Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Crossover and Regrade with Comments

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
PCGS is starting a new service level Jan 14th that includes commentary on submissions for regrade and crossover.

I think this service will add value to the coin market and the way coins trade. For the additional cost of $20, a comment in writing from professional graders as to why a coin was or wasn't reholdered or crossed should benefit the overall coin market and further solidfy the value of the coin or lack thereof.

I hope the written commentary for that additional service level will be thorough.

Good idea PCGS!

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    I like that. Then newer collectors can understand some of the whys in grading. May take some time perfecting, but it may be a really good thing for us as collectors.

• Options
    Interesting idea, I look forward to seeing how this plays out!image
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I hope it is not like the presidential review I heard about. There was a thread a while back where all they got was a piece of paper with hand scribbled notes, nothing detailed.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    $20 seems pricey to me for what I'm sure is a sentence worth of information. Probably a copy and paste job. They've looked at the coin, drop a Post It note with info in the box for free. image
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    This is a very positive step. It will act to

educate a generation of collectors as to

how and why a coin receives or does

not receive a specific grade. Well done PCGS!
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I hope it is not like the presidential review I heard about. There was a thread a while back where all they got was a piece of paper with hand scribbled notes, nothing detailed. >>

image I got a 1" x 1/2" white sticky with a few words on it when I did the presidential review "small embedded flaw in drape" That was for a PR68 image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I'll reserve judgment until I see what the comments are like. If they are very sparse and seem like boilerplate, I'll think it's nothing but a money grab. If it's more detailed and specific to the coin, I'll think it's a good service...*and* a money grab. image
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    mo money mo money mo money mo money

I have no comment on the subject other than the little guy just gets swept under table even further. So much for nurturing (sic) a YN or those new and on a smaller budget.

mo money mo money mo money
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    20 Dollars added onto the already large fee doesn't seem quite right...
    Dave
    Positive BST transactions with: Patches, Greencopper, 09sVDB, Ajia, Whatsup, RpmHunter, tander123,ModCrewman,Lablade

• Options
    $20 they can keep their opinion. i didnt know that.

mo money mo money mo money
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fees are charged for services rendered... if they are too steep, do not pay them. The TPG's are coin graders... as such, we pay for their services. I charge for my services (unrelated to coin grading) and do not care who thinks they are too high. I am worth it... and many customers obviously agree. Those who do not, are free to go elsewhere. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>mo money mo money mo money mo money

I have no comment on the subject other than the little guy just gets swept under table even further. So much for nurturing (sic) a YN or those new and on a smaller budget.

mo money mo money mo money >>

Bingo, 20 bucks seems like a transparent money grab to me
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$20 seems pricey to me for what I'm sure is a sentence worth of information. Probably a copy and paste job. They've looked at the coin, drop a Post It note with info in the box for free. image >>

I'm with you on this one! Hey, they have to make some sort of decision, just jot it down. 30 seconds at most. Don't need a fancy letter on
    company stationairy. Just use a PCGS post it note!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    It does seem pretty steep since the graders have already looked at the coin and made judgement. On the other hand they only spend a few seconds to a few minutes looking at the coin for the $30 we already pay. If you consider the amount of time it takes to write the comments in addition to the grade the $20 is pretty cheap.
  • Options
    What? No sticker? image

• Options
    I see fewer crossovers and an increase in the budget for post-it notes.

For the fees involved, a failure to cross ought to come with an explanation as part of the deal anyway.

JMHO here.

Guess I've been lucky, nearly all of my crossovers have made it, but that was a few years ago.

Perhaps things have changed since them. I honestly don't know.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For 99.99% of all coins this seems to have little value. For $20 you should get a formal appraisal letter for 15 minutes of total work to print out a paragraph on a letterhead). Sounds almost like an inverse-CAC sticker.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Hey, its an optional service. You don't want,

you don't get.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Not a fee I'll be ponying up. Generally when a coin doesn't cross, I can figure out why when I get it back and inspect it. If I can't figure out why, it usually crosses just fine on the second attempt. So, I'll be saving my $20 for the second attempt. image

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file