submitting them.
  • Options

<< <i>Nick

looks good to me. nice centering, and the line is well established. Now all you have to do is hope you get a 10 and not a 9? What do 9's go for? I also see that you got panels w/o scratches on them. Those types of cards are notorious for that.

Steve >>

The one I cut was scratched slightly and had light creasing, but the other 4 are crystal clear and shiny front and back.

<< <i>What do 9's go for? >>

PSA 9's of the Ryan all alone average $20
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Are the backs all the same? I have seen variations... just curious...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>Are the backs all the same? I have seen variations... just curious... >>

Backs are all the same.
  • Options
    Nick

you can buy a nice cutter at staples or that kind of place. i am not talking about the kind with the arm that swings down and cuts. they have some nice ones on the market now. I forget the name.

I;m sure someone here knows it. They are flat with a ruler on the side and the razor slides up and down.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nick:

Did you get a grade on the 62 checklist yet? Nice Ryan(s).
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

<< <i>Nick:

Did you get a grade on the 62 checklist yet? Nice Ryan(s). >>

Mike it should have popped on Thursday (day 5) or Friday (day 6) because I did the $13/5 day service, but im hoping Monday if they are open for the holiday.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice cards.

If you are expecting your 5 day sub to pop anytime soon ... I would suggest buying a rocking chair. These are taking much longer.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options

<< <i>Nice cards.

If you are expecting your 5 day sub to pop anytime soon ... I would suggest buying a rocking chair. These are taking much longer. >>

I'm in no rush. It will when it will.
  • Options
    Of the 5 1975 Hostess Nolan Ryan panels I have (im leaving the full box whole) I cut two Ryans into single cards and sent them to PSA. One was graded a 9 and the other was graded a 10. I saw no difference in the two, but I will post the scans here when they arrive from PSA.
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    nam.. congrats on the grades... I have a bunch of mantle / maris post cards... some actually for sale on the b/s/t board...
    and I have received 1... 9.. and the rest 8's and I couldn't tell the difference between those either.. I also had one come back a random 5??? with no creases or wrinkes?? the 9 is fairly "cheap" but the 10 will bring some nice cake.. cant wait to see the pics..
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yahtzee!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Nick, If they have creases you better soak them.image
  • Options
    Here they are:

• Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Great work Nick! Those are very cool.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Looks like if you trim a little more off the right border on the PSA 9, you'll get it up to a PSA 10. (sounds kinda dirty, doesn't it?)
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Thanks Ron.

That might be the plan digicat. image
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    How did the 30 year old Twinkies taste? I know it's a little more expensive, but you might want to stop buying your groceries at the flea market and maybe give the supermarket a shot.
  • Options
    They were King Dons, not Twinkies. Ignoramus.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job on those Nick. Stupid question but does these grades mean you have gotten a big return on your investment? A psa 10 Ryan must command some decent money...
  • Options
    Paul, the PSA 9's were averaging about $20, but the last one sold for $55.56 and the PSA 10's average about $167, but one sold for $306.99 in back November.

Considering that I paid $10 per panel (there were 5 panels), and $20 for the full intact box, I should do OK if the market for these continues as is.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats awesome, good for you and again nice work.
  • Options
    King Don? what is that some type of bogus Ring Ding?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Good lord, will this thread die already?
  • Options
    Take it up with Hostess Steve. lol

• Options
    Hostess had to give away cards for people to buy them. image

I brought King Dons to school one day and at recess the school yard bully
    wouldn't even take them.

The real deal was Ring Ding.

Good for you.