Home Metal Detecting

Found a interesting little lock.

Hey everyone. Long time lurker of this forum and first time poster. I don't own a detector but have always enjoyed reading about yours finds. And of course Lord Marcovans tales of mystery and intrigue.

I am down visiting my folks in Naples Florida for Christmas. They have a cheap metal detector and are on the beach. So I decided to give it a try.

First night out I got about almost $2 dollars in clad change and a Dolce and Gabbana clasp for a swimsuit. O and of course a ton of trash. I am not great at determing targets. As it just beeps when I find metal. Not too bad for a rookie.

So I decided to go out again tonight. This time in front of the Ritz Carlton which about a mile from there place. Found a bunch of trash screws bottle caps and .81 cents in clad.

But I also found an little silver lock. I was detecting at night so I just stuck it in my pocket. When I got home I examined it and it says Tiffany and Co. 925. I googled it and it looks exactly like this one I borrowed a pic of. It is part of necklace, I found the lock only.

I was thrilled to find some silver and am starting to get hooked on this hobby. I just may have to break down and buy a detector.

If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?

Comments

• You found a good reason to try out the hobby ;-)

Have Fun

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Buy it for fun and the exercise... The machine will pay for itself in about a year at the rate you are going with the modern coinage and much sooner if you keep digging up jewelry like that! To borrow a slogan from Nike, JUST DO IT! Buy it now and have a blast, you will not lose out on the purchase! Worse case you dig up a hundred bucks of modern coins in a year (like the pace you are setting), another hundred in jewelry and relics and then sell the machine for $75.00 less than you paid! A NO LOSE SITUATION!

Have fun, do it for fun and HAPPY HUNTING!

Rick

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beaches can be fun, 'cause the diggin's easy and the potential for jewelry is probably better than any other place.

We have pretty nice beaches here but I haven't hunted them for years, even though my Garrett 2500 is probably up to the challenge, with its Salt Elimination feature.

You really don't need much more than a cheapo machine for the beach, if you have something that works (and doesn't go haywire in the wet sand). I dig every signal on the beach.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • line , hook , and sinker!....welcome to the hobby...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the hobby... happy hunting.... Cheers, RickO
  • laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    It seems to me if the lock came off then the rest of it fell off too. I'd go back to where you found the little lock and spread out your search.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".