Home Metal Detecting

Christmas in Tucson, AZ

Happy New Year, folks. It's good to be back home.

The family and I took the motorhome to Tucson for Christmas and New Years. A fun time was had by all. While there we visited the Pima Air and Space Museum. I used to live in Tucson back before marriage and family. Several times I had been out to the "Boneyard" when I worked at Davis-Monthan AFB, but never the museum. It was great seeing all those old aircraft. Here's the kid and I standing in front of a Aero Spacelines 377-SG Super Guppy that is on display.

We had every intention of vising the Kitt Peak Observatory for a night tour, but unfortunately during the winter months one has to make reservations for that 4-6 weeks in advance. Over the Christmas season it has to be booked even further in advance. Oh well, next time. Other than that we relaxed in the motorhome, read books, and watched movies. As you can see our killer Chihuahua "Cagney" is real excited. "Bogart" our other killer Chihuahua refused to have his picture taken.

Also while there I got together with a friend and did some treasure hunting. The one day we went out together the only notable find was a 10K ring with a CZ in it he found. My friend told me about a park he had hunted previously and had taken lots of silver out of. He also said it was full of old relics and such and suggested that I hit it. So off I went. I was thinking of using my Super 12 on my MXT, but when I turned my machine on it immediately overloaded. I thought maybe it was a bad connection at the control box, but it wasn't. Something went wrong with it. image So instead I mounted my elliptical and did my best. Over three trips to the park I did find several goodies. Besides the thirty and one-half wheats that I found, I did manage to dig up 5 silvers. Four of the wheats are early dates - one a 1909. No mint mark or VBD image I did have fun digging them though. I also found the British regiment button that I posted earlier for ID. That was a big surprise. I still don't know how it could have gotten there. Plus I found 4 Jeffersons dated 38-41.

Some of the other relics I found were 4 Arizona tax tokens. I found three 1 mill tokens and one 5 mill.

Also, I found 2 transit tokens. The small one is from the electric trolley days and the larger when bus service came in.

I'm surprised that I didn't find more Mexican coins. I did find two. Both are from the 50s. One is a 1 centavo and the other a 25 centavo. The 25 centavo came out of the ground just as it looks because they were 30% silver back then.

The only jewelry piece I did find was a silver concho earring. I told my friend about it and his reply was, "I found the mate there". From the looks of it and the depth I'm guessing it is vintage 1940s - possibly earlier.

Here's the big picture.

That should be "Thirty". Dang these picture spell checkers don't work.

Thanks for looking.

G Man
imageimageimage

Comments