Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What are your collecting goals for 2008... How did you do now that we're closing in on 2009...

lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
Mine are relatively small... I need three Large Cents to complete the Braided Hair series...1839; 1840; and 1841. I'm looking to complete the series in VF or better.

Leo
Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Comments

• Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Well, with just 40 more minutes of 2007 to go here it indeed might be time to set some goals for next year:

1. Get a coin-related job in the US
    2. Write more articles on focused subjects
    3. Publish something in-print instead of online only
    4. Get at least 35% with my seated half dime date set (currently at 18.92%)

I think I can do thatimage

Dennis
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goal as usual: the most eye appealing coins I can afford.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, with just 40 more minutes of 2007 to go here it indeed might be time to set some goals for next year:

1. Get a coin-related job in the US
    2. Write more articles on focused subjects
    3. Publish something in-print instead of online only
    4. Get at least 35% with my seated half dime date set (currently at 18.92%)

I think I can do thatimage

Dennis >>

Happy New Year'simageimageimage
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    To discover and cultivate new areas of collecting interest that can be enjoyed on a modest budget, and mostly slab-free.
  • Options
    My goals are to focus one a few areas of collecting as opposed to the many I now have. Will probably sell a few Registry Sets and reinvest in the few areas I choose. My focus this year will be (Registry Sets will include Morgan Circulation Strikes and Proof Lincoln Cents with Varieties). Danso sets will include (Kennedy Half Dollars, Proofs and Uncirculated), Ike Dollars, Proof and Uncirculated) and Indian Head Cents Uncirculated. Just too many coins!
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    My goals are straightforward while others are slightly obsurd.

Add to my Capped Bust Dime and Half Dollar collections with coins in the VF-30 through AU-55 grades.
    Add any Draped Bust or Flowing Hair coins I find.
    Find a Summer Job at a coin store or like place.

...AND for my final goal, get accepted to a Study Abroad Program on Easter Island, buy 2 Easter Island coin sets, crack one set out and bury it somewhere on the island and keep the other set for myself.

What about the rest of you numismatists image
  • Options
    Collection consolidation and organization. I'm slabbing and selling a lot, then keeping my Danscos + a a couple boxes.
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    Buying Keys this year.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    marmacmarmac Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭
    1-First and foremost my goals are to thin out the "stuff" that resides my collection. The accumulated stuff, the things I have lost interest in, the duplicates...

2-Second goal is to continue forward on my type set and half cent collection.

3-Pick up at least one of the toughie date Half cents in 2008.

4- Review the bust dime/quarter series and determine which approach to take for my type set. Part of me likes the 1822 for my dime example but I feel like I am late to the party going after one of those. Further research and learning needed.

5- Get organized with everything in the collection.

So after reviewing my list above I can see I am going to have a busy year!! Might have to get started new years day!!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will add some coins to my collection. Most will be in PCGS slabs, some will be gold, some will be silver, and some will be whatever they feel like making them out of.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

Depends somewhat on how many of the Mint offerings I just have to have. Otherwise...

1) Keep learning, especially about Jeffs and Kennedys

2) Keep up with 2008 releases of 1/2-oz plats and burnished gold uncs

3) Perhaps fill in some missing holes in my proof 1/2-oz plat collection in OGP

4) Do a giveaway on this board! But what to give???

Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    1) Sell more than I buy, for once.

2) Find and purchase just one stunnning vintage coin to add to my collection.

3) Get my kids more interested in coin collecting.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Goal as usual: the most eye appealing coins I can afford. >>

And move some extra lincolns
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Stop buying generic coins until I have all of the keys in the half eagle set.

There are a lot of them. image
  • Options
    With my collector hat on as opposed to my dealer hat my goal is to make lots of progress on my holey coin type set. Since I attach the type set to my hat it is truly my collector's hat. image I will continue to look for upgrades to my birth year registry set but will continue to pass on upgrades that are too expensive. I'm glad I'm working on the holey coin hat because the registry set thing is slow going at this point.

