Home Metal Detecting

toy gun

this summer i was over at my cousins house and i found a toy gun, but unlike other toy guns this one was all metal and rusted, i can not find a picture online nor my camera to take a picture of it but it is about 6 inches long and all metal, the butt of the gun says colt... i have no clue on the age or the value... i have looked in books for similar looking guns but have yet to reveal one

gene2393

Comments

• Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    Are you sure it is a toy?
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • gene2393gene2393 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    no i am not sure, i only assume that it is due to its size. it may be some sort of hand single shot.... here a few pictures of it

any information would be helpful...

gene2393
  • very interesting find geno!...i don't know much about guns cept shootin partridge with my trusty 20 gauge .... someone here will know.... happy new year
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe you may have found the rusted remains of an old Colt revolver. Try some firearms forums for a Colt expert. Cheers, RickO
  • Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    Very interesting find! It looks like a top break revolver (basically the pistol would be "broken" in half on a pivot for reloading)... I'm not sure about the word Colt on it though, I am not a fire arms expert by any means but I am not familiar with any manufacturer putting its name on a weapon like that. A very cool item though and if you don't have any luck finding some info on it I will print a copy of the picture to snail mail to an old timer I know back in California who might be able to ID it for you.

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    The weight might give it away. I've found a couple toy guns and they are not as heavy as a real gun.
  • MorglanMorglan Posts: 61 ✭✭
    I'm 99% sure it's a toy.
    Need to finish my Kennedys and Jeffersons!
  • gene2393gene2393 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    any where i can find information, im still searching with no end to my questions?

• << <i>any where i can find information, im still searching with no end to my questions? >>

You might take it to:

<DIV>COLT SHERMAN GUNSMITH
    Address: 175-A, North 4300 East Rigby, ID 83442

or: <FONT size=2>Bob's Kwik Svc
    412 Farnsworth Way,
    Rigby, ID 83442-1279

Ph# <SPAN style="COLOR: rgb(62,62,62)">208-745-7029

Jerry</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Nice find. Based on all cast-iron construction, looks like a circa 1900-1920 period toy cap gun.
    Try cleaning with electrolysis and preserving with microcrystalline wax.
    Try googling "cap gun collectors" etc. to find a cap gun collector forum and post a pic there. Collectors typically can identify stuff pretty quick.
    Good luck.
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs

• << <i>Nice find. Based on all cast-iron construction, looks like a circa 1900-1920 period toy cap gun. >>

+1 on that

I've never seen a "real" Colt pistol that was all steel including the grips, plus they didn't have "COLT" embossed on them.

I've seen other cap guns with markings like that made by the Marx toy company, but I've never seen a COLT marked specimen.

Either way, it's a very cool find. image
    There's nothing in the rule book that says an elephant can't pitch.

• old cap gun? i remember i had metal cap guns when i was a kid in the 80's...