Home Metal Detecting

Coin collecting

Hello all,

I know this is a metal-detecting forum, but I believe I'll get better answers more quickly from the collectors among us than elsewhere. I'm in the process of putting a couple of type sets together. What do you think about including lower-grade absolute rare coins whenever possible? For instance, I just bought a 38-D Walker graded by PCGS at XF-20. I'm also buying coins that I find particularly attractive regardless of rarity. Mostly toned coins... Any input is appreciated muchly...

Ward
If it wiggles, it ain't goin' in my salad.

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with putting together the set regardless of grade... you can always upgrade (if you choose) at your leisure. I just like completing the series/set .... Cheers, RickO
  • I am a type collector, and I like my set to have some conformity in the way it looks with the coins displayed next to one another. In other words, I don't want a VF20 coin next to an MS65 coin. That would make the VF coin look worse than it would if displayed by itself. A gradual decline in grade as my collection moves into the older series is fine, but a vast difference in grades between a coin and the one next to it just makes a set look "thrown together" in a hodge-podge fashion.

Bob
  • ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    If I put a "set" together I do not buy slabbed coins. All my albums are raw coins. I prefer them this way.
    Todd
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assembling a set is a personal thing.... Bob prefers uniform grades... to me, it does not really matter. Some people go for 'best in class'... all up to the collector - there is no right or wrong. Be happy. Cheers, RickO