Home Metal Detecting
Options

WANT TO GET INTO SOMETHING LIKE THIS...

I have a metal detector at my dads house from years ago. I dont think it was expensive when he bought it but I want to dig it out and try it. I've read some good spots are around old foundations and I know the best place 2 look it is deep in the woods but i've come out of there with some nice bottles. Do u think I should buy a new one or try the one I have for awhile? Thanks for the help I'm jumping over from the currency forum.
image I keep a census on Hawaii Error notes, Radars, Repeaters, Hawaii Stars (all denominations), Low serials, 6 of a kind, 7 of a kind, Canceled notes, AC blocks, ZB blocks, FC blocks, Uncut sheets and Late plates. If you have any information you would like to share please PM me. Thanks.image

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try the one you've got. It could be just fine. Once you get a feel for it, and whether or not you like the hobby enough, then you can decide whether or not to upgrade.

If there are old foundations or cellar holes in the woods where you've found old bottles, chances are there will be other metallic goodies around. However, if my experience with such sites is any indicator, be prepared for a staggering amount of rusty iron trash, as well.

A lot of it depends on the era of your cellar holes, too. If they date to before about the middle of the 1800s, then the trash metal might not be so bad- just a few nails here and there, maybe a spike or a horseshoe or two; stuff like that. If, on the other hand, they date anywhere from the late 1800s on, particularly in any part of the 20th century, then be prepared for bedsprings, cans, and all kinds of crap.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply I will post what I find later on even if its a horseshoe I hope not though. It looks like you all enjoy this alot so I think I'll have fun.
    image I keep a census on Hawaii Error notes, Radars, Repeaters, Hawaii Stars (all denominations), Low serials, 6 of a kind, 7 of a kind, Canceled notes, AC blocks, ZB blocks, FC blocks, Uncut sheets and Late plates. If you have any information you would like to share please PM me. Thanks.image
  • Options
    go get em tiger!...it is lots o fun, enjoy...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good place to start... work with it ... do a lot of hunting... ask questions here... then, if you are really hooked, look at more advanced models. Cheers, RickO