Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Remember the 1793 Newspaper on eBay? Here it is!!

I bought this around Thanksgiving, and finally got it imaged and merged with Photoshop. Four hours later, and the finished product:

If anyone wants a readable copy, I will try to send them out via email as a zipped file....way big, ~300 meg per picture. Shoot me a PM with your email if interested.

Happy New Year all.

Bob

Comments

• Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Cool!
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    VERY cool!!!

-Paul
  • Options
    Wow! Thanks for posting this. That paper is in great shape for it's age.
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Awesome!
  • Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>VERY cool!!!

-Paul >>

I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    That's the coolest thing I've seen in a while. Great condition. I got a kick out of those ads for the cargo ships.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Where is the cartoon page?
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    An awesome piece of history!
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    Can't really say I've ever heard of "Maffachufetts"

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options

<< <i>Can't really say I've ever heard of "Maffachufetts" >>

Haha, that's how they used to write "S". image Super sweet, Pairer. image
    aka Dan
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic! Thank you for posting it.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neato.
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    Columbian Centinel Feb. 2, 1793

I'm interefted fo fhoot me off a copy. Thif if pretty cool. I never did underftand why the ess refembled the eff in early print (e.g. "one thoufand feven hudred and feventy-fix"). Anyway, I think I could handle the much larger file. It fhould be much more readable. What'f interefting is the modren uppercase 'S' in "Saturday" and the lowercase second 's' in "Congrefs".

Thankf,

Kirk

Happy New Year!

"Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wanted to respond to the ads on the back page, but not one of the merchants has a website.

No wonder they're no longer in business! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    Those ads are too cool
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Awesome bit of numismatic history. Or should I say numifmatic hiftory.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    CgbCgb Posts: 710
    Awesome! Thanks so much for sharing. image

I would be quite interested in seeing some readable images, I'll shoot you a pm with my email. Thanks again!

Now if only I could figure out who this G. Washington fellow is... image
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I love it. So glad you were able to preserve it electronically this makes life more fun. image
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

That rocks! I collect that kind of stuff too.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nic of you to share that.

Happy New Year!!!!!!

imageimageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting... very interesting. When I was a youngster, I acquired a set of playing cards wrapped in newspaper from 1865.. I kept the cards (still have them), but threw away the newspaper image Sure wish I had it now. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somebody's been shopping at Shop at Home. They sold these about 18 months ago.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    "Very Nice"!!!!!!! Congrat's. image
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a great piece of history. Very fun to read. Even a nice article of Dick Clark.image Thanks for sharing. I'll have to get one.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    I've always wondered this... why did they use "f" in place of "s"?
  • Options
    The notice in this particular newspaper outlines the Congressional change in the size and weight for the Cents.

That's why we went to the Chain Cents from the Birch Cents.
    PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • Options
    23Pairer23Pairer Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That rocks! I collect that kind of stuff too. >>

I already have an appointment to have it framed with someone here in MadTown. The framing will cost more than the paper did, but well worth it. I was even toying with the idea of a shadow box effect, adding a Large Cent somewhere in the frame. I'll post the finished product for all to enjoy.

Bob
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool item! Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    That is a really cool newspaper, I ordered 2 newspapers from a guy named Bob hughes that I found in the back of coin world.He was a newspaper dealer and had newspapers about every major event that ever happened it seemed. I know nothing about collecting newspapers but just for the heck of it I ordered 2 newspapers from the civil war era and they were only $15 each, I still have them somewhere. I'm not sure but I think the price goes by condition of course , If its got pictures of famous people or not , or famous events. I think that would really be a great conversation piece framed in the room of your choice.
  • Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ordered several antique newspapers from Mr. Hughes back in the 90's. The Civil War newspapers are especially interesting if they contain news from the battlefields or feature maps. I purchased an 1811 newpapter (Connecticut Courant) while still in high school (1973) and I still have it. If you like history, they are fascinating to read.
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The notice in this particular newspaper outlines the Congressional change in the size and weight for the Cents.

That's why we went to the Chain Cents from the Birch Cents. >>

Well, from the Birch cent patterns and the Silver Center cent patterns.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file