Home U.S. Coin Forum

I'm just sick, lost 13 proof sets '84 - '88

I'm just sick. I lost 13 total sets due to some unknown event. Every one has the penny corroded. In some of them, not only is the penny shot, but some of the other coins have either mold, mildew or something. It almost looks like cardboard powder. I'm not sure if it's just particles on the coins or if it's attached to the surface, but the pennies are total losses. I've owned these sets since day one, and all the sets have been stored the same, in the same place. I have all my sets together which date from '68 to '97 and only the '84 to '88 sets where affected. I'm not sure if they had a problem from the mint or not.

I had 4 sets of each year and only 1 '84, '85 and '87 made it. All 4 of my '88's where totaled, but all 4 of my '86's where ok. I was in the process of selling some sets and leave myself with 2 from each year, one for me, and one for my daughter. Guess I'll be hunting for 1 '84, '85 and '87 set, and 2 '88's.

The mint packaging was intact. I'm going to take an affected one to my local coin shop (I trust him), and see if I should crack the remaining coins out, or just leave them in there. Not sure if the problem with spread or not.

*cry*

Comments

• tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    It happens. I think it's probably due to moisture. If you look around, there are some corroded 1990 no S proof cents with that same problem. Check the Heritage auction archives, they should have at least one.

Just trying to make you feel better...some have had it worse...
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is fairly common with the zincolns and especially for the '82-'89 or '90.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Yeah, it could be worse, but it's still sickening to see a coin in your care be destroyed.
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    I just can't believe the Mint didn't continue the bronze cent in the Proof sets.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You gotta remember, the mint used an acidic cardboard holder inside those sets during those years. Once any type of moisture entered in those sets, the coins will see damaging effects.
  • GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    Don't boo hoo like a baby over your 13 pennies, find them and buy them off eBay add then to your sets and move on. Geez!!!
    I lost all of my 1969-D mint sets a few years back. These were picked out of thousands
    of original sets. About 25 of them got tarnish on all the cu/ ni coins and most of the sil-
    ver and even the copper.

I can feel your pain.
    Tempus fugit.
  • GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    You are kidding aren't you. Pain? Maybe eye strain. More boo hoos.

<< <i>You are kidding aren't you. Pain? Maybe eye strain. More boo hoos. >>

If you cared about 1969-D mint sets you'd feel the pain too.

Try finding a set with all gems in it and then get back to me.
    Tempus fugit.
  • MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like humidity.
  • MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    This seems pertinent

Also important is the section below about "Other Degradative Materials"

• << <i>Don't boo hoo like a baby over your 13 pennies, find them and buy them off eBay add then to your sets and move on. Geez!!! >>

WOW!image

• << <i>Don't boo hoo like a baby over your 13 pennies, find them and buy them off eBay add then to your sets and move on. Geez!!! >>

<< <i>You are kidding aren't you? Pain? Maybe eye strain. More boo hoos. >>

Can't you just picture Griv in sensitivity training, having to listen to something like this.......

"Sensitivity to the circumstances and feelings of others is the cornerstone of human relationships.
    The seasons of sunshine and joy and alternately the seasons of cold and suffering spare no mortal
    the desperate need for caring and understanding from his fellow human beings.......Compassion and
    sensitivity
    to others flows from the awareness that all of us share the same history and fate - indeed,
    that our destinies are intertwined. Whatever happens to one of us must affect the other. Understanding
    this reality mandates not only participation and empathy in times of hardship, but gives rise to a sense
    of joy and delight in the good fortune of our fellow travelers in life's journey."

.................Alright, maybe that's not going to happen anytime soon, but it would be funny as hell!
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't boo hoo like a baby over your 13 pennies, find them and buy them off eBay add then to your sets and move on. Geez!!!image >>

A bit harsh but good advice nevertheless. Another option is to sell all the sets on eBay (with full disclosure naturally) and then move on.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• Where's the post from Marty or Russ that had the ugliest coin??? I would recommend you looking at that one and see if you can beat their (whoever) coin on the grand scale.

Sorry for the loss though....these are really easy sets to come by and don't have any premium yet. List your sets on ebay as a whole and take the cash, take the time to look through sets at B&M's.....
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,768 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just can't believe the Mint didn't continue the bronze cent in the Proof sets. >>

I never thought about it, but Frank is right. Considering the premium the mint charges, bronze cents shouldn't be a stretch.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Don't boo hoo like a baby over your 13 pennies, find them and buy them off eBay add then to your sets and move on. Geez!!! >>

WOW!image >>

I'm sure Moonbiter hadn't thought of that...I wouldn't have. Great idea!
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a nasty surprise.. sorry to hear of the loss. I would review the storage conditions - and based on above information (i.e. acid cardboard, humidity etc) I recommend you change the storage to avoid future losses. Add dehumidification measures, vacuum seal the sets etc... Cheers, RickO
  • Looks like Griv forgot to take his meds.

After getting over the initial shock, I started to think a bit more. Most these sets I got from my grandmother when she stopped collecting so they where in CA for a long time before I acquired them. She lives about a mile from the ocean and it's very humid there. I bet the contamination started there but I can't say for certain. When I received the sets I lived in MI and they where kept upstairs so there was little humidity.

The part that hurts, is these sets where given to me by my grandmother. They aren't going to be expensive to replace, but they where gifts. I will most likely crack them out and either sell the coins or just keep them around in individual containers.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm just sick. I lost 13 total sets due to some unknown event. Every one has the penny corroded. In some of them, not only is the penny shot, but some of the other coins have either mold, mildew or something. It almost looks like cardboard powder. I'm not sure if it's just particles on the coins or if it's attached to the surface, but the pennies are total losses. I've owned these sets since day one, and all the sets have been stored the same, in the same place. I have all my sets together which date from '68 to '97 and only the '84 to '88 sets where affected. I'm not sure if they had a problem from the mint or not.

I had 4 sets of each year and only 1 '84, '85 and '87 made it. All 4 of my '88's where totaled, but all 4 of my '86's where ok. I was in the process of selling some sets and leave myself with 2 from each year, one for me, and one for my daughter. Guess I'll be hunting for 1 '84, '85 and '87 set, and 2 '88's.

The mint packaging was intact. I'm going to take an affected one to my local coin shop (I trust him), and see if I should crack the remaining coins out, or just leave them in there. Not sure if the problem with spread or not.

*cry* >>

where abouts do you live? wondering if your are close to a bad environment for coins......

K S
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,768 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Most these sets I got from my grandmother when she stopped collecting so they where in CA for a long time before I acquired them. She lives about a mile from the ocean and it's very humid there. >>

That certainly wouldn't have helped. But many of these planchets were not washed properly and so corrosion of the zinc cores may be unavoidable.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • I just can't believe that a coin went bad in mint packaging !!image

that is of course sarcastic ,, mint packaging is some of the worst materials I have ever seen for long term storage ,,do yourself a favor and get rid of that crude they call packaging and replace it wth something designed to keep your coins pristene.

Oh I know the value is in the packaging ,,just like a coin that is slabbed in a TPG plastic ,,which by the way are not gas or moisture tite either .

image although for the money paid for them they should be !!
    Touch Not The Cat Bot A Glove !!

Always Looking for Raw Proof Lincoln Cents !!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file