Home Metal Detecting
Options

New DFX

Well my DFX came in today.....and well...I have come to the conclusion that my house was built on top of a aluminum can recycling center!!! It got dark before I could get home with it so I had to hunt in the dark. I found a couple of brass shell casings and about 12 aluminum cans and such. No coins though. I had the DFX set in coin mode because I knew there would be a lot of trash (house is less than 9 years old). Either way, I hope one day to post some nice finds to make you "pros" jealous!!!!
Todd

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations... happy hunting. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Congrats! I look forward to your finds.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have come to the conclusion that my house was built on top of a aluminum can recycling center!!! >>

Ahh, welcome to the club, laddie!

But... have you dug HUGE CHUNKS OF ALUMINUM SIDING, eh? image Hmmm? Hmmm?

My backyard proved to be very unexciting, in the one and only time I tried it.

(#5, the only coin, BTW, is a crusty 1962 Memorial cent. Woohoo.)

Our property was the site of a ballfield in the late '50s/early '60s, so there is some possibility of silver, but after that one attempt, I'd had enough. I was intrigued to see that it went back at least to 1914 or so on the deeds, but only as part of a farm. (It's still out in the rural boondocks today.) I doubt there were any buildings on our two lots prior to the 1960s or so. Before being a ballfield, it was nothing but cow pasture.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    We searched a wheat field yesterday because we were told an old 1900's house used to be there.....turned out to be a 1900's barn. image
    We found a lot of old horse shoes, nails, and small pieces of bridle bits and such but no coins.
    Todd
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After you clear the junk, it is usually worth going back to such a site.... go slow and deep.... there are coins there. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    If this is your first detector you might want to seed your yard with some common coins of various denominations. Plant them down at various depths and then wait a week or so before actually trying to find them (you will find you forgot where all of them are that way). Knowing you have a yard high in trash factor will give you a better idea of how your DFX works in that environment and give you excellent practice in reading your display and hearing the tones.

Good luck!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What ricko said. Those old barn sites can be aggravating, with the rusty-crusties they produce, but they CAN produce coins and other goodies. Sometimes the farmer hid his cache out there, too.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    The field has been plowed for the past 50 years for corn and other products. Most of the horseshoes were at 2 to 3 inches and the nails came in at around 4.5 to 6 inches. I was able to find the heads of nails at 6 inches. I found one piece of an aluminum can, obviously from one of the people working the field, and a rod that appears to be a piece of a bridle bit for a horse. Oh yeah, I found a piece of sqaure metal, about 2 inches by 2 inches, and had a square hole in the middle of it. Not quite sure what it was. THe detector never once gave a signal to indicate any silver or coins that day. THe highest signal I got was on the aluminum can. (When I say high I mean tone wise and VDI Number wise).
    Todd
  • Options
    Every time they turn the soil...you get a new place to hunt ;-)

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

<< <i>After you clear the junk, it is usually worth going back to such a site.... go slow and deep.... there are coins there. Cheers, RickO >>

I also agree with Ricko. The beauty of cleaning out the garbage on private property is if there is anything interesting there, you will eventually be the receipient of it. Whenever I'm cleaning the garbage out of parks (as most of us do), I can't help feeling that I'm setting the table for the next detectorist to scoop the previously masked goodies. HH.

"to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."