Home Metal Detecting
Options

LM....or anyone else that might know...I found

this coin a few years ago, and have never really known what it was..I think it's from France...Any ideas?

A 1784 whatzit?

Comments

• Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Link to a coin like it. Link
    Info on the coin here Link Very bottom of the page, last coin.
    Here is the info pasted.
    Sol, 1785, 29.5mm. Obv: LUDOV.XVI | D. GRATIA, portrait looking left. Rev: FRANCE ET (mint mark) NAVARRE REX 1785, shield with three lis surmounted by a large crown. Also have the same, 1791, 1786. As visitor with sharper eyes than mine id's the mint as 'K,' Mint is Bordeaux. D1714
    I know yours is a 1784 but this was the closest I could find, should put you in the right track! (Best I can do without a good World Coin book!)
    Todd
  • Options
    I think you nailed it!...That looks exactly like mine, with the exception of the one year difference in the date.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    That's an awesome coin you have there Millenium. How long has that one been sitting around unidentified?
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't see your Fotki pix on this server, but if you are discussing that coin you found on Jekyll years ago, then yes, it's a French sol.

I just sold a lot of coins to a forum member here, and there was one in the lot.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    That's it LM.......I found it several years ago, Speer,...(7 maybe) and never did find out what it was....then I forgot about it until I was redoing the Fotki pages this week....
    Thanks for the help guys.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find... Cheers, RickO