Home Metal Detecting

Just received a metal detector. Would like some input

My grandmother gave me her old metal detector. It's a Bounty Hunter Big Bud, but it's not the pro. It's an older detector and looks like the Big Bud Pro, but it's all black, but the dials and layout look the same. I seem to have problems dialing it in to find metal objects though. I can place a coin on the floor and I'll either get a steady tone all the time, or it will miss it, or it will detect it. It's just seems flaky. Is this operator malfunction, or could the detector be shot?

Thanks

Comments

• on the floor?...that could very well be the problem...take it outside, make sure there are no signals on the section of ground you intend to test on, then drop the coin and give er a try....good luck
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • It's a concrete floor in the basement, so I'm pretty sure nothing metal is underneath it. I'll give it a go outside tomorrow and I'll try and get some pics of it tonight to post.

• << <i>It's a concrete floor in the basement, so I'm pretty sure nothing metal is underneath it. I'll give it a go outside tomorrow and I'll try and get some pics of it tonight to post. >>

Re-bar and/or metal mesh is common in slabs
  • image I forgot about that. HAHAHAHA, now I feel stupid.

• << <i>image I forgot about that. HAHAHAHA, now I feel stupid. >>

Don't feel bad, you should have seen my face the first time I went detecting with my boots on.

My Steel toed boots image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do not feel bad.. we all started new once... ask questions, have fun. Cheers, RickO
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't feel bad, you should have seen my face the first time I went detecting with my boots on.

My Steel toed bootsimage >>

Been there, done that! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.