Home Metal Detecting

2007 finds

ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Long time no post!
I thought I'd put together a short summary of my finds in 2007. It was a year that started out very successfully (until around mid-July), but then I hit a major dry spell and had to do without any gold or silver for the last 5 months of the year.

Here goes:

JEWELRY

I had a great year in 2006 that I knew was going to be tough to beat. This indeed proved to be the case as well.

2007 was not brilliant as far as gold goes, but I managed to pick up three gold rings (1x14k, 2x18k).
The remarkable thing is that all three were found on land hunts. My water hunting season was shorter than last year (as I found a good silver site on land that took a lot of my hunting time), but it was quite unlucky as well.

I found a zillion junk rings in the water, but not a single gold one, and only a few silver items.
I'd say that my junk rings:good rings ratio was close to 1:1 in 2006, while it was probably around 4:1 in 2007. image

Here are my three gold rings of 2007:

The snake ring was found as part of VTH3:
Link to original thread

The two others were found close together on a single hunt:
Link to original thread

A few silver items were also found:

I also consider this pin from the Stockholm olympics 1912 to be one of my best jewelry finds of the year:

COINS

If the jewelry fell short of 2006 results, I did very well in silver coins, with 27 silver coins found. I didn't do well on really old coins, but the silvers sure kept me happy.

Here are the two big silver ones:

Swedish 2 Kronor 1880
A tough coin with only 63,000 pieces minted. At 15 grams, this is slightly heavier than a US half dollar.
Link to original thread

Finnish 2 Markkaa 1870
This type was a first for me, and was one of my targets to dig in 2007.
">Link to original thread

...and here are most of the others, many of which have been posted on the board throughout the year. Includes some tough coins, e.g. 25 penniä 1869 and 50 penniä 1872.

It's also quite remarkable that I found no less than five(!) 25 penniä coins dated 1901. The total mintage is less than a million...
You have to think that a significant share of the total mintage must have been dropped into the ground...

The 25 penniä coins can be quite tough to find due to often giving weak and iffy signals. They are rather thin, and at 1.27 grams their weight is about the same as US half dimes.
Their condition varies a lot as you can see.. image

imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

The weather has been exceptionally warm in December, and I even managed a hunt the other day (January 2008). There are signs that I have a new supply of good luck to use for 2008, as I got silvered straight away... image
I'll make a separate post shortly about that find.

Happy new year to you all and happy hunting!! image

-Z

PS. Riccar - I thought I'd kick off our traditional gold battle this year by putting gold ring finds in my signature image
You probably got me in 2007, but watch out this year! You'll get a head start though, as I'm now frozen out. Grr...
image Goldfinger....imageimage
Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great year.. even if it dried up for the last half or so.... nice ring collection.... Congratulations.. Cheers, RickO
  • Nice re-cap of a great year Erik!

Well done!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, first Goldrush reappears, and now Zot! Where have you two yetis been, anyway?

I'm glad y'all are back!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Very nice Mr. Z-man. Glad you're back (and giving me a head start is very generous of you image)

Here are my 2007 Zot pictures that just about sum up your year...

Zot cleans up =

And, Zot goes yeti (notice you left your back-pack in the bushes) =

Fun post, thanks.
    Hope 2008 is a great one for you... image