Home Metal Detecting

"He found a penny"

This is one of my favorite stories, and it only includes two pennies.

I live two blocks from a pretty good sized lake in Colorado. Across the lake is a very large park and a beach. The beach was very crowded this particular day, so I decided to detect in the grass that borders the beach. As I was progressing along by a bench, a little boy about 4-5 years old came up to me and asked: "What cha doin mister?" I explained what metal detecting was and continued on. I am acquainted enough with my machine that I know immediately when I come across a zinc penny. I went a few more steps and heard that familiar zinc penny sound. I stooped and located it and he asked, "What cha find mister?" I told him what it was and at the top of his lungs, he hollered to no one in particular, "He found a penny!" About half the beach population turned around to look and see what was going on. It was rather embarrassing. I went a few more steps and located another zinc cent. As I picked it up, I heard: "What cha find this time mister?" I said "It's just another penny." He screamed even louder: "He found another penny!" Course, most of the beach folks turned around again. His parents were at a picnic table not too far away and told him to get over there and leave that man alone. "Ok, I'll be right there." As he turned around to leave he stated: "Boy mister, that detecting thing must really have good eyes to see those pennies through the grass." I still chuckle when I think of him. Kids, don't "cha" just love them?

Comments

• I love the story. I can just imagine what it felt like with everyone turning around looking at you. Kids can tend to get excited when they see things come out of the ground.

Your story reminds me of a story, but I'll start my own thread--don't want to hijack yours!!!!

Speer34

imageimageimage
  • speer34.....
    It is perfectly ok to reply to any thread I post. I am finding this to be a very interesting place to visit. I am feeling comfortable here now. I wish I was going with my wife tomorrow. She is leaving for Hawaii for two weeks. Wouldn't I just love to check out some beaches over there? I imagine the beaches are gone over pretty good on a daily basis.
  • pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    These days, you're lucky the mother didn't see her poor innocent son talking to a strange male and come over and maced you.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story... kids are really interesting when they gather around MD'rs....always full of questions... Cheers, RickO