Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What '80s wrestler do the CU board members most remind you of?

2»

Comments

• Options
    I want to be Mr. Wonderful Paul Orndorff, but without the bandaid on the back from the steroid injections...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    80sJunkie is
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Topps just came out with these A&G cards.

• Options
    You're kidding! Where do you get those?
  • Options

<< <i>Topps just came out with these A&G cards.

image >>

I don't know which is better...Don "The Rock" Muraco on a card, or The British Bulldog w/ Matilda!

• Options

<< <i>You're kidding! Where do you get those? >>

These are in the Topps WWE Heritage III packs, I believe...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You're kidding! Where do you get those? >>

These are in the Topps WWE Heritage III packs, I believe... >>

Correct. You can buy the set on ebay though for about $10-15.
  • Options
    Sellsheet.

edit, can't link the Topps pic.
  • Options
    ...or a bus.
  • Options

<< <i>Tonya,

I believe t'was the bushwhackers, and they were Kiwi's (new Zealand) not rednecks.....pfffft!

image >>

Yes, that's them! LOL. Those two were funny!
    Tonya
  • Options
    i want to be Haystacks Calhoun

I already called Haystack a few pages back, Perry!

There's a hole in my head where the rain comes in.
  • Options
    If you must, I'll take Baron von Rashke ... "The Clawmaster."

• Options

Captain Lou Albano and Joe Orlando, circa 1981.
  • Options
    Ahhh, the memories - you guys crack me up.

I remember finding out the Rock & Roll Buck Zumhoff (sp?) had a place by my house and my friend and I biked over to meet him. He was very nice and gave us both autographed pictures - the good old days of youth!!

Take it easy,
    Jared
    "You consider me the young apprentice,
    Caught between the Scylla and Charibdes,
    Hypnotized by you if I should linger,
    Staring at the ring around your finger" - Sting

Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i> i want to be Haystacks Calhoun

I already called Haystack a few pages back, Perry!
    >>

??? no, you didnt.
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    I think that I would consider myself someone like "Quickdraw" Rick McGraw or David Sammartino (no, not Bruno...his son David)
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Forget the wrestlers I just want to be the ref that has to get in the middle of a match involving her. Kelly Kelly....

• Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    Chaz is really Chief Jay Strongbow !!!!! chaz

• Options
    I was checking out the Piper's Pit link on YouTube and, as it often does, it led to countless other videos including this one of wrestlers who have died under the age of 65 over the past 20 years. A lot of fairly young guys on the list and you have to wonder how many were steroid related.

Snorto~
  • Options
    ??? no, you didnt.

Just playin' ... Haystack is ALL you.

Merry Christmas to me.

Oh, wait ... Didn't Stephanie already say that?
  • Options
    I was always partial for the Birdman... Koko B. Ware!

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    stitzen/keene/killann/brians/axtell/snowe white=both the mulke broths combined 150 ponds wet-awa 25+ years ago-image
  • Options
    The wrestler I admired was Bret the "Hitman" Hart. He knew how to wrestle but could punch. Finishing hold the Sharpshooter. His music after he was introduced was great.
    Collecting 1955 Topps BB
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    DPeck really missed out on this thread.....ha ha, it is now time to revive it. I wanna come up with one for him but do not have one at the moment. Perhaps he can self ID one for himself.

I'll pick Harley Race for myself and remain "The King"
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harley Race is a great choice. A real tough guy in the ring and out of it.

• Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Surely there's a Bruno Samartino amongst us??
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Me - Dynamite Kid (Loved that guy, especially his Japan stuff with Tiger Mask (Sayama)...too bad he was too high risk for his day and had his career cut short due to overdoing it...hear he's in a wheelchair nowadays also sad.

Grote15 - Bret Hart (A collecting purist and a master technician)

CPAMike - Dean Malenko (The man of 1000 unopened boxes)

DanBessette - Arn Anderson (The enforcer of the boards, and if you step out of line, he'll give you the business!)

Larkincollector - Paul Heyman (The master of the keyboard, as well as witty insight and debates)

VintagemanEd - Brooklyn Brawler (The opening match)
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I remember starting this thread 9 years ago and getting some good entertainment from it at the time! Not as active here as much these days, but love to see it resurrected and hope it can be revived!
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    These clowns taken?

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blast from the past. It was a good read then, and still is now. Some CU HOFers in this thread.
  • Options
    Jimmy, I think you've got mine wrong. WCK says I remind him of some idiot who ate a turnbuckle.
  • Options
    lol, I remember that I apologize...too funny...

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    How could anyone not be a fan of dink?
  • Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    Just call me Dutch Mantel!
  • Options
    DPeck has to be Rick "The Model" Martel.

Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Gemyanks10
    Larkincollector - Paul Heyman (The master of the keyboard, as well as witty insight and debates)

I'm not quite that bald, yet image
  • Options

@wrestlingcardking said:

Ha ha, you never responded! :-)

• Options
    edited April 12, 2019 7:50PM

@wrestlingcardking said:

@wrestlingcardking said:

That’s fair but I felt more like a Von Erich because of the female response.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:

@wrestlingcardking said:

@wrestlingcardking said:

Don’t think you want to be a Von Erich for obvious reasons. Such a shame what happened to that family with so many early deaths.

