Home Metal Detecting
Options

Why should we report valuable finds?

ok, I'm trying to start getting back into MDing, and I'm very familiar with the rules and how everything works, however I want to question this one for the sake of a law change.
Anyway, say hypothetically someone finds a 15th century treasure chest while MDing. Say it's appraised for $500k . Now this guy does all the work, all the research, etc. unless the find has to do with a crime, which in this instance, it shouldn't because it's 15th century. even if it had to do with crime, the criminals wouldn't be alive. What is the government going to do, put a dead body on death row? (with the way Bush is running things however, I wouldn't be surprised lol) I mean you guys know as well as I do, they would confiscate the find in a mere second. I'm not trying to be greedy, I care about the well being of countries very much, but honestly. the majority of that money would go to politicians, who's job nowdays is to sit on their bums for 5 hours till their shift is over, and the occasional signing of rediculous laws like that you can't keep a pool less than 8 feet from the fence or you get fined. So to get back on topic, if this person did all the work, why should the government be any part of it? they do nothing but make our hobby more difficult if anything and do barely anything of benefit to anybody. I say finders keepers.
Happy Hunting!image

Comments

• Options
    You ain't gonna find no 15th century treasure chest worth $500K so stop worrying.

Ray
  • Options
    I isn't even New Years Eve yet...put the bottle down...image
  • Options

<< <i>I isn't even New Years Eve yet...put the bottle down...image >>

wow, you're good. you must have cameras somewhere in my house lol.
    you better not have any in the bathroom
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options

<< <i> What is the government going to do, put a dead body on death row? >>

It wouldn't be the first time that's happened. Charles II of England did it to Oliver Cromwell's dug-up corpse in 1662.
  • Options
    CgbCgb Posts: 710

<< <i>You ain't gonna find no 15th century treasure chest worth $500K so stop worrying.

Ray >>

Yeah, you better settle for some 14th century booty.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be vewy, vewy quiet.... do not report or brag about it... slowly dispose of it through collectors markets. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> What is the government going to do, put a dead body on death row? >>

It wouldn't be the first time that's happened. Charles II of England did it to Oliver Cromwell's dug-up corpse in 1662. >>

all I can say to that is WOW! imageimage
    Happy Hunting!image