Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

It's official - I've sold the last coin in my collection...

BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
...except my Dansco 7070 and a few (low value) odds and ends.

Got a check in the mail today for the last of them, being a C-mint Half Eagle. Next to last was a 73-CC dime.

Those of you who know me, know my collecting interests have waned over the last year or two (and those of you who don't know me, now you know, too image ) Over that time, I've sold my collection, the bulk of which was a complete set of Bust and Seated dimes from 1796 to 1891. I also had a few early Type Sets and am glad to know some of those coins are now with board members. A good part of my loss of interest has to do with the significant amount of "game playing" in this business/hobby (grading adventures, doctoring, etc.) as well as outright fraud. Anyway, I haven't lost interest completely and am still reading and posting here, though less frequently than in the past. Who knows, there may be a coin or two in an upcoming auction I may buy, pending dealer evaluation.

Happy New Year, all.

(edited for typo)

Comments

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you'll be back

they ALL come back eventually

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A good part of my loss of interest has to do with the significant amount of "game playing" in this business/hobby (grading adventures, doctoring, etc.) as well as outright fraud. >>

I agree with this statement. I hope to move into more esoteric areas in 2008 which are less prone to such problems.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    ram1946ram1946 Posts: 762 ✭✭
    From an infrequent poster but a constant listener, I've enjoyed your contributions, insights and appreciation of numismatics. Hope this is only a lull.

Dick
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree with this statement. I hope to move into more esoteric areas in 2008 which are less prone to such problems. >>

Word. I am too deeply bittn by the bug to lose interest in collecting. I just want to develop interests which are, for now, mostly devoid of the aspects of the hobby which have become objectionable to me.
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    "A good part of my loss of interest has to do with the significant amount of 'game playing' in this business/hobby (grading adventures, doctoring, etc.) as well as outright fraud."

Sorry to hear of your loss of interest. Fraud and game playing permeates most businesses, no?
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A good part of my loss of interest has to do with the significant amount of "game playing" in this business/hobby (grading adventures, doctoring, etc.) as well as outright fraud. >>

I can understand your feelings. Sometimes I feel numismatics is much more rewarding/enjoyable than collecting.
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>you'll be back

they ALL come back eventually

image >>

Yep!imageimage
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can understand your feelings. Sometimes I feel numismatics is much more rewarding/enjoyable than collecting. >>

To a degree. Collecting enhances my enjoyment of numismatics, but I don't have to collect something or own it in order for me to be interested in it. That's one thing I love about this place; I get to live vicariously through other people's coins. image
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    It's a shame to me that so many intelligent collectors are disenchanted with this awesome hobby because of the doctoring, fraud, grading games, etc... I understand that every hobby or endeavor will have its bad apples, but I sometimes worry about the future of numismatics..
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options

<< <i>...except my Dansco 7070 and a few (low value) odds and ends.

Got a check in the mail today for the last of them, being a C-mint Half Eagle. Next to last was a 73-CC dime.

Those of you who know me, know my collecting interests have waned over the last year or two (and those of you who don't know me, now you know, too image ) Over that time, I've sold my collection, the bulk of which was a complete set of Bust and Seated dimes from 1796 to 1891. I also had a few early Type Sets and am glad to know some of those coins are now with board members. A good part of my loss of interest has to do with the significant amount of "game playing" in this business/hobby (grading adventures, doctoring, etc.) as well as outright fraud. Anyway, I haven't lost interest completely and am still reading and posting here, though less frequently than in the past. Who knows, there may be a coin or two in an upcoming auction I may buy, pending dealer evaluation.

Happy New Year, all.

(edited for typo) >>

Maybe it's just the area of numismatics and collecting you were in. Seems like there's a lot of emotion, money, passion in certain collecting areas which probably makes them more inviting targets for the unscrupulous activities you mention. That's one thing about collecting the classics that would make it nerve racking, instead of relaxing.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck.

(I hope that means you get more involved with the hobby. image )
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    So how about a ballpark on how you did. Nothing specific.....just "my hobby cost me dearly" or "Woo Hoo".

I personally hate the thought of messing with coin dealers and that should not be interpreted as an "all bad" statement. Like I said in another post I've kind of filtered into modern crap fringe autograph stuff. Who knows why I like it, but I do. I can tell you who I caught the bug from.

Smalldollars.com

To me this is what collecting is about. Find out what you like and research the heck out of it and have fun doing it.

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barry,

I have enjoyed your participation in the hobby and forum, your friendship, and am honored to have an ex-Barry piece in my collection. image

RYK
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you still have a dansco 7070 , your still in the game image
    There will always be that next coin that could be upgraded image

Happy NYE !
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    Thanks for all the comments, so far. Yes, keeping my 7070 means I'm not gone...

So how about a ballpark on how you did. Nothing specific.....just "my hobby cost me dearly" or "Woo Hoo".

You mean did I make money or lose (which had little to do with my decision to sell)?
    Overall, I did well, probably doubling my money. I had quite a few keys and nice pre-1800 coins which I purchased 5-10 years ago. I don't need to tell you how much a Chain Cent or a 74-CC dime has appreciated over that time period. There were a few I lost on, or broke even, but those were most likely coins purchased within the last 2 years.

Barry,

I have enjoyed your participation in the hobby and forum, your friendship, and am honored to have an ex-Barry piece in my collection.

