Home Metal Detecting
Options

My first hunt

I've been lurking here for a few months. I've always wanted to get a detector, but never had. The closest I got was borrowing a cheap-o toy from a friend for a trip to Martha's Vineyard 25 years ago. It had a 4" ring, but couldn't locate the quarter I set on top of the ground. But my interest has been renewed since finding this forum. I walk my dog with my friends in parks and greenbelts a lot and I've been going on and on about how awesome it would be to bring a detector out, and I bet there's some really cool stuff just a few inches down over there, and just generally being all Fred C. Dobbs whenever we go somewhere. Well, they surprised the hell out of me with a Bounty Hunter IV for Christmas. I couldn't believe that. Truly generous.

After giving it a test run in the backyard yesterday (found the eraser cap off a pencil, a metal bracket, some sort of clip, and 2 rusty nails), I kind of got the hang of the algebra of the beeps and boops it makes. Today, I took my dog to a school in a semi-ritzy section of town, sure there would be something to find on the football fields. And sure enough, there was. Naturally, I forgot my digging tool on the kitchen counter (rookie mistake), so I couldn't do much excavating, not that I would go very deep in the football field, anyway. But I was there not 2 minutes and I found a ring sitting right on the surface. I didn't need a detector for it, but if I didn't have it, I wouldn't have been looking down in that spot. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's silver, on the inside it says .825 and then a couple of marks, one of which I can't describe except to say it's a couple loops, and the other looks like a copyright symbol. It's a tiny thing, probably for a young girl (it was a middle school). For karma's sake I am going to send it to the school's office in case someone's looking for it. So that was pretty cool.

A bunch of other assorted hits around the outside of the running track, but nothing I could get to. I wanted to find something else noteworthy. Then I went into the wooded area off the end of the track and got a big hit. It registered very strong with a tone that is supposed to be 'gold and nickel' according to the manual. I dug a bit with my foot, and found nothing, but the signal was still there. The earth was very loose and spongy, so I kept scarping away with my foot. Eventually, I was on my hands and knees, digging with a sharp rock. The signal was still there. I unearthed a large rock. The signal was still there. I kept going, and at one point it actually crossed my mind that,"I am digging for buried treasure." I kept going, until the signal wasn't there anymore. Then I started sifting through the dirtpile with my hands, scanning handfuls with the detector. Finally, I found it, an oblong object about 2 inches long, 3/4" wide. It looked like a rock, but it was very light, like it was hollow. As it was getting dark, I took my dog and my detector and my discoveries and headed home. Once there, I took this weird object and started picking at it. Within a few seconds, I figured out what it was...a balled up piece of aluminum foil. And there wasn't a secret stash inside or anything. I noted a couple other intense sounding spots, so I'll go back there soon with my tools. And I'm sure there's some cool stuff in the woods.
WANTED:
2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay

Comments

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the detector side, not bad for a first hunt with a new detector- a silver ring! image
  • Options
    You have a good start on hunting. Good luck on your next trip.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Welcome! A very good first hunt! May the coins of old be found under your feet and be plentiful! Good luck and happy hunting... I hope your luck continues and gets even better as you learn your machine and what those tools are needed for image

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .825 is indeed silver! WTG!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    It's possible that it's stamped ".925" for Sterling, but the bottom point of the 9 might be connected making it seem like an "8".
  • Options
    Great story and congrats on the find....you are well on your way to a rewarding hobby.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great start... enjoy the forum and the hunt... Cheers, RickO