Home Metal Detecting

new to the detector

My names Tim and I was given a inexpensive metal detector for my bithday last year. I've found pocket change on the beach and a old rusted 1965 quarter in my front yard. Thats not to mention the junk. Any one have any tips on finding old places to go or tips on the best ways to search. Thanks

Comments

• kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭
    image to the board, I always look for old swimming holes or picnic areas, old sports fields etc.., someplace where people were active. image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards.... check your library for old homesteads, picnic grounds, swimming holes etc.... walk the woods and look for old stone walls (not sure where you live)... visit various treasure hunter websites... Cheers, RickO
  • ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Be sure to check your local laws before you go diggin on someone else's property. If you dig in a historically protected area the results won't be good. Oh and welcome to the board!!!
    Todd
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi, Tim. I've had two detecting buddies named Tim, now. One of them is one of our top diggers here.

The sidewalks and parks in the older parts of town have been good to me. Check with local law enforcement to see what's kosher in your town. In most cities, that strip of grass between the sidewalk and the curb is public, and legal. And often full of silver and goodies, in the older neighborhoods. Sometimes the homeowners get uptight, though, and if that happens, rather than arguing with them about how it's public property, just move along, as there are plenty of other sidewalks.

Old yards, particularly of the Victorian and older homes, are fantastic, if you can get permission.

I was lucky enough to tag along with a friend who had permission to hunt two such old Victorian house lots.

December 12th

September 30th

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Welcome aboard, Tim!

G Man
    imageimageimage
  • Welcome to the crew!
  • I'm located in Gulfport Mississippi and Thank you to everyone gor the tips.