RYK

Likewise, Robert. Only one? image
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    As others have said, enjoyed your posts and hope you'll still be posting! image
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    << A good part of my loss of interest has to do with the significant amount of "game playing" in this business/hobby (grading adventures, doctoring, etc.) as well as outright fraud. >>

I agree with this statement. I hope to move into more esoteric areas in 2008 which are less prone to such problems.

---------

that post does not get a sticker. ^^^^

good luck barry in whatever you decide to do!
  • Options
    I have not met you but you sound like a stand up collector. I am also struggling with the clicks and doctoring of coins. Coming here though has really helped me know some of what to expect and accept. This hobby will bounce back. It has to. Good luck with your collecting and god speed...

Have a very Happy New Year...

Adam
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes a good long break works wonders! Best of luck to you in the new year.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, it's great that you came out ahead! Dabble in inexpensive things as you wish to and you may well find it relaxing to deal in "cheap stuff" that really won't hurt you if you have to sell at a loss. Naturally though, dealers will happily sell you such items, but be loathe to take them back at anything other than a firesale price. image
  • Options
    BRdudeBRdude Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Barry, >>

<< <i>I have enjoyed your participation in the hobby and forum, your friendship, and am honored to have an ex-Barry piece in my collection. >>

I will ditto thatimage Ya gotta stick around Barry. Your passion for the hobby will overtake any negativities. Everyone needs and takes a break occasionally..
    AKA kokimoki
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
    Join the NRA and protect YOUR right to keep and bear arms
    To protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart. Theodore Roosevelt
    [L]http://www.ourfallensoldier.com/ThompsonMichaelE_MemorialPage.html[L]
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Shoot, I wish I knew you were selling a C-mint Half Eagle. image

I sure hope you find a way to get back in the game we can use all of the experienced collectors that are available to continue enhancing the hobby.
  • Options
    I started collecting over 50 years ago, and I haven't lost interest in the hobby yet.
    But I too, may begin to sell off my collection.
    Two heart surgeries, and then carotid surgery after 2 strokes, and I have to face the reality that either I sell my things, or my heirs do.
    I know the value of my coins, and have a better chance of not being cheated than my kids.
    I think I'll feel real down when the time comes, regardless of how much I may realize on the sale.

Ray

• Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

<< <i>I started collecting over 50 years ago, and I haven't lost interest in the hobby yet.
    Two heart surgeries, and then carotid surgery after 2 strokes, and I have to face the reality that either I sell my things, or my heirs do.
    I know the value of my coins, and have a better chance of not being cheated than my kids.
    I think I'll feel real down when the time comes, regardless of how much I may realize on the sale.

Ray >>

This is a decision most of us have to make one day. I agree with the decison you're making and wish you the best!!!!!!! image
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started collecting over 50 years ago, and I haven't lost interest in the hobby yet.

Ray - Selling your coins may make sense, but mortality is is no reason to stop collecting. Just pick a new series to collect that has less zeroes in the prices. There are wonderful things to collect in every price range. Of course, there are also miserable things to collect in every price range, but I'm sure you'll choose your series wisely.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck... hope you return soon.... drop in now and then to let us know how you are doing. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    QRT?
    Very 73
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barry...Congrats and good luck for the new year!

Leo
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I agree with this statement. I hope to move into more esoteric areas in 2008 which are less prone to such problems. >>

Word. I am too deeply bittn by the bug to lose interest in collecting. I just want to develop interests which are, for now, mostly devoid of the aspects of the hobby which have become objectionable to me. >>

Well said. I returned to collecting just a few years ago and I already have some "great" stories; I keep most them to myself for various reasons. For me, collecting is a hobby and a stress release. I try to keep it that way but sometimes it is tough to ignore the BS.

I have enjoyed your posts and hope you catch the bug again soon.image

• Options
    RRRR Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    Well, Barry, I guess with that extra time on your hands I'll be seeing you in a few more pile-ups. (hi)

HNY!

RR
    <html />
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an ex-Barry coin in my Dansco...

Maybe you should try poking around the Darkside...lots of things of interest over there --but I only found one coin with an eyeball on it so far image

Cathy

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    "Noone ever leaves the Firm"

bar... try the DARKSIDE, go to your heritage and peruse history... or go far back into the ancients!!!
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good part of my loss of interest has to do with the significant amount of "game playing" in this business/hobby (grading adventures, doctoring, etc.) as well as outright fraud.

Comes with the territory, I think. But also - as several others have said, there are certainly other areas of numismatics where those factors don't play nearly as big a role.

I think that most rare coin pricing is a house of cards, so 95% of the time, I play with stuff that has value, but not alot of premium.

The "numismatically important" stuff? I buy a nice piece occasionally, but I allow enough time between purchases (usually years) to give me plenty of time for reflection.

By the time I am ready to subject myself to the "process," I know pretty much what I want and why I want it, devoid of game playing. Oh, and if a dealer plays with me, it's the last time - no exceptions. There's plenty of people to buy a coin from.

If you stick around Barry, perhaps we'll cross paths in a thread. If not, good luck to ya.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I woulda kept that lovely '74 CC dime. You put together a complete set of dimes 1796-1891? That is an awesome accomplishment!

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    Thanks mr1874. The 74-CC dime is currently in good hands, with a gung-ho Seated Dime collector (and board member.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file