Home Metal Detecting
Options

Should I put my batteries back in and do some snow hunting?

Was leaving a local tavern last night and outside a couple were in a fight- both looked to have way to many and they had a couple of friends around. Anyways, the guy grabbed and slapped the girl around some before their friends pulled him off, the usual name throwing and vulgarities followed and then I saw the girl throw something- she appeared (it was dark and I had had a few myself) to pull it off her finger and it ended up near the guy or in the snow. He then proceded to crawl around in the snow with a lighter and later with the light from his cell phone. I proceded to leave, but it dawned on me this morning that what probably was thrown was an engagement ring and I know some here have talked about hunting snow banks- the spot is on public land so hunting would be no problem. Would you look for it? - knowing the circumstances of what happened and how it got there? Its a small town and I remember the couple from inside the tavern, they didn't appear to be locals either so I don't know how one would go about finding them- or maybe just the guy- but after seeing him wrench the girl around by the hair-not sure I would want to find him. The weather is going to be nice today and part of tomorrow to do it- but I'm leaning towards not bothering with it under the circumstances.

Comments

• Options
    Get out there!!!!
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You betcha I'd be there. I way you described it it shouldn't be that big of an area to search. Let us know what you find.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would already be mine... would have went out the same night. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    that's an easy find

get out there

find it and sell it back to themimage

Jim
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    I would have the batteries back in that puppy and out digging for gold in the snow! Snow is much easier to dig in anyway... Not to mention the close proximity to anti freeze to celebrate the find afterwards image

Happy hunting!
    Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well... what are the results? Inquiring minds want to know.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Well, it rained all day, didn't feel like taking the detector out in it. I did walk the area pretty good as the snow had mostly melted, didn't see anything. There is a large snow bank that something could have gone into, its probably rock hard now as the temperature has dropped well below freezing again. Will maybe wait and give the area a good going over in the spring. It did make me think though that with all the fights that do happen around bars, there might be some other good finds from stuff lost while the fists are flying. Have never hit any sites around taverns as most are usually paved.
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Well I stopped by the tavern on Christmas eve for a little nip of some Christmas cheer and learned the fate of the ring.... Someone knew the couple and about the fight- it was an engagement ring that got tossed- a $3K one, but the fellow got lucky, the ring bounced off his chest and he was able to find it that night with the light from his cell phone. So it looks like I would have only been wasting my time and getting wet if I had decided to hunt. Looks like December will be a no go this year after all- only the second month I wasn't able to get out and hunt in 2007. Will have to save my new headphones and their trial run for March or April. HH and Merry Christmas!
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least you got the background on the ring. It sure would have be nice to be able to find something like that. Makes you wonder how many engagement rings get tossed. I know that it happens with Senior rings too as I found one that had been tossed.