BTW I think I'm off to a fast start - Lord Marcovan has several duplicates that fill holes in my set. Hey, can you fill holes with holey coins? image
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    to buy low and sell high.

Actually it would be nice to be able to afford to buy anything at all this year!
    Maybe after I finish paying of our land in the Philippines in August.
  • Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    Pretty lofty if not insane goal...

1. Deluxe COMITIA AMERICANA AND RELATED MEDALS Book
    2. Deluxe MOULTON HENRY VOIGHT BOOK
    3. 2-3 Capped Bust Quarters (1815-1828)
    4. Red Book varieties of 1834 Large Cents (4 pennies)
    5. Original Crosby Early Coins of America

...and a lot of macaroni and chess & baloney sandwiches.
  • Options
    Maybe start a set that I have had my eye on for awhile, early gold dollars. Never collected old gold yet but it seems very fun.

And just have fun learning as much as I can.

• Options
    Complete my bust dime set and cherrypick one coin thats worth over 100 dollars!!!

Dave
    Positive BST transactions with: Patches, Greencopper, 09sVDB, Ajia, Whatsup, RpmHunter, tander123,ModCrewman,Lablade

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Focus, Focus, Focus....and attempt to make my collecting a bit self sustaining! Work a bit more on my 7070 and large cents...maybe get some colonials, better darkside items, finish the Morgan date set as far as I can (no '93 etc.), add some more to my Washington, Franklin, Merc, Walker and Lincoln collection, oh...get the Kennedy collection up to date, organize my stuff, go to a couple more coin shows, meet some board members if possible, etc.

Same thing every year!

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    Dawg144Dawg144 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭
    Stop starting new sets that I can't finish image, and actually work on my 7070.
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To sell all of the stuff I have lost interest in(Mostly common date Morgans in 63-65 and SAE's) and concentrate on my new interest of Bust halves in Vf-Au.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    Same as 2007, learn a few things and have fun collecting.
    My humble '63 mint registry set, not much, but it's mine!
  • Options
    Mine is simple yet daunting; to be able to buy a coin in the series I collect. Sadly, the registry mania has made this very difficult unless I find it at a dealer who doesn't know how much the prices have actually accelerated! Auctions are almost impossible.
  • Options
    TavernTreasuresTavernTreasures Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Spend less on the Breweriana hobby, so that I can have more dough for the Coin hobby.....
    Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I'll sit back and wait for my pointman to let me know when a pop one surfaces onto the market so I can bid moon money for it. image

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    1838-D Half Eagle to complete my 9 pc Dahlonega type set.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Load up on nice classic foreign gold and silver from south america, europe, and india ...
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

<< <i>1838-D Half Eagle to complete my 9 pc Dahlonega type set. >>

Good luck. image
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    At least complete my Morgan prooflike date and mint mark set. Those darn varieties keep spreading me out a lot. Only have a handful more to go and only a couple really tough dates. This year may very well be it.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    Staying healthy so I can keep collecting.
  • Options
    start and complete the following rolls:
    mixed date circ. FD/IH
    1931-D 1C in AU
    1933-D 1C in AU
    1937-D 50C in XF
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting rid of most low-end, low-grade coins, and upgrading a few needed in my classic type set...
    Completing my gold type set with AU-MS coins...
    Aquiring a few key date coins that I currently don't have...
    Being involved as a dealer/seller, than just a buyer...
    Would like to work for a coin dealer "part-time" to gain work related experience in the numismatic field...
  • Options
    start focusing on my SLQ collection more serious and leave everything else alone. The new presidential series was my new goalas a new collector with limited funds but it has went way out of contol. Too many varieties to collect.
    collecting should be fun not a complete nightmare!

Good luck to a new Year everyone!
  • Options
    I had a good 07 and keep most of my goals:

For 08

(1) Continual getting upgrades for my Kennedy set.

