Home Metal Detecting

Probaby been asked, but what's a good pinpointer these days and whose got the best prices?

So I'm thinking I might want to get a pinpointer for use this spring, whats everyones opinions on the models out there, and most importantly, who has the best prices right now? I was leaning towards a white's bullseye2, but have read that they tend to have problems with switches wearing out and sensitivity- after messing around with 4 or 5 cheap sets of headphones this year (finally got a pair of original Garretts to use) I don't want to be repairing one after a little field use. Also have heard that the Vibra-Probe isn't to bad a model, but think I read somewhere that it interferes with some metal detectors, I am using a Garrett GTAX 1000 it that matters.

Comments

• I use a Vibra-Probe 570. It can cross talk with my detector if I get the detector too close. I just move the detector a foot or two to the side away from the hole.

The Sun-Ray probe is good but mounts on the detector. If you use more than one detector then it can be a problem :-( = $$$

The White's bullseye may be the easiest to use.

I have all the above. They each do the job.

Just get one ;-)

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    I like my V-probe. You do have to move the loop away from the hole when you use it. It becomes automatic after a while. I carry it on the back of my belt so it doesn't interfere with the detector before it turns itself off.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might try the V-probe. I've had bad luck lately with probes, with two Tinytecs dying on me now, and my expensive Sun-Ray Invader quitting after only two weeks. At least the Tinytecs were cheap and I got my money's worth out of them before they croaked.

PS- as to the cheap headphones, I've been through a bunch. I finally quit using headphones in all but the coldest weather- I just find them too uncomfortable, particularly in the steamy Southern summers here, and I always seem to get tangled up in the cord. I just run my machine at a faint threshold hum so I can tell if the sound varies at all. Some folks swear by headphones, and more power to 'em- they're probably right. I just hate wearin' the dang things most of the time. It's nice to have a pair when you don't wanna beep up the neighborhood, though.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The DX-1 and Bullseye are good products... I prefer the DX-1.... I just got a pair of 'wireless' headphones LordM... have not tried them yet. Previously I have tried the Koss earbuds.. they are comfortable and very serviceable. Cheers, RickO
    Now, wireless headphones would be kind of neat to have. That would remove one of my biggest complaints about headphones.

The earbuds remove my complaint about them being too hot to wear in spring and summer around here.

Now, if somebody would just do wireless earbuds, I might become a headphone user! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    LordM, I did get a set of wireless headphones for Christmas...will let you know how well they work out... Cheers, RickO
    Yeah, your post sorta got me to thinking about them.

• kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭

<< <i>will let you know how well they work out >>

Would definately like a follow up on how they work, the cord has been a major problem with the cheap ones I bought in past and even the better ones, either the ends wore out or came loose from the accidental stomping / tugging while hunting.
  • Wireless headphones, now that is something I will need to ask my wife for my birthday. The cord is such a hassle when working a wooded or slopping area.
    They are put out by Bluetooth and available on Kelleyco... Cheers, RickO