KC

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gemyanks10 said:

Hmmm, I never looked into this to see if it was a compliment or an insult :D

• Options

@KendallCat said:

@Dpeck100 said:

@wrestlingcardking said:

@wrestlingcardking said:

Don’t think you want to be a Von Erich for obvious reasons. Such a shame what happened to that family with so many early deaths.

KC

No doubt. When I had my meet and greet with RIc Flair we talked about his match with Kerry in 84 for the belt and he said it was awful working with Kerry at that time because he was in no condition to wrestle that afternoon. Unfortunately there were many other instances where you could say the same thing. Kerry was so gifted but life is complicated and he obviously made some terrible decisions.

• Options

No doubt. When I had my meet and greet with RIc Flair we talked about his match with Kerry in 84 for the belt and he said it was awful working with Kerry at that time because he was in no condition to wrestle that afternoon. Unfortunately there were many other instances where you could say the same thing. Kerry was so gifted but life is complicated and he obviously made some terrible decisions.

Back when I finished playing ball in college I was training for pro wrestling down in south Florida with Duke “the Dumpster”Droese, Anthony Adonis, and a few other WWE guys, and what people don’t realize about pro wrestling is that your heath and safety are dependent on the other guy knowing what to do and not breaking your neck or other body parts. If a guy is stoned or coked up that is not a good recipe. Or a guy on a roid rage who just got in a fight with his GF and wants to take it out on you in the ring.

People would always ask me “can you do such and such move” and my answer was it depends. I can do a Frankensteiner, which was about as difficult a move to pull at the time, but only if it was Anthony (Paul Gabano) who I Had known since we were playing ball as kids and he knew to grab me as I head scissored him. Someone does not know what they are doing with that move and I am in Baptist Hospital with a broken neck.

KC

• Options

@KendallCat said:

Back when I finished playing ball in college I was training for pro wrestling down in south Florida with Duke “the Dumpster”Droese, Anthony Adonis, and a few other WWE guys, and what people don’t realize about pro wrestling is that your heath and safety are dependent on the other guy knowing what to do and not breaking your neck or other body parts. If a guy is stoned or coked up that is not a good recipe. Or a guy on a roid rage who just got in a fight with his GF and wants to take it out on you in the ring.

People would always ask me “can you do such and such move” and my answer was it depends. I can do a Frankensteiner, which was about as difficult a move to pull at the time, but only if it was Anthony (Paul Gabano) who I Had known since we were playing ball as kids and he knew to grab me as I head scissored him. Someone does not know what they are doing with that move and I am in Baptist Hospital with a broken neck.

KC

Dude that sounds incredible! So much athleticism required to pull that move off!

For those that aren't wrestling buffs here is the move first debuted by Scott Steiner. at the 3:27 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9C5EPuLr5o

He has lost a ton of size but I will be seeing him wrestle in late June at the Armory here in Orlando. It is going to be a blast cheering for the Big Bad Booty Daddy.

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bushwhackers - Bo and Luke

Snacking each other in the head yelling “oye oye”.

Crisser - Greg “the hammer” Valentine. Always up for sneaky tricks.

• Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

Me and King Kong Bundy because every card I submit to PSA comes back a 5!

Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options

@mcolney1 said:
    Me and King Kong Bundy because every card I submit to PSA comes back a 5!

This is a perfect response!

• Options

At the time, and have to preface this was the late 80’s/early 90’s it was the toughest move in wrestling. The one where Flair would get thrown into the corner and flip over and land on the apron and run down the apron was a tough one -took a few lumps to learn that one.

People don’t realize how much pain these guys are in from injuries, mistakes... and can’t take a night off or risk getting cut or dropping down the list on a card/promotion. That is why the alcohol and drug abuse was/is so high. I remember when I lived in Charlotte for a year and trained at Flair’s Gold’s Gym. Never saw Ric there but David worked out there and double A (Arn Anderson) would be in there. Man he was banged up and could barely walk.

Funniest moment I had in a match with Paul(Anthony Adonis) was where he slammed me and went up to the top of the turnbuckle, and I laid out and tucked my arms in so he could come off the top rope with an elbow with a finishing move and end the match. I got the cue to end the match and time was up but he did not (these days the ref has an earpiece and lets the wrestlers know how much time they have left to finish the match and keep it on time for TV or PPV), and I am laying there waiting for the elbow and he is trying to wink at me to get up - probably because I was halfway or more across the ring, finally he launches and barely makes it but took a huge bump doing the move.

Watching that Steiner match was old school. Usually almost all matches started with a collar and elbow lockup then with a headlock with a rope run and the same sequence -tackle/drop down/leapfrog/hip toss/arm drag. This was followed up a few arm twists to kill time and then another lock up and another sequence. Today is just a long choreographed match with a lot of action.

KC