(2) Start a new set of MS65 Franklin's non FBL

(3) Continual not buying into the mint hype and not getting anything from them.

(4) Selling of the last of my Modern Comm Half set and my Proof set's.

(5) Start selling my Graded Type set.

(6) Paying for my new coins with no out of pocket money --- it worked in 07

(6) Enjoy collecting

Happy New Year Everyone

Dan
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To get all of my ANACS and ICG coins crossed over to PCGS, SEGS, or SEGS!
    (Or else sold)
    Happy new year to all!!
    Tom
    Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OPS!! I meant crossed over to PCGS, NGC, or SEGS.
    (NCS is OK for the problem coins)
    Tom
    Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's so much coming onto the market this year that my collecting goal is simply to survive.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977

<< <i>There's so much coming onto the market this year that my collecting goal is simply to survive. >>

Andy, could you expand on this. We have had so much come to market in the past couple of years the bar is set quite high. Are you expecting even more than the recent past?

Happy New Year.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< There's so much coming onto the market this year that my collecting goal is simply to survive. >>

Andy, could you expand on this.

I collect on the Darkside, where things are not as readily available. Most notably, I've been collecting Central American Republic gold for 15 years. Of the roughly 55 coins required for a complete set, I may only have 15 coins, and I've never been outbid on one I really wanted. The good coins just don't come up for sale. Yet this year, I'll have the opportunity to nearly double the size of that collection.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ram1946ram1946 Posts: 762 ✭✭
    My goals are fairly defined:

1. Fill in two or three empty slots in my Buffalo collection
    2. Upgrade a handful of my exisiting Buffalo coins
    3. Complete the "Civil War" commemorative coin set
    4. Complete my WLH short set
    5. Hit Power Ball early in the year so I can accomplish objectives one through four
  • Options
    Shoot I have already hit 1/3 of my goal. It will be a long year if the rest comes in early also. image
  • Options
    to keep learning, dont buy slabbed anything. Work on type set.
  • Options
    ram1946ram1946 Posts: 762 ✭✭
    So, half-way through the year, how's everyone doing on their goals?

Mine? I've added two new pieces to my Buffalo collection and actually upgraded two others. I had hopes of completing the Civil War classic commem "set" and finishing the Walker short set but the herd is zapping my resources.

What about you?
  • Options
    MillerJWMillerJW Posts: 649 ✭✭
    Goals for 2008....

1) Get as many Silver Eagles for my dansco as possible without the wife getting too mad

2) Find a way to sneak in a few MS War Nickels without the wife killing me

3) Aquire as many coins as possible without going into too much debt!

Oh and live to make goals for '09!!! image
    MSgt USAF Jan-06 - Present
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    My goals have actually skewed from buying Bust Halve to Bust Quaters.
    I made this slight switch due to the fact that the Bust Quarter book was finally going to be published and I figured buying as many Bust Quarters now would save me money in the future.

I did pick up two Draped Bust Halves, but I actually sold one (to buy a bust quarter!)
    I don't have a job at a coin shop.
    My plans to go to Easter Island got cancelled image

I'll see what else I can pick up after this weekend at the coin show.
  • Options
    newbe goals 2008
    1. Begin learning how to grade
    2. Continuing to read a gain more knowledge
    3. Start a set of early silver commemorative ms65 or better
    4. Start collection of medals or tokens for my 2 boys of their choice on a modest budget
    5. last but not lease ski at lease 40 days in the deapest snow in east or west and get my boys addicted too both like their dadimage
  • Options
    My 2008 goal is to finnish goals set in 2004
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>newbe goals 2008
    1. Begin learning how to grade
    2. Continuing to read a gain more knowledge
    3. Start a set of early silver commemorative ms65 or better
    4. Start collection of medals or tokens for my 2 boys of their choice on a modest budget
    5. last but not lease ski at lease 40 days in the deapest snow in east or west and get my boys addicted too both like their dadimage >>

Great goals skibum! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file